Обсуждение: How do I manage PDF file

How do I manage PDF file

От
Terence Ng
Дата:
Hi,

For a catalogue, one or more products are described by
a PDF file regarding to the specification of the
products. And there are many files.

How should I manage these PDF files?  Could I store
these files to PostgreSQL or I can only store the
links to these files?

Best regards,
Terence

Re: How do I manage PDF file

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 23 Jul 2003 at 21:03, Terence Ng wrote:
> How should I manage these PDF files?  Could I store
> these files to PostgreSQL or I can only store the
> links to these files?

Store them in database if you can afford the space. It offers transaction safe
data handling which name linking approach does not offer..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
QOTD:    Ludwig Boltzmann, who spend much of his life studying statistical
mechanics died in 1906 by his own hand.  Paul Ehrenfest, carrying    on the work,

Re: How do I manage PDF file

От
Jonathan Bartlett
Дата:
You can store them in the filesystem or in PostgreSQL.  In PostgreSQL, you
can either store them as BLOBs or bytea columns.  I prefer bytea columns
for numerous reasons.  The only reason I can think of to use a BLOB is if
you only want to return _part_ of the file.

Jon

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Terence Ng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For a catalogue, one or more products are described by
> a PDF file regarding to the specification of the
> products. And there are many files.
>
> How should I manage these PDF files?  Could I store
> these files to PostgreSQL or I can only store the
> links to these files?
>
> Best regards,
> Terence

Re: How do I manage PDF file

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
> You can store them in the filesystem or in PostgreSQL.  In PostgreSQL, you
> can either store them as BLOBs or bytea columns.  I prefer bytea columns
> for numerous reasons.  The only reason I can think of to use a BLOB is if
> you only want to return _part_ of the file.
And even that can be done with substr() which I have used to
allow for chunked fetching of BLOBs over socket
implementations that die when overloaded (due to faulty flow
control).

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346