Обсуждение: Can anybody recommend an IDE for writing SQL/PLPSQL

Can anybody recommend an IDE for writing SQL/PLPSQL

От
Hadley Willan
Дата:
Hi all,
   Currently I use Emacs as my editor for writing SQL and Postgresql
PLPGSQL functions. However, as we are all prone to do I let the odd
syntax error creep in etc.

Is there an IDE that will point out these things and check that
variables in use are declare etc?

Thank You.
--
Hadley Willan > Systems Development > Deeper Design Limited. +64(7)377-3328
hadley.willan@deeperdesign.co.nz > www.deeperdesign.com > +64(21)-28-41-463

Re: Can anybody recommend an IDE for writing SQL/PLPSQL

От
Franco Bruno Borghesi
Дата:
The best thing I've seen is pgmanager, it's really great. I've tested a trial version for windows,
but it seems there is port for linux.

As you may guess, it's not free.
http://www.ems-hitech.com/pgmanager/

Re: Can anybody recommend an IDE for writing SQL/PLPSQL

От
Hadley Willan
Дата:
Sounds good. I'll definitely check it out. I'm using Redhat9.0 for my
workstation, and it's good to see a Linux version.

Regards. Hadley

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 08:27, Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:
> The best thing I've seen is pgmanager, it's really great. I've tested a trial version for windows,
> but it seems there is port for linux.
>
> As you may guess, it's not free.
> http://www.ems-hitech.com/pgmanager/
--
Hadley Willan > Systems Development > Deeper Design Limited. +64(7)377-3328
hadley.willan@deeperdesign.co.nz > www.deeperdesign.com > +64(21)-28-41-463
Level 1, 4 Tamamutu St, PO Box 90, TAUPO 2730, New Zealand.

Re: Can anybody recommend an IDE for writing SQL/PLPSQL

От
"Alam Surya"
Дата:
have you try PDAdmin ? it's free and so powerfull, visit this link
http://www.csahome.com/fhf

regards

> The best thing I've seen is pgmanager, it's really great. I've tested a
trial version for windows,
> but it seems there is port for linux.
>
> As you may guess, it's not free.
> http://www.ems-hitech.com/pgmanager/

Re: Can anybody recommend an IDE for writing SQL/PLPSQL

От
"Alam Surya"
> have you try PDAdmin ? it's free and so powerfull, visit this link
> http://www.csahome.com/fhf
>
> regards

Darko Prenosil
Дата:
On Thursday 29 May 2003 00:18, Hadley Willan wrote:
> Sounds good. I'll definitely check it out. I'm using Redhat9.0 for my
> workstation, and it's good to see a Linux version.

    I did tried both versions (windows and linux) and the only thing against I
can think of is that it is not open source. It supports schemes, table
inheritance, has a great function,query,table and grant editor and (on
windows) very good tolls for importing and exporting data.
I am mentioning only this features because those features does not exist or
works very poor on other tools I tried.
    There is also Pgadmin3 (open source), but development is still in the
progress - it is not finished. Does not support all features that pgmanager
does, but I think it will be very good when finished.

    Regards !

Re: Can anybody recommend an IDE for writing SQL/PLPSQL

От
Darko Prenosil
Дата:
On Thursday 29 May 2003 06:38, Alam Surya wrote:
> but...under windows only... :-)

    Pgadmin3 development is in progress, and You can download it from CVS.
Works with linux too.

pgAdmin3 snapshots

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Jeudi 29 Mai 2003 09:51, Darko Prenosil a écrit :
>         Pgadmin3 development is in progress, and You can download it from
> CVS. Works with linux too.

Dear Darko,

Daily snapshots, beta quality, from pgAdmin3 can be donwloaded from
http://snake.pgadmin.org.

pgAdmin3 is under heavy development, so do not expect a fully functional
software. Use with care and backup your data first. Untar an install in
/usr/local/share. No depencies needed ...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 snapshots

От
Franco Bruno Borghesi
Дата:
Does anyone know if pgadmin3 still opens 1 connection for each database existing in the server?

The problem I had with pgadmin2 is that I had 10 users, and about 20 databases in my server.... when
we were all working, my server had lots of backends running, and of course, hundreds of MB of swap space used,
even if we all were using the same database. I think its ODBC's fault.

Another tool I've tried is pgexplorer (http://www.pgexplorer.com/), you have to pay for it too, its good,
but not as good as pgmanager.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that PSQL is the best tool by far.

Here you'll a list of other GUIs available: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

On Thursday 29 May 2003 07:41, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Jeudi 29 Mai 2003 09:51, Darko Prenosil a écrit :
> >         Pgadmin3 development is in progress, and You can download it from
> > CVS. Works with linux too.
>
> Dear Darko,
>
> Daily snapshots, beta quality, from pgAdmin3 can be donwloaded from
> http://snake.pgadmin.org.
>
> pgAdmin3 is under heavy development, so do not expect a fully functional
> software. Use with care and backup your data first. Untar an install in
> /usr/local/share. No depencies needed ...
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: pgAdmin3 snapshots

От
Network Administrator
Дата:
I use pgAccess on Linux and I've been using pgAdminII on Windows and I just
tried out PDAdmin on a recommendation I saw in this thread (that one is actually
NOT on the techdocs site - http://www.csahome.com/fhf/index.php)

PDAdmin seems pretty nice (minus the fact that it omits references from the
table structure window- EEK!).  I really like pgAdminII tho- I'm looking forward
to pgAdmin3 (or will it be pgAdminIII).

'Off to try that GNOME client now (an some other Linux clients)- I'm not really
happy with the newer version of pgAccess.  I missed being able to do my own
"sort fields"- the client seems a bit unstable now.

Quoting Franco Bruno Borghesi <franco@akyasociados.com.ar>:

> Does anyone know if pgadmin3 still opens 1 connection for each database
> existing in the server?
>
> The problem I had with pgadmin2 is that I had 10 users, and about 20
> databases in my server.... when
> we were all working, my server had lots of backends running, and of course,
> hundreds of MB of swap space used,
> even if we all were using the same database. I think its ODBC's fault.
>
> Another tool I've tried is pgexplorer (http://www.pgexplorer.com/), you have
> to pay for it too, its good,
> but not as good as pgmanager.
>
> Anyway, my personal opinion is that PSQL is the best tool by far.
>
> Here you'll a list of other GUIs available:
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools
>
> On Thursday 29 May 2003 07:41, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > Le Jeudi 29 Mai 2003 09:51, Darko Prenosil a écrit :
> > >         Pgadmin3 development is in progress, and You can download it
> from
> > > CVS. Works with linux too.
> >
> > Dear Darko,
> >
> > Daily snapshots, beta quality, from pgAdmin3 can be donwloaded from
> > http://snake.pgadmin.org.
> >
> > pgAdmin3 is under heavy development, so do not expect a fully functional
> > software. Use with care and backup your data first. Untar an install in
> > /usr/local/share. No depencies needed ...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jean-Michel

> > http://archives.postgresql.org

Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com

____________________________________
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: pgAdmin3 snapshots

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Jeudi 29 Mai 2003 16:55, Franco Bruno Borghesi a écrit :
> Does anyone know if pgadmin3 still opens 1 connection for each database
> existing in the server?

Dear friends,

pgAdmin3 is written in C++, using the wxWindows framework and pgsql (native
connexions to Postgresql). So, no ODBC link is needed. pgAdmin3 is going to
be a major release.

pgAdmin3 can be installed under GNU/Linux, Win32 and MacOsX. Maybe you should
try downloading it from http://snake.pgadmin.org. Just untar and install in
/usr/local/share/pgadmin3.

Please use with care because it is still in heavy developments.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 snapshots

От
Jason Ziegler
Дата:
Jean-Michel,

Thank you very much for your work on a MacOSX version of PGAdmin3!
Can I download a beta or alpha for MacOSX? (or should I download source
and compile it?)

best regards,

Jason

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 02:55 AM, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Le Jeudi 29 Mai 2003 16:55, Franco Bruno Borghesi a écrit :
>> Does anyone know if pgadmin3 still opens 1 connection for each
>> database
>> existing in the server?
>
> Dear friends,
>
> pgAdmin3 is written in C++, using the wxWindows framework and pgsql
> (native
> connexions to Postgresql). So, no ODBC link is needed. pgAdmin3 is
> going to
> be a major release.
>
> pgAdmin3 can be installed under GNU/Linux, Win32 and MacOsX. Maybe you
> should
> try downloading it from http://snake.pgadmin.org. Just untar and
> install in
> /usr/local/share/pgadmin3.
>
> Please use with care because it is still in heavy developments.
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: pgAdmin3 snapshots

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Dimanche 1 Juin 2003 00:14, Jason Ziegler a écrit :
> Thank you very much for your work on a MacOSX version of PGAdmin3!
> Can I download a beta or alpha for MacOSX? (or should I download source
> and compile it?)

We settled a MacOsX dedicated machine for compiling daily snapshots. I don't
know precisely when we will be able to release a MacOsX binary, probably
soon. Stay tuned. If you want the lastest news, register on
<pgadmin-hackers@postgresql.org>.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel