Обсуждение: PostgreSQL Inquiry

PostgreSQL Inquiry

От
"Bob Krus"

    Does PostgreSQL have the capability to process embedded instructions
    in COBOL code?  If not, how does it communicate with COBOL programs?

    Thanks,
    Bob Krus

Re: PostgreSQL Inquiry

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, 2 May 2003, Bob Krus wrote:

>     Does PostgreSQL have the capability to process embedded instructions
>     in COBOL code?  If not, how does it communicate with COBOL programs?

ODBC?  Just guessing.

Re: PostgreSQL Inquiry

От
Hadley Willan
Дата:
On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 09:07, Bob Krus wrote:

>     Does PostgreSQL have the capability to process embedded instructions
>     in COBOL code?  If not, how does it communicate with COBOL programs?

Just guessing here....but wouldn't it make more sense to have postgresql
call out to a process/application that can then execute COBOL code
chunks for you? Is the COBOL program running within the same system, or
is a remote mainframe or something? If it's remote, what transport
layers does the system support? IP (TCP/UDP)?

Just trying to help clarify the environment.

Hadley.

Re: PostgreSQL Inquiry

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Saturday 03 May 2003 02:37, Bob Krus wrote:
> Does PostgreSQL have the capability to process embedded instructions
>     in COBOL code?  If not, how does it communicate with COBOL programs?

There is nothing holy about postgresql connectivity. If you can link against
any library whose API is in C, probably you can directly use libpq from cobol
program.

But my knowledge of cobol is not good enough to offer exactly how to do that.
Of course you must be knowing better than me..:-)

 Shridhar