Обсуждение: Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS

Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS

От
mjoseph@inautix.com
Дата:
Thanks Tom!
There seems to be something wrong with the cygipc package! I keep getting
this shmget() failure. I am pretty sure that there is enough memory on my
system. The best part is sometimes after reinstalling everything, it
sometimes works.

This is the failure message I get.
$ postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -N 4 -B 16
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=589824, 03600) failed: Not enough
core

This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space.
To reduce the request size (currently 589824 bytes), reduce
PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 16) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 4).

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
shared memory configuration.

The versions I use:
cygipc-1.13-2
postgresql-7.3.1-1
cygwin-1.3.19-1

Can someone help?

I have been having a hard time installing PostgreSQL on Windows NT. I tried
a Native port, the official Windows version (on top of cygwin) and the one
that comes with cygwin. Something or the other is broken in each release. I
am yet to do a successful query till now.

I guess it works better on Unix, considering its popularity.

Regards,
Manoj

                    Tom Lane
                    <tgl@sss.pgh.p       To:     mjoseph@inautix.com
                    a.us>                cc:     pgsql-general@postgresql.org, pgsql-novice@postgresql.org,
                                          pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
                    02/03/03 09:15       Subject:     Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS
                    PM

mjoseph@inautix.com writes:
> ipc-daemon &
> initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -U 1730 -W
> psql -U 1730 template1

If this is PG 7.3.*, there are some recently-identified problems with
using all-numeric usernames.  Use a name instead of a number.

                               regards, tom lane

Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS

Дата:
mjoseph@inautix.com writes:
> There seems to be something wrong with the cygipc package! I keep getting
> this shmget() failure. I am pretty sure that there is enough memory on my
> system. The best part is sometimes after reinstalling everything, it
> sometimes works.

Did you remember to start the cygipc daemon?

I dunno much about using the cygwin-based port, but I do know that
that's a common gotcha...

            regards, tom lane

Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
mjoseph@inautix.com wrote:
<snip>
> The versions I use:
> cygipc-1.13-2
> postgresql-7.3.1-1
> cygwin-1.3.19-1

Yep, they're all "known good" versions, and what I've been using here.

Out of curiosity, have you asked the guys on the PostgreSQL "cygwin"
mailing list, as this is pretty much exactly their area of speciality?

One important question, with WinNT, are you definitely running it with
Service Pack 6a, and it's definitely stable for other packages?

For most installations with Windows, the cygwin version works ok, but
for you it's obviously not.  Am wondering if it's possible you've got
some kind of problem with windows not having been updated enough, or
maybe something is installed that overwrote an important dll?

> Can someone help?
>
> I have been having a hard time installing PostgreSQL on Windows NT. I tried
> a Native port, the official Windows version (on top of cygwin) and the one
> that comes with cygwin. Something or the other is broken in each release. I
> am yet to do a successful query till now.
>
> I guess it works better on Unix, considering its popularity.

Yep, it works *really* well on Unix.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift