Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS

От mjoseph@inautix.com
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS
Дата
Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS  (Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks Tom!
There seems to be something wrong with the cygipc package! I keep getting
this shmget() failure. I am pretty sure that there is enough memory on my
system. The best part is sometimes after reinstalling everything, it
sometimes works.

This is the failure message I get.
$ postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -N 4 -B 16
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=589824, 03600) failed: Not enough
core

This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space.
To reduce the request size (currently 589824 bytes), reduce
PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 16) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 4).

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
shared memory configuration.

The versions I use:
cygipc-1.13-2
postgresql-7.3.1-1
cygwin-1.3.19-1

Can someone help?

I have been having a hard time installing PostgreSQL on Windows NT. I tried
a Native port, the official Windows version (on top of cygwin) and the one
that comes with cygwin. Something or the other is broken in each release. I
am yet to do a successful query till now.

I guess it works better on Unix, considering its popularity.

Regards,
Manoj

                    Tom Lane
                    <tgl@sss.pgh.p       To:     mjoseph@inautix.com
                    a.us>                cc:     pgsql-general@postgresql.org, pgsql-novice@postgresql.org,
                                          pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
                    02/03/03 09:15       Subject:     Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS
                    PM

mjoseph@inautix.com writes:
> ipc-daemon &
> initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -U 1730 -W
> psql -U 1730 template1

If this is PG 7.3.*, there are some recently-identified problems with
using all-numeric usernames.  Use a name instead of a number.