Обсуждение: Postgre vs SAP Db

Postgre vs SAP Db

От
"Ivar"
Дата:
Hi,

Does somebody have feature comparsion of Sap Db(www.sapdb.org) and postgre ?
(Sap DB seems pretty powerfull and has native windows port)

Re: Postgre vs SAP Db

От
Justin Clift
Ivar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does somebody have feature comparsion of Sap Db(www.sapdb.org) and postgre ?
> (Sap DB seems pretty powerfull and has native windows port)

Hi Igor,

Not a proper one yet.  The only info so far is this list of features
near the bottom of this page on the PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing Site:

http://advocacy.postgresql.org/advantages

What are you looking at a database server to do for you?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Postgre vs SAP Db

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Justin Clift wrote:

> Ivar wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does somebody have feature comparsion of Sap Db(www.sapdb.org) and
>> postgre ?
>> (Sap DB seems pretty powerfull and has native windows port)

I have recently been comparing these 2 databases.... the most notable
difference was performance of joins with aggregates in the select list -
Postgresql is reasonably fast and Sapdb is *very* slow. There are
postings about poor join performance on the Sapdb mail list site too
(referring to 7.3 and possibly 7.4 as well)

Another interesting discovery was that there is no parameter to tune the
equivalant of sort_mem (this may explain some of the problem with
aggregates....)

Finally  the Sapdb command line processor (dbmcli) is a bit eccelectic
in its requirements for an SQL command file (e.g. your typical delimited
by ';' statement will *not* work)

My overall feeling was that its a promising db, but somewhat immature at
present.

(I think Has J has already commented about how its a bit ugly to build
from source.. which may or may not be an issue for some....)

regards

Mark

OpenLDAP / PostgreSQL

От
gilles Darold
Дата:
Hi,

I'm please to annouce that now OpenLDAP have full support of PostgreSQL
as SQL backend.

No more patches are needed to have it work at least with version 2.1.x
of OpenLDAP.

I have updated the HOWTO OpenLDAP / PostgreSQL, so if you are
interested with that take a look at :

    http://www.samse.fr/GPL/ldap_pg/HOWTO/

I have added a live example.

Regards,

Gilles Darold

Re: Postgre vs SAP Db

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 02:27, Justin Clift wrote:
> Ivar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does somebody have feature comparsion of Sap Db(www.sapdb.org) and postgre ?
> > (Sap DB seems pretty powerfull and has native windows port)
>
> Hi Igor,
>
> Not a proper one yet.  The only info so far is this list of features
> near the bottom of this page on the PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing Site:
>
> http://advocacy.postgresql.org/advantages
>
> What are you looking at a database server to do for you?

If you just need a feature comparison, you can use the mysql.com tool at
http://www.mysql.com/information/crash-me.php

It can compare postgresql 7.2.2 to Sap DB 7.3.0.29 (among others).
Remember to take it with a grain of salt, because your using 1 vendors
tool to compare to other projects systems, but for feature comparisons I
find it to be pretty good; just don't rely on it for performance
testing.

Robert Treat

Re: Postgre vs SAP Db

От