Обсуждение: migrating from progress dbms

migrating from progress dbms

От
miguel angel rojas aquino
Дата:
hi, currently we are planning a migration from a progress db to
postgresql, and want to know if somebody has done the same, and what
issues have found during the process.

right now, the first thing we encounter is the fact that (at least in
jdbc) all the table and column names needs to be beteewn double
quotation marks. another is the fact that in progress exist an array
data type.

well, thanks in advance for any help you could provide, and best regards.

Re: migrating from progress dbms

Дата:
Lots of folks migrate from Progress.  It should be fine.

miguel angel rojas aquino wrote:
> hi, currently we are planning a migration from a progress db to
> postgresql, and want to know if somebody has done the same, and what
> issues have found during the process.
>
> right now, the first thing we encounter is the fact that (at least in
> jdbc) all the table and column names needs to be beteewn double
> quotation marks. another is the fact that in progress exist an array
> data type.
>
> well, thanks in advance for any help you could provide, and best regards.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: migrating from progress dbms

Дата:
Also, see techdocs.postgresql.org for porting guiedes.  Not sure if
Progress is in there.

miguel angel rojas aquino wrote:
> hi, currently we are planning a migration from a progress db to
> postgresql, and want to know if somebody has done the same, and what
> issues have found during the process.
>
> right now, the first thing we encounter is the fact that (at least in
> jdbc) all the table and column names needs to be beteewn double
> quotation marks. another is the fact that in progress exist an array
> data type.
>
> well, thanks in advance for any help you could provide, and best regards.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: migrating from progress dbms

От
"Gabriel Munteanu"
Дата:
Theare are arrays inPostgresql too.

Re: migrating from progress dbms

От
Christoph Dalitz
Дата:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:15:50 -0500
pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote:

> right now, the first thing we encounter is the fact that (at least in
> jdbc) all the table and column names needs to be beteewn double
> quotation marks.

Don't use double quotes unless you are asking for trouble!
Double quotes are used for case sensitive identifiers or identifiers
with whitespace characters. Usage of these features is not a good idea.

If you have found that you need them in queries, then your CREATE statements
used case sensitive table/attribute names. This will be a continuous source
of pain and I strongly recommend that you fix your CREATE statements.

Christoph Dalitz