Обсуждение: DbVisualizer and PG 7.3?

DbVisualizer and PG 7.3?

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi everyone,

Just came across an old email asking about DbVisualizer support and PG.

Does anyone know if the problems that the PostgresQL JDBC driver used to
have in passing along Referential Integrity information were fixed to
the point that DbVisualizer worked well?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

Re: DbVisualizer and PG 7.3?

От
Francois Suter
Дата:
> Does anyone know if the problems that the PostgresQL JDBC driver used to
> have in passing along Referential Integrity information were fixed to
> the point that DbVisualizer worked well?

Hi,

I don't know if I'm answering well to your question, at least I don't have
7.3 running yet. But there was indeed a time where DBVis was unable to
display the referential integrity constraints past a certain quantity of
constraints. I'm now using version 3.0 and I can display all the constraints
(30+) again.

Hope this helps.

--------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/
"We waste our time spending money we don't have to buy things we don't need
to impress people we don't like"

Re: DbVisualizer and PG 7.3?

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Francois Suter wrote:
<snip>
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if I'm answering well to your question, at least I don't have
> 7.3 running yet. But there was indeed a time where DBVis was unable to
> display the referential integrity constraints past a certain quantity of
> constraints. I'm now using version 3.0 and I can display all the constraints
> (30+) again.

Thanks Francois,

That does help a lot.  DbVisualizer 2.x was a great tool and it was a
real shame that it had problems with our JDBC driver.  It's very good
news that it now works.  Sounds like it might be easy to get good
printouts of database schema's now.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Hope this helps.
>
> --------
> Francois
>
> Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/
> "We waste our time spending money we don't have to buy things we don't need
> to impress people we don't like"

- Indira Gandhi

Re: DbVisualizer and PG 7.3?

От
Adam Witney
Дата:
On 5/12/02 10:11 am, "Justin Clift" <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Francois Suter wrote:
> <snip>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know if I'm answering well to your question, at least I don't have
>> 7.3 running yet. But there was indeed a time where DBVis was unable to
>> display the referential integrity constraints past a certain quantity of
>> constraints. I'm now using version 3.0 and I can display all the constraints
>> (30+) again.
>
> Thanks Francois,
>
> That does help a lot.  DbVisualizer 2.x was a great tool and it was a
> real shame that it had problems with our JDBC driver.  It's very good
> news that it now works.  Sounds like it might be easy to get good
> printouts of database schema's now.

One problem I had with this was that if you arrange your tables around the
screen then you couldn't save that 'view' of the tables and so when you
opened up the program again all the tables were back organised in one line
or in one column. Otherwise it looked a really nice tool.

adam

believed to be clean.

Re: DbVisualizer and PG 7.3?

От
Francois Suter
Дата:
> One problem I had with this was that if you arrange your tables around the
> screen then you couldn't save that 'view' of the tables and so when you
> opened up the program again all the tables were back organised in one line
> or in one column. Otherwise it looked a really nice tool.

True. That's an annoying limitation. And it doesn't seem like the paying
version addresses that. Maybe we can suggest it for their TODO list if it's
not already there :-)

--------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/
"We waste our time spending money we don't have to buy things we don't need
to impress people we don't like"

Re: DbVisualizer and PG 7.3?

От
Adam Witney
Дата:
On 5/12/02 10:35 am, "Francois Suter" <dba@paragraf.ch> wrote:

>> One problem I had with this was that if you arrange your tables around the
>> screen then you couldn't save that 'view' of the tables and so when you
>> opened up the program again all the tables were back organised in one line
>> or in one column. Otherwise it looked a really nice tool.
>
> True. That's an annoying limitation. And it doesn't seem like the paying
> version addresses that. Maybe we can suggest it for their TODO list if it's
> not already there :-)

Yes, I spoke to them about it and they said it was planned for a future
version, but they did not know which future version!!

believed to be clean.

Re: DbVisualizer and PG 7.3?

От
Csaba Nagy
Дата:
If you want to try out something new (and possibly buggy), take a look at
this:
http://dprutean.tripod.com/
You can arrange your layout and save it and more, all of this through a web
interface, and the data is saved in plain XML... quite amazing.
I've got it working with Oracle, but I couldn't do schema import from
Postgres, it hangs for some reason.

The author says it's a Postgres JDBC bug, looks like the
java.sql.DatabaseMetaData#getCrossReference(String primaryCatalog, String
primarySchema, String primaryTable, String foreignCatalog, String
foreignSchema, String foreignTable) method hangs in any of the following
situations:
 a) primaryTable is null;
 b) foreignTable is null;
 c) primaryTable == foreignTable;
The author sais these inputs are valid according to the JDBC spec.

Cheers,
Csaba.

le si foreignTable acceeasi valoare ( ca si cum ai vrea sa vezi daca o
tabela se autoreferentiaza ).