Обсуждение: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Francisco Reyes
Дата:
I have read on the archives some type of per user limit that will be
available in 7.3, but what do I do in the meantime with a 7.2.X.

Basically I came this morning to find a developer had a bug in a program
and used up all the connections. Could I have safely killed those
connections?

I had to do a "pgsql stop -m fast" to free the connections, but I had some
pending operations which now I will have to redo, not to mention the
vacuum full failed last night because of the open connections.

In all the archives I read there seems to be a negative view on timeouts.
I think that after 4 hours of no activity, at least in my case, I
definitely want those connections dead.

In particular this is a reporting server and I delete/reload millions of
records daily so anything which stops the vacuum full at night is a big
problem for me.

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> writes:
> Basically I came this morning to find a developer had a bug in a program
> and used up all the connections. Could I have safely killed those
> connections?

kill(1) the backends in question.

> In all the archives I read there seems to be a negative view on timeouts.
> I think that after 4 hours of no activity, at least in my case, I
> definitely want those connections dead.

The superuser_reserved_connections feature we added for 7.3 should be
sufficient for this -- if the maintenance tasks are done as the
PostgreSQL superuser, there will be some reserved "slots" for them to
connect to.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Francisco Reyes
Дата:
On 20 Nov 2002, Neil Conway wrote:

> The superuser_reserved_connections feature we added for 7.3 should be
> sufficient for this -- if the maintenance tasks are done as the
> PostgreSQL superuser, there will be some reserved "slots" for them to
> connect to.

But wouldn't "vacuum full" still fail?

Also where can I read about these new 7.3 options?

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Medi Montaseri
Дата:
In 7.2, you can run the vacuum in parallel with other database activities...
perhaps there is a way of reading from one of the pg_activity* or stats to
learn which connection is execessively idle and then go after it....

Francisco Reyes wrote:

>I have read on the archives some type of per user limit that will be
>available in 7.3, but what do I do in the meantime with a 7.2.X.
>
>Basically I came this morning to find a developer had a bug in a program
>and used up all the connections. Could I have safely killed those
>connections?
>
>I had to do a "pgsql stop -m fast" to free the connections, but I had some
>pending operations which now I will have to redo, not to mention the
>vacuum full failed last night because of the open connections.
>
>In all the archives I read there seems to be a negative view on timeouts.
>I think that after 4 hours of no activity, at least in my case, I
>definitely want those connections dead.
>
>In particular this is a reporting server and I delete/reload millions of
>records daily so anything which stops the vacuum full at night is a big
>problem for me.

>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> writes:
> But wouldn't "vacuum full" still fail?

Not if the connection is made to the database as the PostgreSQL
superuser.

> Also where can I read about these new 7.3 options?

Heh, no where at the moment, as there wasn't isn't any documentation
on this new feature :-) Attached is a patch that adds some (also sent
to -patches).

Cheers,

Neil

Drop NOT NULL constraint !!!

От
Renê Salomão
Дата:
 Does anybody could tell me how to drop a constraint on a column where no name was provided to the constraint?
 How does Pg name constraints?

Thanks
--
Renê Salomão
Ibiz Tecnologia -- www.ibiz.com.br

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Francisco Reyes
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:

> In 7.2, you can run the vacuum in parallel with other database activities...

As far as I know this is not the case for "vacuum full".

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Francisco Reyes
Дата:
On 20 Nov 2002, Neil Conway wrote:

> Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> writes:
> > But wouldn't "vacuum full" still fail?
>
> Not if the connection is made to the database as the PostgreSQL
> superuser.

So this would be new to 7.3. Right?
Right now if there are connections open "vacuum full" will wait from those
connectins to close, even if the vacuum is done from the superuser.

> Heh, no where at the moment, as there wasn't isn't any documentation
> on this new feature :-) Attached is a patch that adds some (also sent
> to -patches).

So there will be a way to reserve connectinos for the super-user, but will
there be a way to limit number of connection per user?

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Medi Montaseri
Дата:
Is this true..... ?

I think from the data integrity point of view, vacuum is more important
than vacuum full.
Is vacuum purges deleted and updated tuples, that is the integrity point
of failure (for
multi-versioning), reclaiming the space is a phsyical issue....

Francisco Reyes wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:
>

>>In 7.2, you can run the vacuum in parallel with other database activities...
>>

>As far as I know this is not the case for "vacuum full".

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:
>
> > In 7.2, you can run the vacuum in parallel with other database activities...
>
> As far as I know this is not the case for "vacuum full".

The thing that blocks vacuum full are pending transactions.  If the
connections aren't holding open a transaction the vacuum full will run
just fine.

For most folks, daily / hourly vacuums (not full vacuums) in 7.2 are
all you need, with a weekly or so vacuum full.

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> writes:
> On 20 Nov 2002, Neil Conway wrote:
> > Not if the connection is made to the database as the PostgreSQL
> > superuser.
>
> So this would be new to 7.3. Right?

Yes.

> Right now if there are connections open "vacuum full" will wait from those
> connectins to close, even if the vacuum is done from the superuser.

Erm, no -- VACUUM FULL doesn't block on connections, it blocks waiting
to acquire locks. Whether or not a client is allowed to connect to the
database has no relation to the locks the client can acquire once
they've connected.

> > Heh, no where at the moment, as there wasn't isn't any documentation
> > on this new feature :-) Attached is a patch that adds some (also sent
> > to -patches).
>
> So there will be a way to reserve connectinos for the super-user, but will
> there be a way to limit number of connection per user?

Not in 7.3, AFAIK.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Medi Montaseri <medi.montaseri@intransa.com> writes:
> I think from the data integrity point of view, vacuum is more
> important than vacuum full.

Why would VACUUM have any effect on data integrity, either positive or
negative?

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 18:36, Neil Conway wrote:

> Heh, no where at the moment, as there wasn't isn't any documentation
> on this new feature :-) Attached is a patch that adds some (also sent
> to -patches).

> +         Determines the number of <quote>connection slots</quote> that
> +         are reserved for connections by the <productname>PostgreSQL</>
> +         superuser. The maximum number of concurrent connections that
> +         can be made from any user account is
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                             all user accounts together

> +         <varname>max_connections</> minus
> +         <varname>superuser_reserved_connections</varname>; beyond that
> +         point, any additional connections from non-superuser accounts
> +         are refused.
> +        </para>
> +
> +        <para>
> +         The default value is 2. This must be at least as large as the
> +         value of <varname>max_connections</varname>. This parameter

At least as large?  Surely not?  You are saying:

 SUPERUSER_RESERVED_CONNECTIONS >= MAX_CONNECTIONS

and

 max_user_connections =
       MAX_CONNECTIONS - SUPERUSER_RESERVED_CONNECTIONS

Therefore max_user_connections <= 0

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "If my people, which are called by my name, shall
      humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and
      turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from
      heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal
      their land."               II Chronicles 7:14

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On 20 Nov 2002, Neil Conway wrote:

> Medi Montaseri <medi.montaseri@intransa.com> writes:
> > I think from the data integrity point of view, vacuum is more
> > important than vacuum full.
>
> Why would VACUUM have any effect on data integrity, either positive or
> negative?

Maybe he's thinking of the problems createed when one runs out of disk
space? :-)

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 18:36, Neil Conway wrote:
> > +         The default value is 2. This must be at least as large as the
> > +         value of <varname>max_connections</varname>. This parameter
>
> At least as large?

Woops :-) You're completely correct, of course.

New version of the patch is attached (another copy sent to -patches
separately).

Thanks for spotting my mistakes, Oliver!

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Medi Montaseri
Дата:
Its my understanding that vacuum actually removes tuples that have been
updated or deleted.
Sort of like emptying your trash .... whence a tuple has been removed,
no rollback can set the
state back. If you have logically removed a tuple (not vacuumed yet),
then one can rollback,
but if you vacuum then you can not rollback.

Now suppose transaction A decides to delete some tuples, a vacuum job
comes along and
deletes things (in parallel), trans A decides to rollback....engines who
support parallel
vacuum-ing and transactions such as PG 7.2 better have a way of
protecting themselves
against this....

Correct me if ...

Neil Conway wrote:

>Medi Montaseri <medi.montaseri@intransa.com> writes:
>

>>I think from the data integrity point of view, vacuum is more
>>important than vacuum full.
>>

>Why would VACUUM have any effect on data integrity, either positive or
>negative?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Neil

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:

> Its my understanding that vacuum actually removes tuples that have been
> updated or deleted.
> Sort of like emptying your trash .... whence a tuple has been removed,
> no rollback can set the
> state back. If you have logically removed a tuple (not vacuumed yet),
> then one can rollback,
> but if you vacuum then you can not rollback.
>
> Now suppose transaction A decides to delete some tuples, a vacuum job
> comes along and
> deletes things (in parallel), trans A decides to rollback....engines who
> support parallel
> vacuum-ing and transactions such as PG 7.2 better have a way of
> protecting themselves
> against this....
>
> Correct me if ...

Yes, you are wrong.  Postgresql's vacuuming does NOT free tuples that are
still in a transaction, hence a full vacuum will hand waiting for the
transaction to complete or roll back.  A normal 7.2 vacuum will simply
skip the in transaction tuples.

For proof, try this:  (Note A> and B> are used to represent two different
sessions)

A> create table test (a text, id int);
A> insert into test (a,id) values ('abc',123);
A> begin;
A> delete from test where id=123;
B> vacuum;
A> rollback;
A> select * from test;
a  |  id
--------
abc| 123

Still there.

> Neil Conway wrote:
>
> >Medi Montaseri <medi.montaseri@intransa.com> writes:
> >

> >>I think from the data integrity point of view, vacuum is more
> >>important than vacuum full.
> >>

> >Why would VACUUM have any effect on data integrity, either positive or
> >negative?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Neil

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections

От
Brian Hirt
Дата:
Scott,

You did a rollback on the transaction, so the delete was never commited.
I hope you aren't expecting vacuum to delete uncommited rows from the
database, are you?

--brian

Brian Hirt <bhirt@mobygames.com>

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
Medi Montaseri
Дата:
scott.marlowe wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:
>

>>Its my understanding that vacuum actually removes tuples that have been
>>updated or deleted.
>>Sort of like emptying your trash .... whence a tuple has been removed,
>>no rollback can set the
>>state back. If you have logically removed a tuple (not vacuumed yet),
>>then one can rollback,
>>but if you vacuum then you can not rollback.
>>
>>Now suppose transaction A decides to delete some tuples, a vacuum job
>>comes along and
>>deletes things (in parallel), trans A decides to rollback....engines who
>>support parallel
>>vacuum-ing and transactions such as PG 7.2 better have a way of
>>protecting themselves
>>against this....

So I think you have shown that 7.2 achieves this by skiping current
transactions....
Thank you

>>Correct me if ...
>>

>Yes, you are wrong.  Postgresql's vacuuming does NOT free tuples that are
>still in a transaction, hence a full vacuum will hand waiting for the
>transaction to complete or roll back.  A normal 7.2 vacuum will simply
>skip the in transaction tuples.
>
>For proof, try this:  (Note A> and B> are used to represent two different
>sessions)
>
>A> create table test (a text, id int);
>A> insert into test (a,id) values ('abc',123);
>A> begin;
>A> delete from test where id=123;
>B> vacuum;
>A> rollback;
>A> select * from test;
>a  |  id
>--------
>abc| 123
>
>Still there.
>

>>Neil Conway wrote:

>>>Why would VACUUM have any effect on data integrity, either positive or
>>>negative?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Neil

>>TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
Reread the original message I was replying to.  He was worried that if I
was to delete rows then roll back, that a vacuum running while I had
deleted the tuples would prevent the rollback.

I.e. I was proving that you COULD roll back a transaction that had a
vacuum occur during it.

On 20 Nov 2002, Brian Hirt wrote:

> Scott,
>
> You did a rollback on the transaction, so the delete was never commited.
> I hope you aren't expecting vacuum to delete uncommited rows from the
> database, are you?
>
> --brian
>
> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 16:12, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:
> >
> > > Its my understanding that vacuum actually removes tuples that have been
> > > updated or deleted.
> > > Sort of like emptying your trash .... whence a tuple has been removed,
> > > no rollback can set the
> > > state back. If you have logically removed a tuple (not vacuumed yet),
> > > then one can rollback,
> > > but if you vacuum then you can not rollback.
> > >
> > > Now suppose transaction A decides to delete some tuples, a vacuum job
> > > comes along and
> > > deletes things (in parallel), trans A decides to rollback....engines who
> > > support parallel
> > > vacuum-ing and transactions such as PG 7.2 better have a way of
> > > protecting themselves
> > > against this....
> > >
> > > Correct me if ...
> >
> > Yes, you are wrong.  Postgresql's vacuuming does NOT free tuples that are
> > still in a transaction, hence a full vacuum will hand waiting for the
> > transaction to complete or roll back.  A normal 7.2 vacuum will simply
> > skip the in transaction tuples.
> >
> > For proof, try this:  (Note A> and B> are used to represent two different
> > sessions)
> >
> > A> create table test (a text, id int);
> > A> insert into test (a,id) values ('abc',123);
> > A> begin;
> > A> delete from test where id=123;
> > B> vacuum;
> > A> rollback;
> > A> select * from test;
> > a  |  id
> > --------
> > abc| 123
> >
> > Still there.

> > > TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
> > >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:

> So I think you have shown that 7.2 achieves this by skiping current
> transactions....
> Thank you

You're welcome.  Having re-read my response, I realize now it sounded
harsh, and I certainly didn't mean it that way.

Usually, when a bug shows up here involving race conditions they're so
rare that I've never run into them.  And usually when Postgresql DOES make
a mistake, it's something like permanently making a tuple undeleteable or
non-vacuumable, i.e. it tends to err on the side of caution.

7.2 rocks by the way.  It's rock solid for us, and we use it for dozens
and dozens of projects where I work.  The Postgresql hackers have what I
call a "NASA space shot" mentality.  Quite refreshing in a world of
"weekend drag racer" developers.

Re: Drop NOT NULL constraint !!!

От
Mario Weilguni
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 20. November 2002 20:09 schrieb RenX SalomXo:
>  Does anybody could tell me how to drop a constraint on a column where no
> name was provided to the constraint? How does Pg name constraints?
>
> Thanks

did you add a "CHECK" constraint, or did you use "NOT NULL" in the table definition? For the not null case it's easy:

update pg_attribute
      set attnotnull=false
where attname='yourattributename'
   and attrelid=(select oid from pg_class where relname='mytable' and relkind='r');

If you added a check constraint, you have to remove the corresponding row from pg_relcheck
and decrement the attribute "relchecks" in pg_class for the table, but I won't do it without having
a backup at hand.

Backup your data first.

Regards,
    Mario Weilguni

Re: [SQL] Drop NOT NULL constraint !!!

От
Дата:
do a \d tablename

for the name of the contraint.
say its $1
the do

psql> alter table <tablename> drop contstraint "$1" RESTRICT;