Обсуждение: Basic Trigger

Basic Trigger

От
"Roberto de Amorim"
Дата:
Hi all,

I did some Trigger to set default values for each row interted.
so, I'm using NEW.ID = NEXTVAL(''products_id_seq'');
but the column do not assum this value...
must I execute any other command before to set a value for NEW?

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "f_products"() RETURNS "opaque" AS '
BEGIN
   NEW.ID = NEXTVAL(''products_id_seq'');
   RETURN NEW;
END' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'

CREATE TRIGGER "t_classes" AFTER INSERT ON "products" FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
PROCEDURE f_products();

Roberto de Amorim  +55 48 346-2243
Software engineer at SmartBit Software
roberto@smartbit.inf.br

Re: Basic Trigger

От
Einar Karttunen
Дата:
On 18.11 09:13, Roberto de Amorim wrote:
> I did some Trigger to set default values for each row interted.
> so, I'm using NEW.ID = NEXTVAL(''products_id_seq'');
> but the column do not assum this value...
> must I execute any other command before to set a value for NEW?

Why not use serial datatype in this case?
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?datatype.html#DATATYPE-SERIAL

If you want to have a trigger inserting a default a value, why
not just add a DEFAULT clause to the table definition / use
alter table?

If you want to create the trigger by yourself, first read:
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?triggers.html

- Einar Karttunen

Re: Basic Trigger

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Roberto de Amorim wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I did some Trigger to set default values for each row interted.
> so, I'm using NEW.ID = NEXTVAL(''products_id_seq'');
> but the column do not assum this value...
> must I execute any other command before to set a value for NEW?
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "f_products"() RETURNS "opaque" AS '
> BEGIN
>    NEW.ID = NEXTVAL(''products_id_seq'');
>    RETURN NEW;
> END' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
>
> CREATE TRIGGER "t_classes" AFTER INSERT ON "products" FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
> PROCEDURE f_products();

Apart from the fact that serial or a default is easier, if you want to
modify the row to be inserted (or the updated value of an update), you
want a BEFORE trigger, not an AFTER one.

BLOB or BYTEA field

От
"Roberto de Amorim"
Дата:
Hi all,

is there anyone using pgSQL with ZEOS components for Delphi??

Which type of field are you using to save images like .BMP or .JPEG??

TIA

Roberto de Amorim

Re: BLOB or BYTEA field

От
cnliou9@fastmail.fm (CN)
Дата:
Hi! Daniel,

> you should use oid Fields for BLOBS. That works well.

I have the same question. Could you make it more specific? oid is an
unsigned 4 bytes integer. How do you save binary data from Delphi in
bytea column "using oid fields"?

Thanks you!

CN

Re: BLOB or BYTEA field

От
"Daniel Schuchardt"
Дата:
Hi,

you should use oid Fields for BLOBS. That works well.

Daniel.

""Roberto de Amorim"" <roberto@smartbit.inf.br> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi all,
>
> is there anyone using pgSQL with ZEOS components for Delphi??
>
> Which type of field are you using to save images like .BMP or .JPEG??
>
> TIA
>
> Roberto de Amorim

Re: BLOB or BYTEA field

От
Jonathan Bartlett
Дата:
BLOBs are actually created using lo_create - you are then returned an OID
that can essentially be used as a file descriptor.  However, in my
programs, I've opted for bytea for the following reasons:

 * You can't query for BLOBs and know if there is a dangling reference

 * BLOBs use OID fields.  Running out of OIDs is a problem in PostgreSQL
because they are only four bytes wide.  This makes BLOBs useless for large
databases.

 * bytea fields are easier to manipulate

I think I had some other reaons, but I can't think of them right now.

I also just liked storing the binary object itself as an attribute rather
than a somewhat dangling entity.

Jon

On 18 Feb 2003, CN wrote:

> Hi! Daniel,
>

> > you should use oid Fields for BLOBS. That works well.
> >

> I have the same question. Could you make it more specific? oid is an
> unsigned 4 bytes integer. How do you save binary data from Delphi in
> bytea column "using oid fields"?
>
> Thanks you!
>
> CN

Re: BLOB or BYTEA field

От
"Roberto de Amorim"
Дата:
Are you getting to use BYTEA or OID fields?
Are you using ZEOS components?

 I had to change them sources of Zeos to it recognize the bytea field as
TBlobField ...