Re: BLOB or BYTEA field

От Jonathan Bartlett
Тема Re: BLOB or BYTEA field
Дата
Список pgsql-general
BLOBs are actually created using lo_create - you are then returned an OID
that can essentially be used as a file descriptor.  However, in my
programs, I've opted for bytea for the following reasons:

 * You can't query for BLOBs and know if there is a dangling reference

 * BLOBs use OID fields.  Running out of OIDs is a problem in PostgreSQL
because they are only four bytes wide.  This makes BLOBs useless for large
databases.

 * bytea fields are easier to manipulate

I think I had some other reaons, but I can't think of them right now.

I also just liked storing the binary object itself as an attribute rather
than a somewhat dangling entity.

Jon