Обсуждение: perl shared library, redux

perl shared library, redux

От
Cindy
Дата:
Name removed to protect the guilty (see below).  I replied asking for
the path to the libperl.a.  Do they know what they are talking about
or are they out in orbit past pluto somewhere?

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:04:55 -0700
From:    (admin)
Subject: Re: shared library for perl (fwd)

There is no libperl.so for perl 5.004, but any package that is trying
to use perl that was doing it "right" shouldn't have to know anything
about that.  THere is a libperl.a which works just as well.

Mike

------- End of Forwarded Message

Just for reference/recap, I'm the one who has been unable to use the
createlang plperl and have been told that I need libperl.so.  I'm
running on:

[2:26pm] ctmoore@stephanus> uname -a
SunOS stephanus.tlg.uci.edu 5.8 Generic_108528-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

using postgres 7.2

--Cindy

Re: perl shared library, redux

Дата:
Cindy <ctmoore@uci.edu> writes:
> Name removed to protect the guilty (see below).  I replied asking for
> the path to the libperl.a.  Do they know what they are talking about
> or are they out in orbit past pluto somewhere?

On platforms where all code is built position-independent all the time,
the contents of libperl.a could be linked into plperl.so, and then it
would work.  Unfortunately, on many platforms this is not true and
you cannot insert a .a library into a .so library.  AFAIR we simply
do not try to build plperl that way: we insist that a shared-library
version of libperl be available, or we don't even try to build plperl.

            regards, tom lane