Обсуждение: pgaccess error message

pgaccess error message

От
Don Isgitt
Дата:
Hello,

I recently compiled from source pg 7.2.1. Version information is

gds=# select version();
                           version
 PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 3.0.4

All is well with the database proper and psql, and I have loaded several
million records with no problems. My one problem relates to pgaccess. I have
not previously tried to use it (I was on pg 6.5), so I wanted to see what it
was like. When I try to open my db (local machine), I receive the following
message:

Error trying to connect to database 'gds' on host localhost

PostgreSQL error message:Connection to database failed
ERROR: Client encoding UNICODE is not supported

That last bit is very strange. Everything is English; no locale or multibyte
or such things. At this time, I have taken all defaults for the *.conf files,
and the user is pg superuser.

Help! Obviously not urgent, but now I'm curious.

Thank you.

Don

pgaccess error message

От
Don Isgitt
Дата:
[...]

Re: pgaccess error message

Дата:
Don Isgitt <djisgitt@soundenergy.com> writes:
> [ pgaccess fails with ]

>  PostgreSQL error message:Connection to database failed
>  ERROR: Client encoding UNICODE is not supported

It looks like pgaccess is trying to use MULTIBYTE support, and your
server wasn't compiled with MULTIBYTE.

I think this shouldn't happen if pgaccess was also built without
multibyte support ... but I haven't looked at the tcl/tk interfaces
in awhile.  There may be some unintended dependency in there.  Or
maybe pgaccess is just picking up a stray libpgtcl (from somewhere
else on your system) that was built with multibyte support.

You can try to track down where the assumption of multibyte support is
coming in on the client side, or you can take the easy way out and
rebuild your server with multibyte support ...

            regards, tom lane