Обсуждение: Memory usage / concept

Memory usage / concept

От
Valerie Schneider DSI/DEV
Дата:
Hi, I'm a novice in PostgreSql. I'm used to work with Oracle. I'm testing
PostgreSql (7.2) on linux RedHat 7.1 and Solaris 8. I have some problems
with large queries : for example a "select * from my_table ..." and my_table
with a size of several Gb and several Mrows. If I set the ulimit to
"unlimited", I overflow my memory and my swap; if I limit it, my query
crashes. In fact I don't know how PG works with the memory use :
with Oracle I have to manage its memory space (the SGA); is there anything
like that with PG ?
Thanks, Valerie.

*    Les points de vue exprimes sont strictement personnels et     *
*      n'engagent pas la responsabilite de METEO-FRANCE.           *
* Valerie SCHNEIDER             Tel : +33 (0)5 61 07 81 91         *
* METEO-FRANCE / DSI/DEV        Fax : +33 (0)5 61 07 81 09         *
* 42, avenue G. Coriolis        Email : Valerie.Schneider@meteo.fr *
* 31057 TOULOUSE Cedex - FRANCE         http://www.meteo.fr        *

Re: Memory usage / concept

От
Jakub Ouhrabka
Дата:
hi,

i think it's your client (psql) what's actually crashing. it's attempting
to load all your rows into memory before displaying them. i'd recommend
using select * from foo order by something limit x offset y or using
cursor. i think there is no use for you to issue query like this...

see:
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?queries-limit.html
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-declare.html
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-fetch.html

hope that helps,                     kuba

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Valerie Schneider DSI/DEV wrote:

> Hi, I'm a novice in PostgreSql. I'm used to work with Oracle. I'm testing
> PostgreSql (7.2) on linux RedHat 7.1 and Solaris 8. I have some problems
> with large queries : for example a "select * from my_table ..." and my_table
> with a size of several Gb and several Mrows. If I set the ulimit to
> "unlimited", I overflow my memory and my swap; if I limit it, my query
> crashes. In fact I don't know how PG works with the memory use :
> with Oracle I have to manage its memory space (the SGA); is there anything
> like that with PG ?
> Thanks, Valerie.

> *    Les points de vue exprimes sont strictement personnels et     *
> *      n'engagent pas la responsabilite de METEO-FRANCE.           *
> * Valerie SCHNEIDER             Tel : +33 (0)5 61 07 81 91         *
> * METEO-FRANCE / DSI/DEV        Fax : +33 (0)5 61 07 81 09         *
> * 42, avenue G. Coriolis        Email : Valerie.Schneider@meteo.fr *
> * 31057 TOULOUSE Cedex - FRANCE         http://www.meteo.fr        *

Re: Memory usage / concept

От
Jakub Ouhrabka
Дата:
> >i think it's your client (psql) what's actually crashing. it's attempting
>
> Yes it is. But without using a cursor (and even if this kind of query isn't
> recommended) is there any solution to limit the use of the memory by PG itself
> (as for Oracle) ?

if you want to limit memory usage of psql (the client program), use
standard *nix tools - there isn't anything i know about in config etc...
if you want to limit memory usage of postgresql server itself, use
configuration parametrs shared_buffers and sort_mem. see:
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?runtime-config.html

kuba

Re: Memory usage / concept

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Дата:
On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Jakub Ouhrabka wrote:

> > >i think it's your client (psql) what's actually crashing. it's attempting
> >
> > Yes it is. But without using a cursor (and even if this kind of query isn't
> > recommended) is there any solution to limit the use of the memory by PG itself
> > (as for Oracle) ?

What sort of error does Oracle report when you try to retrieve several GB of
data? Is this in it's 'command line' interface?

Basically what I'm asking about is what the Client/Server protocol does.
Presuming that all clients don't crash but abort the query then presumably the
client library is doing the abort when it fails to allocate a chunk of storage
during the recieve. I must admit to not knowing what libpq does but it
certainly doesn't trap this situation and return an error to the caller. Why
not? Other than the caller should be implementing sufficient intelligence in a
real application to avoid the situation.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---