Обсуждение: How to covert 'char' to 'inet'

How to covert 'char' to 'inet'

От
mnihas@poczta.onet.pl (Michal O)
Дата:
Hi !
I've tried cast to convert char to inet, but that is no good waw :((.
Does anybody know how to do that ?
Thank you in advance.
Best regards
  Michal

Re: How to covert 'char' to 'inet'

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 04:29:21AM -0700, Michal O wrote:
> Hi !
> I've tried cast to convert char to inet, but that is no good waw :((.
> Does anybody know how to do that ?

Try trim(charfield)::inet.  Worked for me.  I think the problem is
that char is padded.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

time setting

От
"Craig Sturman"
Дата:
I've set my date format to the following in postmaster.conf:

PGDATESTYLE=NonEuropean,US

THe date format is exactly how I want it but I keep getting date setting
conflict errors like this one:
NOTICE:  Conflicting settings for date

I've done SET DATESTYLE=NonEuropean,US when connected to my database as well
but I still get the error.  I noticed someone mentioned the -e argument for
postmaster but I didn't see anything about it in man postmaster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  The reason I switched over is that
the site currently accessing the database is running on IIS/ASP/VBScript and
<%=Date%> records the date in this format.

Thanks again,

Craig S.

Re: time setting

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 15:40, Craig Sturman wrote:
> I've set my date format to the following in postmaster.conf:
>
> PGDATESTYLE=NonEuropean,US
>
> THe date format is exactly how I want it but I keep getting date setting
> conflict errors like this one:
> NOTICE:  Conflicting settings for date

NonEuropean and US are synonyms.

The first part of the DateStyle should be one of 'SQL', 'Postgres' or
'ISO'.   (In the case of ISO, the European/US alternative only affects
the input of dates.)

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another;
      be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and
      humble. Do not repay evil for evil or insult for
      insult, but with blessing, because to this you were
      called so that you may inherit a blessing."
                                          I Peter 3:8,9

Re: How to covert 'char' to 'inet'

От
mnihas@poczta.onet.pl (Michal O)
Дата:
Thank you. What I did was:

  inet(trim(both ' ' from server_ip::text))

and worked fine. Convertion to 'text' was needed.
Do you know how time consuming it is ? Is there more efficient way ?

Best regards
  Michal Otroszczenko

> > I've tried cast to convert char to inet, but that is no good waw :((.
> > Does anybody know how to do that ?
>
> Try trim(charfield)::inet.  Worked for me.  I think the problem is
> that char is padded.

Re: How to covert 'char' to 'inet'

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 01:40:01AM -0700, Michal O wrote:
> Thank you. What I did was:
>
>   inet(trim(both ' ' from server_ip::text))
>
> and worked fine. Convertion to 'text' was needed.
> Do you know how time consuming it is ? Is there more efficient way ?

No, as I say, char() is padded, and spaces (or whatever) are not
legal in IP addresses.  So, if you have a char field with data
10.0.0.1, its actual representation is something more like
'10.0.0.1_______', where '_' is the padding.  This is the same
problem you would have if you inserted the char() field into a
newly-created varchar() field: you'd get the padded text instead.
That's a reason to avoid using char() for most cases, unless you know
that the field will _always_ be the same length.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: How to covert 'char' to 'inet'

От
Darren Ferguson
Дата:
If you are using IP addresses then Postgres has some really nice IP
related datatypes and functions such as INET

I would definately be inclined to use these instead of char() and
varchar().

Darren

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 01:40:01AM -0700, Michal O wrote:
> > Thank you. What I did was:
> >
> >   inet(trim(both ' ' from server_ip::text))
> >
> > and worked fine. Convertion to 'text' was needed.
> > Do you know how time consuming it is ? Is there more efficient way ?
>
> No, as I say, char() is padded, and spaces (or whatever) are not
> legal in IP addresses.  So, if you have a char field with data
> 10.0.0.1, its actual representation is something more like
> '10.0.0.1_______', where '_' is the padding.  This is the same
> problem you would have if you inserted the char() field into a
> newly-created varchar() field: you'd get the padded text instead.
> That's a reason to avoid using char() for most cases, unless you know
> that the field will _always_ be the same length.

Darren Ferguson

Re: How to covert 'char' to 'inet'

От
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 10:18:37AM -0400,
 Darren Ferguson <darren@crystalballinc.com> wrote
 a message of 38 lines which said:

> If you are using IP addresses then Postgres has some really nice IP
> related datatypes and functions such as INET

But they do not support IPv6. See
<URL:http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php>, unfortunately.