Re: How to covert 'char' to 'inet'

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: How to covert 'char' to 'inet'
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 01:40:01AM -0700, Michal O wrote:
> Thank you. What I did was:
>
>   inet(trim(both ' ' from server_ip::text))
>
> and worked fine. Convertion to 'text' was needed.
> Do you know how time consuming it is ? Is there more efficient way ?

No, as I say, char() is padded, and spaces (or whatever) are not
legal in IP addresses.  So, if you have a char field with data
10.0.0.1, its actual representation is something more like
'10.0.0.1_______', where '_' is the padding.  This is the same
problem you would have if you inserted the char() field into a
newly-created varchar() field: you'd get the padded text instead.
That's a reason to avoid using char() for most cases, unless you know
that the field will _always_ be the same length.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110