Обсуждение: Access Two Databases

Access Two Databases

От
"Dean Grubb"
Дата:
Hi,

Is it possible using pl/pgSQL functions to grab data from another database
or even another database on a different host.

Thanks.

Re: Access Two Databases

От
Darren Ferguson
Дата:
Not that i am aware of

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Dean Grubb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible using pl/pgSQL functions to grab data from another database
> or even another database on a different host.
>
> Thanks.

Darren Ferguson

Re: Access Two Databases

От
Josh Jore
Дата:
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Dean Grubb wrote:

> Is it possible using pl/pgSQL functions to grab data from another database
> or even another database on a different host.

This is where your external-to-PostgreSQL language comes in handy. Open a
second connection to the database, do whatever you are going to do and
mash the results together outside of PostgreSQL. If for some reason you
think the data is related then perhaps you've erred by having more than
one database.

Joshua b. Jore ; http://www.greentechnologist.org

Re: Access Two Databases

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Darren Ferguson wrote:
> Not that i am aware of
>
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Dean Grubb wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Is it possible using pl/pgSQL functions to grab data from another database
>>or even another database on a different host.

You can with contrib/dblink.

In 7.2, it is a bit (well, maybe more than a bit) awkward, but it works.
I hope to have some substantial improvements in usability for the
upcoming 7.3 release making use of the new table functions feature.

Joe

Re: Access Two Databases

От
Darko Prenosil
Дата:
On Tuesday 23 July 2002 02:59, Joe Conway wrote:
> Darren Ferguson wrote:
> > Not that i am aware of
> >
> > On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Dean Grubb wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Is it possible using pl/pgSQL functions to grab data from another
> >> database or even another database on a different host.
>
> You can with contrib/dblink.

Hi Joe !
Remember me ?
Before about 3 months I send to You pl/pgSql wrapper functions for libpq.
We agreed then,  that merging it with dblink would be a good idea.
Meanwhile i used dblink and those functions and wrote some kind of
replication for my app.
Is there interest for such interface, or should I forget the whole thing ?

regards

Re: Access Two Databases

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Darko Prenosil wrote:
> Before about 3 months I send to You pl/pgSql wrapper functions for libpq.
> We agreed then,  that merging it with dblink would be a good idea.
> Meanwhile i used dblink and those functions and wrote some kind of
> replication for my app.
> Is there interest for such interface, or should I forget the whole thing ?

I still think it might be a good idea -- I just haven't had time to work
on dblink recently. I have a few things on my personal TODO list ahead
of it yet.

Joe