Обсуждение: just a quick one ...

just a quick one ...

От
Steve Brett
Дата:
i have 2 postgresql boxes, one live and one for dev.

the dev box has postgresql 7.2 compiled from source and ps auxf gets me a
postmaster process and then the db parameters (-i -B 512 etc).

the live box has 7.2 from deb packages and i have edited postgresql.conf to
give the same start parameters as the dev box but on ps auxf i don't get any
extra info ...

is there a way i check to see if postgresql started with the options i want
and not the defaults ?

performance seems ok but i'm worried that the live box may not have started
properly ....

live box:

postgres   320  0.0  0.3 16784 1780 ?        S    Jul15   0:13
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster
postgres   322  0.0  0.5 17776 2748 ?        S    Jul15   0:02  \_ postgres:
stats buffer process
postgres   323  0.0  0.3 16856 1836 ?        S    Jul15   0:10      \_
postgres: stats collector process

thanks,

Steve Brett

p..s i totally agree with the previous thread that was extolling the virtues
of postgresql and especially the amazing support.
keep it up guys !

Re: just a quick one ...

От
Manfred Koizar
Дата:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:50:50 +0100, Steve Brett <SBrett@e-mis.com>
wrote:
>is there a way i check to see if postgresql started with the options i want
>and not the defaults ?

# psql anydb
anydb=# SHOW ALL;
NOTICE:  enable_seqscan is on
NOTICE:  enable_indexscan is on
.
.
.

Servus
 Manfred

Re: just a quick one ...

От
nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 04:50:50PM +0100, Steve Brett wrote:
> the live box has 7.2 from deb packages and i have edited postgresql.conf to
> give the same start parameters as the dev box but on ps auxf i don't get any
> extra info ...

postgresql.conf specifies config options, *not* command-line parameters.
So any changes there will not show up in 'ps'.

You can use 'SHOW ALL;' to get a dump of your current config settings.

Personally, I make all my configuration changes in postgresql.conf, and
don't specify any additional arguments when starting the postmaster.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: just a quick one ...

От
"Steve Brett"
Дата:
test, please ignore

"Steve Brett" <stevebrett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> many thanks
>
> Steve
>
> "Neil Conway" <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> > On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 04:50:50PM +0100, Steve Brett wrote:
> > > the live box has 7.2 from deb packages and i have edited
postgresql.conf
> > > give the same start parameters as the dev box but on ps auxf i don't
get
> any
> > > extra info ...
> >
> > postgresql.conf specifies config options, *not* command-line parameters.
> > So any changes there will not show up in 'ps'.
> >
> > You can use 'SHOW ALL;' to get a dump of your current config settings.
> >
> > Personally, I make all my configuration changes in postgresql.conf, and
> > don't specify any additional arguments when starting the postmaster.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Neil
> >
> > --
> > Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
> > PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: just a quick one ...

От
"Steve Brett"
Дата:
many thanks

Steve

"Neil Conway" <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 04:50:50PM +0100, Steve Brett wrote:
> > the live box has 7.2 from deb packages and i have edited postgresql.conf
> > give the same start parameters as the dev box but on ps auxf i don't get
any
> > extra info ...
>
> postgresql.conf specifies config options, *not* command-line parameters.
> So any changes there will not show up in 'ps'.
>
> You can use 'SHOW ALL;' to get a dump of your current config settings.
>
> Personally, I make all my configuration changes in postgresql.conf, and
> don't specify any additional arguments when starting the postmaster.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
> PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: just a quick one ...

От
Alessandro Baretta
Дата:
> "Neil Conway" <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> wrote in message
>
>>Personally, I make all my configuration changes in postgresql.conf, and
>>don't specify any additional arguments when starting the postmaster.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Neil

Please, excuse me for stepping in. Although i read the docs,
  I have not found any indication on how to set the
datestyle from postgresql.conf. The only way I have found is
by specifying a -e parameter to postgres.

Am I missing anything?

Alex

Re: just a quick one ...

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 09:30, Alessandro Baretta wrote:
> Please, excuse me for stepping in. Although i read the docs,
>   I have not found any indication on how to set the
> datestyle from postgresql.conf. The only way I have found is
> by specifying a -e parameter to postgres.
>
> Am I missing anything?

You can also define the environment variable PGDATESTYLE; and once you
are connected you can use SET DATESTYLE.

In 7.3 DateStyle will be settable from postgresql.conf, but not in
7.2.1.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another;
      be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and
      humble. Do not repay evil for evil or insult for
      insult, but with blessing, because to this you were
      called so that you may inherit a blessing."
                                          I Peter 3:8,9

Re: just a quick one ...

От
Alessandro Baretta

Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 09:30, Alessandro Baretta wrote:
>
>>Please, excuse me for stepping in. Although i read the docs,
>>  I have not found any indication on how to set the
>>datestyle from postgresql.conf. The only way I have found is
>>by specifying a -e parameter to postgres.
>>
>>Am I missing anything?
>

> You can also define the environment variable PGDATESTYLE; and once you
> are connected you can use SET DATESTYLE.
>
> In 7.3 DateStyle will be settable from postgresql.conf, but not in
> 7.2.1.

Thank you very much.

Alex