Обсуждение: Re: [pgsql-general] DB GUI Design tool

Re: [pgsql-general] DB GUI Design tool

От
Christoph Dalitz
> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:04:38 +0900
> From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc@mega-bucks.co.jp>
>
> Can anyone recommend a free GUI DB design tool for Windows I could use
> to model my database design? (something similar to the design tool in MS
> access).

DataArchitect by TheKompany (http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/)
seems to be a powerful tool.

It is not free, but with 40$ extremely cheap and runs on Win32 and Unix as it
is based on QT.

Christoph Dalitz

Re: [pgsql-general] DB GUI Design tool

От
Curt Sampson
Дата:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Christoph Dalitz wrote:

> > From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc@mega-bucks.co.jp>
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a free GUI DB design tool for Windows I could use
> > to model my database design? (something similar to the design tool in MS
> > access).
> >
> DataArchitect by TheKompany
> (http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/) seems to be a
> powerful tool.

I just played with it, and I can't say I'm very impressed. When I
connected it to a postgres database and asked it to generate a document
from that schema, it generated ten empty table definitions. And when
creating tables, there seems no easy and automatic way to have it draw a
line indicating that a foreign key in one table references a primary key
in another, and make this line stick no matter where you move the table
in the diagram. Also, I couldn't figure out how to delete items from the
diagram.

Not to mention that creating table definitions in it is a lot more
work than just typing SQL into a text file.

So after about half an hour of playing, I abandoned it. Unfortunately,
I still have a need for some sort of graphical tool so I can make
pretty pictures for clients, but I've got a good budget for it, so I'd
be interested in any other recommendations. But I found this one hard
enough to use that in the end my "tool" may be paying a drone to keep a
Visio diagram up-to-date based on changes to my text files.

cjs

Re: [pgsql-general] DB GUI Design tool

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Дата:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
>
> > > From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc@mega-bucks.co.jp>
> > >
> > > Can anyone recommend a free GUI DB design tool for Windows I could use
> > > to model my database design? (something similar to the design tool in MS
> > > access).
> > >
> > DataArchitect by TheKompany
> > (http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/) seems to be a
> > powerful tool.
>
> I just played with it, and I can't say I'm very impressed. When I
> connected it to a postgres database and asked it to generate a document
> from that schema, it generated ten empty table definitions. And when
> creating tables, there seems no easy and automatic way to have it draw a
> line indicating that a foreign key in one table references a primary key
> in another, and make this line stick no matter where you move the table
> in the diagram. Also, I couldn't figure out how to delete items from the
> diagram.
>
> Not to mention that creating table definitions in it is a lot more
> work than just typing SQL into a text file.
>
> So after about half an hour of playing, I abandoned it. Unfortunately,
> I still have a need for some sort of graphical tool so I can make
> pretty pictures for clients, but I've got a good budget for it, so I'd
> be interested in any other recommendations. But I found this one hard
> enough to use that in the end my "tool" may be paying a drone to keep a
> Visio diagram up-to-date based on changes to my text files.

Pgaccess has a database design feature. It's currently called 'Schema'
unfortunately.

It doesn't generate a diagram from an existing database though and I'm not sure
about lines moving when items are moved around.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Re: [pgsql-general] DB GUI Design tool

От
Christoph Dalitz
Дата:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:30:03 +0900 (JST)
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
>
> > DataArchitect by TheKompany
> > (http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/) seems to be a
> > powerful tool.
>
> I just played with it, and I can't say I'm very impressed. When I
> connected it to a postgres database and asked it to generate a document
> from that schema, it generated ten empty table definitions.

Admittedly I had not tried it.

> Not to mention that creating table definitions in it is a lot more
> work than just typing SQL into a text file.

At my former workplace we had an own program that took a text file
with the description of the data model, compared it with the structures
found in the Oracle database and created/altered tables accordingly.

It seems to me that this is the most effective approach because graphical
tools become clumsy when the model contains more than four tables.
Hopefully I can find some time in the future for an implementation of
something similar.

> So after about half an hour of playing, I abandoned it. Unfortunately,
> I still have a need for some sort of graphical tool so I can make
> pretty pictures for clients.

What good is a messy picture with hundred tables containing zillions of
attributes for your clients? Don't they need a somewhat simplified
overview of only the most important E/R's?

If it is only for pictures, there is a free UML-tool that I occasionally use:
http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm/
It is written with Motif however and thus only runs on Unix.

If you eventually find something appropriate I would greatly appreciate a
short note on the tools that you have found.

Christoph Dalitz

Re: [pgsql-general] DB GUI Design tool

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 05:30:03PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

> So after about half an hour of playing, I abandoned it. Unfortunately,
> I still have a need for some sort of graphical tool so I can make
> pretty pictures for clients, but I've got a good budget for it, so I'd
> be interested in any other recommendations. But I found this one hard
> enough to use that in the end my "tool" may be paying a drone to keep a
> Visio diagram up-to-date based on changes to my text files.

Rod Taylor had a nice postgresql_autodoc.pl script at
http://www.zort.ca/postgresql.  It connects to an existing database
and generates dia files.  You have to place the tables where you'd
like on the diagram, so you still need a drone, but it's pretty good.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: [pgsql-general] DB GUI Design tool

От
Jan Pruner
Дата:
Try
http://www.casestudio.com/

Db Diagram looks pretty good.

J/

--
         Pruner Jan
       jan@pruner.cz

Re: DB GUI Design tool

От
"Kaare Rasmussen"
Дата:
> Rod Taylor had a nice postgresql_autodoc.pl script at
> http://www.zort.ca/postgresql.  It connects to an existing database
> and generates dia files.  You have to place the tables where you'd
> like on the diagram, so you still need a drone, but it's pretty good.

Can you make subdiagrams in DIA? I guess that you can make N copies of the
extracted file and then remove the unwanted entities from each diagram, but
it's not really a good way.

Any way to reimport to a PostgreSQL database from DIA - or any plans to make
such a tool?

Howitzvej 75               Åben 12.00-18.00        Web:      www.suse.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 12.00-16.00       Email:kar@kakidata.dk

Re: [pgsql-general] DB GUI Design tool

От
Kevin Brannen
Дата:
Curt Sampson wrote:

>>>From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc@mega-bucks.co.jp>
>>>
>>>Can anyone recommend a free GUI DB design tool for Windows I could use
>>>to model my database design? (something similar to the design tool in MS
>>>access).

> So after about half an hour of playing, I abandoned it. Unfortunately,
> I still have a need for some sort of graphical tool so I can make
> pretty pictures for clients, but I've got a good budget for it, so I'd
> be interested in any other recommendations. But I found this one hard
> enough to use that in the end my "tool" may be paying a drone to keep a
> Visio diagram up-to-date based on changes to my text files.

If you have the budget, I've found PowerDesigner from Sybase to be very
nice.  It's something like $995 for the "Physical Designer" product, but
a company can afford that.  It understands every major DB that I've ever
heard of, plus multiple versions of most of them (yes, it has an entry
for Postgresql 7.x).  You can create a schema from scratch, or it will
reverse engineer a schema to the graphic too, though you will have to
manually arrange the tables and reference lines to make it look nice.
The drawing tool is top-notch and will do probably everything you want
it to.  Then after you change the schema to what you want, it can create
the schema file to be used in psql to create the DB.  It also has report
generation capability (HTML & RTF output), as well as a
consistency/error checker.

If you have a big enough budget, they also have ERD and other tools in
the product family, but I've never used any of them.  I find the
Physical Designer to be more than adequate for my work.  The only real
drawback is that it only runs on an Win32 platform; but then VMWare
solves that problem by letting me run ms-win2k under Linux. :-)

HTH,
Kevin

Re: [pgsql-general] DB GUI Design tool

От
Darren Ferguson
Дата:
Sybase also have a free one out that is really good also

asentlnx

It is windows based and you just use the ODBC.

Darren

--
Darren Ferguson