Обсуждение: PostgreSQL / Reporting tool

PostgreSQL / Reporting tool

От
"Johnson, Shaunn"

Howdy:

I'm running PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on RedHat Linux 7.2 rev 10.

Curious to find out if anyone is using a (any) tool
to connect to the database and generate detailed level
reports.

For example, a minor part of the department is still
using MS Access a la ODBC to do some reporting.  A few
others are thinking about getting rid of any Microsoft
related product (yea!) but still need to find another
solution.  One possible solution is using Crystal Report
Writer (www.seagate.com).

Although I try to use Perl to do some not-too-complicated
reporting, having to learn a new language is something that
the department is not in favor of.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

-X

Re: PostgreSQL / Reporting tool

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Tuesday 09 Jul 2002 2:20 pm, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:
> Curious to find out if anyone is using a (any) tool
> to connect to the database and generate detailed level
> reports.
>
> For example, a minor part of the department is still
> using MS Access a la ODBC to do some reporting.  A few
> others are thinking about getting rid of any Microsoft
> related product (yea!) but still need to find another
> solution.  One possible solution is using Crystal Report
> Writer (www.seagate.com).

I use Access for reports on PCs - if people like it, leave them alone. Crystal
can be a real PITA although I think it's got the lion's share of reporting on
PCs.

> Although I try to use Perl to do some not-too-complicated
> reporting, having to learn a new language is something that
> the department is not in favor of.

There are various XML and similar projects out there that will produce a
report as postscript/pdf - AFAIK none of them offer the graphical template
building that Crystal/MS-Access do.

- Richard Huxton

Re: PostgreSQL / Reporting tool

От
"philip johnson"
No way to get your msaccess report tool ?

On Tuesday 09 Jul 2002 2:20 pm, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:
> Curious to find out if anyone is using a (any) tool
> to connect to the database and generate detailed level
> reports.
>
> For example, a minor part of the department is still
> using MS Access a la ODBC to do some reporting.  A few
> others are thinking about getting rid of any Microsoft
> related product (yea!) but still need to find another
> solution.  One possible solution is using Crystal Report
> Writer (www.seagate.com).

I use Access for reports on PCs - if people like it, leave them alone.
Crystal
can be a real PITA although I think it's got the lion's share of reporting
on
PCs.

> Although I try to use Perl to do some not-too-complicated
> reporting, having to learn a new language is something that
> the department is not in favor of.

There are various XML and similar projects out there that will produce a
report as postscript/pdf - AFAIK none of them offer the graphical template
building that Crystal/MS-Access do.

- Richard Huxton

Re: PostgreSQL / Reporting tool

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, philip johnson wrote:

> There are various XML and similar projects out there that will produce a
> report as postscript/pdf - AFAIK none of them offer the graphical template
> building that Crystal/MS-Access do.

Look at "http://datavision.sourceforge.net/".  I have installed it and
played with it a bit but then had to move on to other projects before I
could plumb its depths.  I was fairly impressed with it.

Rod