Обсуждение: What is a tuple?

What is a tuple?

От
Elaine Lindelef
Дата:
My apologies for the stupid question, but before I started using
postgres I never came across the word "tuple" quite in this context
before. I know  a "tuple" as "a data object containing two or more
components" ... but I'm not sure of its precise meaning in the
postgres universe. Is a tuple a row, a field value, a field value
paired with its datatype, what? If someone asks me the size of my
largest tuple, how do I calculate it? It seems to be related deeply
to the structure of postgres somehow.

Thanks for your patience.

Elaine

Re: What is a tuple?

От
Timothy Reaves
Дата:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:40:03 -0700
Elaine Lindelef <eel@cognitivity.com> wrote:

> My apologies for the stupid question, but before I started using
> postgres I never came across the word "tuple" quite in this context
> before. I know  a "tuple" as "a data object containing two or more
> components" ... but I'm not sure of its precise meaning in the
> postgres universe. Is a tuple a row, a field value, a field value
> paired with its datatype, what? If someone asks me the size of my
> largest tuple, how do I calculate it? It seems to be related deeply
> to the structure of postgres somehow.

    A 'tuple' is not a database - nor PostgreSQL - term.  It is a
mathimatical term meaing a set.  Withen the context of databases, a tuple
is always a row.  'Tuples' refers to the tuple set, or row set.

Re: What is a tuple?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:40:03PM -0700, Elaine Lindelef wrote:
> My apologies for the stupid question, but before I started using
> postgres I never came across the word "tuple" quite in this context
> before. I know  a "tuple" as "a data object containing two or more
> components" ... but I'm not sure of its precise meaning in the
> postgres universe. Is a tuple a row, a field value, a field value
> paired with its datatype, what? If someone asks me the size of my
> largest tuple, how do I calculate it? It seems to be related deeply
> to the structure of postgres somehow.

A tuple is a row. Isn't this in the glossary somewhere?
> arithmetic and those that can't.

Re: What is a tuple?

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Timothy Reaves wrote:

>     A 'tuple' is not a database - nor PostgreSQL - term.  It is a
> mathimatical term meaing a set.  Withen the context of databases, a tuple
> is always a row.  'Tuples' refers to the tuple set, or row set.

  And, in the same mathematical language of relational databases, what we
commonly call a "table" is a "relation". "Columns" are called "attributes".

  A good database management book will teach you the vocabulary.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com

Re: What is a tuple?

Дата:
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:40:03PM -0700, Elaine Lindelef wrote:
> > My apologies for the stupid question, but before I started using
> > postgres I never came across the word "tuple" quite in this context
> > before. I know  a "tuple" as "a data object containing two or more
> > components" ... but I'm not sure of its precise meaning in the
> > postgres universe. Is a tuple a row, a field value, a field value
> > paired with its datatype, what? If someone asks me the size of my
> > largest tuple, how do I calculate it? It seems to be related deeply
> > to the structure of postgres somehow.
>
> A tuple is a row. Isn't this in the glossary somewhere?

It's in the FAQ.

Re: What is a tuple?

От
Elaine Lindelef
Дата:
> > A tuple is a row. Isn't this in the glossary somewhere?
>
>It's in the FAQ.

Thank you all for your help. Tuple = Row ; that makes sense.

However, I do want to assure you that I spent some time on the
postgresql.org website trying to find this information:

    - What glossary? I really did look hard!

    - No, it's not in the (English) FAQ. The only line about tuples is:

    "5.3) How do I write a C function to return a tuple?
    This requires wizardry so extreme that the authors have never
    tried it, though in principle it can be done."

And, since other areas of the FAQ and documentation use "row", it's
easy to suspect that perhaps there's a different meaning for "tuple."
(I presume what really happened is that different writers happened to
prefer different vocabulary.)

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to add this to the FAQ, or make
the glossary more prominent on the site if it is explained there.

Elaine

Re: What is a tuple?

Дата:
Elaine Lindelef wrote:
> > > A tuple is a row. Isn't this in the glossary somewhere?
> >
> >It's in the FAQ.
> >

> Thank you all for your help. Tuple = Row ; that makes sense.
>
> However, I do want to assure you that I spent some time on the
> postgresql.org website trying to find this information:
>
>     - What glossary? I really did look hard!
>
>     - No, it's not in the (English) FAQ. The only line about tuples is:
>
>     "5.3) How do I write a C function to return a tuple?
>     This requires wizardry so extreme that the authors have never
>     tried it, though in principle it can be done."
>
> And, since other areas of the FAQ and documentation use "row", it's
> easy to suspect that perhaps there's a different meaning for "tuple."
> (I presume what really happened is that different writers happened to
> prefer different vocabulary.)
>
> Perhaps someone would be kind enough to add this to the FAQ, or make
> the glossary more prominent on the site if it is explained there.

Already in the FAQ:

    <H4><A name="4.17">4.17</A>) What is the meaning of some of the
    terms used in PostgreSQL?</H4>

/usr/local/bin/mime: cannot create /dev/ttyp3: permission denied

Re: What is a tuple?

От
ktt
Дата:
this is that i've found in webopedia:

tuple=record

&

record=In database management systems, a complete set
of information.

i.e.

tuple in database management systems = a complete set
of information.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/t/tuple.html

--- Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> somewhere?
> > >
> > >It's in the FAQ.
> > >

> > Thank you all for your help. Tuple = Row ; that
> makes sense.
> >
> > However, I do want to assure you that I spent some
> time on the
> > postgresql.org website trying to find this
> information:
> >
> >     - What glossary? I really did look hard!
> >
> >     - No, it's not in the (English) FAQ. The only
> line about tuples is:
> >
> >     "5.3) How do I write a C function to return a
> tuple?
> >     This requires wizardry so extreme that the
> authors have never
> >     tried it, though in principle it can be done."
> >
> > And, since other areas of the FAQ and
> documentation use "row", it's
> > easy to suspect that perhaps there's a different
> meaning for "tuple."
> > (I presume what really happened is that different
> writers happened to
> > prefer different vocabulary.)
> >
> > Perhaps someone would be kind enough to add this
> to the FAQ, or make
> > the glossary more prominent on the site if it is
> explained there.
>
> Already in the FAQ:
>
>     <H4><A name="4.17">4.17</A>) What is the meaning
> of some of the
>     terms used in PostgreSQL?</H4>
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian                        |
> http://candle.pha.pa.us
>   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
> 853-3000
>   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe
> Avenue
>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel
> Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
> /usr/local/bin/mime: cannot create /dev/ttyp3:
> permission denied

> http://archives.postgresql.org

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Re: What is a tuple?

От
Curt Sampson
Дата:
Well, maybe just to keep things fun, I'll confuse the heck out of
all you guys.

To be pedantic, "relation" and "tuple" are mathmatical terms used
in relational algebra; "table" and "row" are references to entities
in physical storage.

A relation cannot contain duplicate tuples, but a table can contain
duplicate rows. So let's look at the following:

    key    | value
    --------+---------------------
    1    | one
    2    | two
    2    | two

This can be a table, but not a relation. The relation wouldn't have
that last row in it.

But in fact, it gets more interesting. Tables don't actually
correspond to relations; they correspond to _relvars_, or variables
that hold relations. Given the following table "foo":

    SELECT * FROM foo

    key    | value
    --------+---------------------
    1    | one
    2    | two

    DELETE FROM foo WHERE key = 2
    SELECT * FROM foo

    key    | value
    --------+---------------------
    1    | one

The two relations you see above are obviously not equal. They're
two different relations. When you deleted that row/tuple, you
effectively assigned a new relation to the relvar "foo".

There's more like this, but it can be most effectively appreciated by
reading C. J. Date's book _An Introduction to Database Systems_.

cjs

Re: What is a tuple?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:17:22AM -0400, David Siebert wrote:
> Tuple = row... Why not just use row? I know what a tuple is but it seems
> like a word to impress more than inform.

I can think of a few reasons:

1. Databases have been using the term "tuple" for a very long time.
Relational algebra talks about tuples exclusively.
2. The definition of a "tuple" is precise (a set of elements). A "row" could be anything
(row in array, row on screen).
3. Whats wrong with having multiple words for the same thing anyway?

There's also:

relation == table
resultset == tuples (?)

Anyway, have a nice day :)

"David Siebert"
Дата:
Tuple = row... Why not just use row? I know what a tuple is but it seems
like a word to impress more than inform.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:40:03PM -0700, Elaine Lindelef wrote:
> My apologies for the stupid question, but before I started using
> postgres I never came across the word "tuple" quite in this context
> before. I know  a "tuple" as "a data object containing two or more
> components" ... but I'm not sure of its precise meaning in the
> postgres universe. Is a tuple a row, a field value, a field value
> paired with its datatype, what? If someone asks me the size of my
> largest tuple, how do I calculate it? It seems to be related deeply
> to the structure of postgres somehow.

A tuple is a row. Isn't this in the glossary somewhere?
> arithmetic and those that can't.

Re: What is a tuple?

От
Chris Humphries
Дата:
well a row is more a visualation word, when you do a select, you
get "rows" back... they look like rows...

a tuple is actually what it is. not meant to impress, but just what
it is. a tuple is defined as "a data object containing two or more
components".

hope this clears up some confusion.

-chris

=On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:17:22AM -0400,
=recieved 1.4K bytes from David Siebert containing this:
> Tuple = row... Why not just use row? I know what a tuple is but it seems
> like a word to impress more than inform.

Re: What is a tuple?

От
Steve Brett
Дата:
I think tuple comes from a more classical description where tables are
relations and is mainly used in the description of relational model
concepts.

Elmasri and Nevathe (Fundamentals of Database Systems) describe a tuple as a
row and don't seem to make any distinction between the two, Date
(Introduction to Database Systems) promises as full and formal description
of exactly what a tuple is but doesn't deliver it and makes the same
equivelence. At Uni we used tuples and the more formal relation language to
describe databases but at work we use rows as the language is more easily
understood.

I do agree with your point that it may be a way to impress more than inform
but think it may be just a language thing, with some people preferring one
over the other.

Steve

Josh Jore
Дата:
Perhaps I've been incorrect but I've normally used 'row' when referring to
the tuple that actually exists on disk and returned by a straight SELECT

SELECT attr,attr,attr FROM ...

I've used tuple when I want to refer to the virtual, only in memory row
that is created through things like:

SELECT a.attr,b.attr FROM ... a, ... b

My point being that when I'm talking about something more abstract to use
the more abstract form. It's just sort of a way for me to keep things
straight in conversation.

Joshua b. Jore ; http://www.greentechnologist.org

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Chris Humphries wrote:

> well a row is more a visualation word, when you do a select, you
> get "rows" back... they look like rows...
>
> a tuple is actually what it is. not meant to impress, but just what
> it is. a tuple is defined as "a data object containing two or more
> components".
>
> hope this clears up some confusion.
>
> -chris
>

> =On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:17:22AM -0400,
> =recieved 1.4K bytes from David Siebert containing this:
> > Tuple = row... Why not just use row? I know what a tuple is but it seems
> > like a word to impress more than inform.

Daryl Beattie
Дата:
I've always wondered that myself! And this is the answer I came up with in
my head:

Tuple is an abstract term. You can use it when discussing a set of data.

Row is a physical term, referring to a row in a database table.

So, when talking about any row in any table (which may or may not be
physical), it is appropriate to use the term "tuple". But when speaking of a
database in a non-abstract sense, it is better just to say "row".

Hope my input helps. :)

- Daryl.