Обсуждение: Postgresql installation problem

Postgresql installation problem

От
"Pierre-Alexis Paquin"
Дата:
Hi

I have installed a 7.1.3 postgresql version on my linux server. (RedHat 7.2)

When I type "createuser xxxxxxxx" it asks me :  Shall the new user allowed to create databases (y/n)?
                                                                        Shall the new user allowed to create more new user (y/n)?

I answer yes to the both questions and then a bug report said :
    " psql : connetDbstart()  -- connect() failed - no such file or directory
     Is the postmaster running locally and accepting connections on Unix socket :'/tmp/.s.PSQL.5432'
   createuser : creation of user 'xxxxxxx' failed.

I already had answers to this but I am a newbie in linux, so i didn't understand what i have to do exactly to resolve this problem.

Someone wrote me :
1. Did you initialized your database with initdb ?
2. Have you started Postgres with postmaster -i   or pg_ctl start ?
3. Have you modified parameters in $PGDATA/postgresql.conf file ?
Follow your answers, you have solved your problem

1.When i type initdb it said me that it's not possible to create specific directories (pgsql and data)
2. How am I supposed to use the postmaster or pg_ctl ??
3. The installation is not complete so i haven't a postgresql.conf file ....

Thanks for your help.
Pierre-Alexis

Re: Postgresql installation problem

От
"William N. Zanatta"
Дата:
I'm also a newbie on postgresql. The first time I installed it was last
friday. But I'll give a shot! Any mistakes, please correct me guys!

> 1. Did you initialized your database with initdb ?

This step creates the base files needed to run PSQL.
I'll assume you're running postgresql as postgres user.
Firstly, create a directory like data in your psql home directory. Then,
if the owner is not the postgres user, give him the ownershio of it.
Something like:

    # cd /usr/local/psql
    # mkdir data
    # chown postgres:users data
    # chmod 755 data

the '#' means I'm root!

now, initdb...

    # su postgres
    $ pwd
  /usr/local/psql
    $ cd bin
    $ ./initdb -D /usr/local/psql/data

the '$' means I'm a normal user like 'postgres' in this case

> 2. Have you started Postgres with postmaster -i   or pg_ctl start ?

Now you must start your postgresql daemon as postgres user. YOU CANNOT
START POSTGRESQL AS ROOT.

    $ pwd
  /usr/local/psql/bin
    $ ./postmaster -i -D /usr/local/psql/data &

ok now your daemon should be started...

> 3. Have you modified parameters in $PGDATA/postgresql.conf file ?
> Follow your answers, you have solved your problem

you can do it later. for now, check if it is working as you wish.

See ya,

William Zanatta

Re: Postgresql installation problem

От
Andrew Gould
Дата:
To initialize the database, the database user must
have the proper permissions to create the database
directories you've mentioned (pgsql, pgsql/data).

Assuming the following:
Database User: postgres
Databsase User's group: database
Database directory: /var/lib/pgsql/data

1. Read the online documentation for your version at
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/

2. As root:
create the group database in /etc/group
create the user postgres
  mkdir -p /var/lib/pgsql/data
  chown -R postgres.database /var/lib/pgsql/

3. Login as postgres and:
add the next 2 lines to postgres' .profile
  PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/data
  export $PGDATA
execute the following from the command line:
  initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
  postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data &

I think this should do it.  If I forgot anything, I'm
sure someone will correct me!  ;-)

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: Postgresql installation problem

От
"Pierre-Alexis Paquin"
Дата:
First thanx for the speed of your response.

The problem is that nothing's happened when I launch postmaster.
When I run postmaster - i , the system writes :

    2002-04-15 . 10:47:06  [1016] DEBUG : database system was shut down at
    2002-04-15 . 10:47:06  [1016] DEBUG : Checkpoint record at (0,1522276)
    2002-04-15 . 10:47:06  [1016] DEBUG : Redo record at (0,1522276) : undo
record (0,0) shutdown TRUE
    2002-04-15 . 10:47:06  [1016] DEBUG : NextTransactionId : 615 ;
NextOid:18720
    2002-04-15 . 10:47:06  [1016] DEBUG : database system is in production
state
and it does nothing else, I don't have the prompt.

when i make CTRL-C to interrupt, the sytem writes : database was shutdown.

I think the database system starts well but there is a problem that I don't
know.
I type psql template1 or createdb ...  and nothing's happen.

Thanx for your help
Pierre-Alexis

> I'm also a newbie on postgresql. The first time I installed it was last
> friday. But I'll give a shot! Any mistakes, please correct me guys!
>
> > 1. Did you initialized your database with initdb ?
>
> This step creates the base files needed to run PSQL.
> I'll assume you're running postgresql as postgres user.
> Firstly, create a directory like data in your psql home directory. Then,
> if the owner is not the postgres user, give him the ownershio of it.
> Something like:
>
>     # cd /usr/local/psql
>     # mkdir data
>     # chown postgres:users data
>     # chmod 755 data
>
> the '#' means I'm root!
>
> now, initdb...
>
>     # su postgres
>     $ pwd
>   /usr/local/psql
>     $ cd bin
>     $ ./initdb -D /usr/local/psql/data
>
> the '$' means I'm a normal user like 'postgres' in this case
>
> > 2. Have you started Postgres with postmaster -i   or pg_ctl start ?
>
> Now you must start your postgresql daemon as postgres user. YOU CANNOT
> START POSTGRESQL AS ROOT.
>
>     $ pwd
>   /usr/local/psql/bin
>     $ ./postmaster -i -D /usr/local/psql/data &
>
> ok now your daemon should be started...
>
> > 3. Have you modified parameters in $PGDATA/postgresql.conf file ?
> > Follow your answers, you have solved your problem
>
> you can do it later. for now, check if it is working as you wish.
>

> See ya,
>
> William Zanatta

Re: Postgresql installation problem

От
Tycho Fruru
Дата:
http://www.foo.be/docs/unix

hint : '&'

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Pierre-Alexis Paquin wrote:

> The problem is that nothing's happened when I launch postmaster.
[snip]

--
Tycho Fruru                            tycho@fruru.com
"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."

Re: Postgresql installation problem

От
Tycho Fruru
Дата: