Обсуждение: getting currval from a sequence

getting currval from a sequence

От
tony
Дата:
Hello,

I would like to be able to get currval from a sequence but am running
ito the "current session" limitation.

I need to get the id of the previous record either during a session or
on a cold start (next morning for example).

How does one get the last record from a series of records? I just need
the id field which is a sequence field

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S
http://www.animaproductions.com/linux2.html

timespan_part()?

От
"Cornelia Boenigk"
Дата:
Hello

In a script I found a query

SELECT timespan_part( ... ) FROM table;

Is this a valid PostgreSQL-function? In the documentation I didn't
find any hint.
If yes, does PostgreSQL 7.1 support this function?

Thanks
Conni

Re: getting currval from a sequence

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 11:42:31AM +0100,
  tony <tony@animaproductions.com> wrote:

> How does one get the last record from a series of records? I just need
> the id field which is a sequence field

select max(id) from whatever;
(This assumes the sequence hasn't rolled over.)

Re: timespan_part()?

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 02:35:21PM +0100, Cornelia Boenigk wrote:
> Hello
>
> In a script I found a query
>
> SELECT timespan_part( ... ) FROM table;
>
> Is this a valid PostgreSQL-function? In the documentation I didn't
> find any hint.
> If yes, does PostgreSQL 7.1 support this function?

 Rather use date_part().

        Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

 C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz, http://mape.jcu.cz

Re: timespan_part()?

От
"Cornelia Boenigk"
Дата:
Hi Karel

> Rather use date_part().

I know what to use instead and I know that I should use interval,
because timespan will be deprecated in future releases. Is PostgreSQL
such a future release?
My question is, weather a script with timespan_part() is working
properly in PostgreSQL 7.1.

Greetings
Conni

Re: timespan_part()?

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> My question is, weather a script with timespan_part() is working
> properly in PostgreSQL 7.1.

No. That function was deprecated for 7.0. And did not need to be called
explicitly in any version; date_part() was always the preferred choice.
afaicr...

                       - Thomas

Re: getting currval from a sequence - BUG ?

От
Jan Poslusny
Дата:
Hi,
select currval('sequence_name');
with quotes should help you. But my pg 7.1.2 throws error
"sequence_name.currval is not yet defined in this session" (possibly bug
?). If I use sequence before calling this (for instance "insert into
mytable values(nextval('sequence_name'));" ), all is OK.

pajout

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 11:42:31AM +0100,
>   tony <tony@animaproductions.com> wrote:
>
>>How does one get the last record from a series of records? I just need
>>the id field which is a sequence field
>>

> select max(id) from whatever;
> (This assumes the sequence hasn't rolled over.)

Re: getting currval from a sequence - BUG ?

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Jan Poslusny <pajout@gingerall.cz> writes:

> Hi,
> select currval('sequence_name');
> with quotes should help you. But my pg 7.1.2 throws error
> "sequence_name.currval is not yet defined in this session" (possibly
> bug ?). If I use sequence before calling this (for instance "insert
> into mytable values(nextval('sequence_name'));" ), all is OK.

This is documented behavior.  See the FAQ and the docs.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: getting currval from a sequence - BUG ?

От
Darren Ferguson
Дата:
You are right with the currval but it is not a bug since you have not
initiated a nextval in the current session yet.

Check the list 3 - 4weeks back there was a nice thread about this and it
should hoepfully provide the answer

Darren

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Jan Poslusny wrote:

> Hi,
> select currval('sequence_name');
> with quotes should help you. But my pg 7.1.2 throws error
> "sequence_name.currval is not yet defined in this session" (possibly bug
> ?). If I use sequence before calling this (for instance "insert into
> mytable values(nextval('sequence_name'));" ), all is OK.
>
> pajout
>

> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 11:42:31AM +0100,
> >   tony <tony@animaproductions.com> wrote:
> >
> >>How does one get the last record from a series of records? I just need
> >>the id field which is a sequence field
> >>

> > select max(id) from whatever;
> > (This assumes the sequence hasn't rolled over.)

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: getting currval from a sequence

Дата:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 11:42:31AM +0100,
>   tony <tony@animaproductions.com> wrote:
> >
> > How does one get the last record from a series of records? I just need
> > the id field which is a sequence field
>
> select max(id) from whatever;
> (This assumes the sequence hasn't rolled over.)

You can do a select on the sequence table that lays behind the sequence.
usually ending in _seq.  You can't use currval() because that is a
per-backend value that saves your previous nextval call.  Make sure you
lock the sequence table during the retrieve if you want an accurate
number and don't unlock it until you are done with the value.