Обсуждение: Install postmaster as service in win2K

Install postmaster as service in win2K

От
samik@cae.wisc.edu (Samik Raychaudhuri)
Дата:
Hello,
Has anybody tried starting postmaster as a service in Win2k? What are
the steps for it? Also, how does one assure that ipc-deamon as service
starts ahead of postmaster in that case?
Thanks for any pointers.
Regards.
-Samik

Re: Install postmaster as service in win2K

От
samik@cae.wisc.edu (Samik Raychaudhuri)
Дата:
Hello,
I didn't get any reply to the following post, but I progressed a bit
in the direction. I put a service with 'Path to executable' as
'E:\Unixroot\bin\bash.exe pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -o
"-i"' and put a dependency on ipc-daemon, which I have already
installed as service. ipc-daemon starts fine, but this service still
doesn't start.
Interesting part is, if I issue the same line from command prompt,
postmaster starts successfully.
Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks and regards.
-Samik

samik@cae.wisc.edu (Samik Raychaudhuri) wrote in message news:<fbf5e750.0202061606.74e5b3e7@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> Has anybody tried starting postmaster as a service in Win2k? What are
> the steps for it? Also, how does one assure that ipc-deamon as service
> starts ahead of postmaster in that case?
> Thanks for any pointers.
> Regards.
> -Samik

Re: Install postmaster as service in win2K

От
samik@cae.wisc.edu (Samik Raychaudhuri)
Дата:
Just a followup to my previous mail:
I am getting this error, when I am trying to manually start the
service from the Control- Panel -> Services Tab:

 Could not start PGSQL Database service on local computer.
 Error 1053: The service didn't respond to the start or control
request in a timely fashion.

Thanks
-Samik

Re: Install postmaster as service in win2K

От
samik@cae.wisc.edu (Samik Raychaudhuri)
Дата:
Seems I am the only person posting to this thread ;)
It's time to wrap up...
I got the things done, by following the instructions line by line as
given in postgresql-7.1.3 readme.
A copy of the file is available here:
http://www.ejip.net/faq/postgresql-7.1.3.README
And an error correction is here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2001-08/msg00107.php
Thanks and enjoy installing.
-Samik

Install postmaster as service in win2K

От
"Carlo Florendo"
Дата:
Hi,

I was trying to install postgres as a service in win2k  It was both successful and unsuccessful.

Successful in the sense that I could connect to the server (coolio.ntsp.nec.co.jp) from another machine
by running

"psql -d test -h coolio.ntsp.nec.co.jp"

Unsuccessful in the sense that when I connect locally by

"psql -d test"

I get this error message:

connectDBstart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
 Is the postmaster running locally
 and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

I checked the bottom part of the manual file postmaster-start.html and it said this:

---------start quote---------------
Alternatively, you'll get this when attempting Unix-socket communication to a local postmaster:

connectDBstart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
    Is the postmaster running locally
    and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

The last line is useful in verifying that the client is trying to connect where it is supposed to. If there is in fact
nopostmaster
running there, the kernel error message will typically be either Connection refused or No such file or directory, as
illustrated.
(It is particularly important to realize that Connection refused in this context does not mean that the postmaster got
your
connection request and rejected it -- that case will produce a different message, as shown in Section 4.3.) Other error
messages
such as Connection timed out may indicate more fundamental problems, like lack of network connectivity.

-----------end of quote---------------

How am I supposed to connect using TCP sockets and not UNIX sockets.  And why did it try to connect using UNIX sockets?

Many Thanks!

Carlo Florendo
NEC Telecoms
fcarlo@ntsp.nec.co.jp

> Seems I am the only person posting to this thread ;)
> It's time to wrap up...
> I got the things done, by following the instructions line by line as
> given in postgresql-7.1.3 readme.
> A copy of the file is available here:
> http://www.ejip.net/faq/postgresql-7.1.3.README
> And an error correction is here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2001-08/msg00107.php
> Thanks and enjoy installing.
> -Samik

Re: Install postmaster as service in win2K

Дата:
"Carlo Florendo" <fcarlo@ntsp.nec.co.jp> writes:
> I was trying to install postgres as a service in win2k  It was both successful and unsuccessful.

> Successful in the sense that I could connect to the server (coolio.ntsp.nec.co.jp) from another machine by running

> "psql -d test -h coolio.ntsp.nec.co.jp"

> Unsuccessful in the sense that when I connect locally by

> "psql -d test"

> I get this error message:

> connectDBstart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
>  Is the postmaster running locally
>  and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

Try

    psql -d test -h localhost

Not sure why libpq isn't set up to do that by default on platforms where
there is no Unix-socket support.  Anyone want to submit a patch?

            regards, tom lane