Обсуждение: implicit analyze on vacuum?

implicit analyze on vacuum?

От
culley
Дата:
couple of questions about vacuum:

If you run vacuum nightly does that mean you do not need to run vacuum
analyze? is analyze implicit?

I've set up a job to vacuum my databases nightly but the account running
the job doesn't have super-user permissions and it blows up on all the pg_
tables. Is there any harm in transferring ownership of these tables away
from a super-user?

culley

Postgresql Not working..

От
"Megalex"
Дата:
i've been trying to find help everywhere..
Im new at postgresql and im running Postgresql on Mandrake 8.1 (or redhat)
and everytime i try to insert into a text field large text it will hang..

example..

Create table dodo (textfield text NULL);

Insert Into dodo (textfield) values('HUGEText');

//---------------------------------------------------------//

where HugeText = a web page html source or any big sized text data..  24 -
100 Kb size

now i know that Postgres had limitations with large text but wasnt that
fixed with toast.. but why then is my query timing out ONLY when i try to
insert large text..??

any help would be appreciated..
Thanks..

Re: Postgresql Not working..

От
"Andrew Snow"
Дата:
Are you correctly escaping the HUGEText ?

- Andrew

> example..
>
> Create table dodo (textfield text NULL);
>
> Insert Into dodo (textfield) values('HUGEText');
>
> //---------------------------------------------------------//
>
> where HugeText = a web page html source or any big sized text
> data..  24 - 100 Kb size
>
> now i know that Postgres had limitations with large text but
> wasnt that fixed with toast.. but why then is my query timing
> out ONLY when i try to insert large text..??

Re: implicit analyze on vacuum?

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
culley <culley@easystreet.com> writes:

> couple of questions about vacuum:
>
> If you run vacuum nightly does that mean you do not need to run vacuum
> analyze? is analyze implicit?

No.  Running VACUUM ANALYZE will do everything needed, though (VACUUM
is implicit in VACUUM ANALYZE).

> I've set up a job to vacuum my databases nightly but the account
> running the job doesn't have super-user permissions and it blows up on
> all the pg_ tables. Is there any harm in transferring ownership of
> these tables away from a super-user?

It would be much better to run the VACUUM job as the PG superuser or
an account with superuser privs.  I would think changing perms on pg_*
could lead to severe security holes.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863