Обсуждение: Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc

Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc

От
Eric Cholet
Дата:
Using CREATE INDEX on a large table (>70 million rows)
results in the following error:

ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc(134217728)

(134217728 is exactly 128 megabytes).

The box has 2Gigs of RAM.
=> select version();
                               version
 PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on i386-unknown-freebsd4.4, compiled by GCC 2.95.3

Is there anyway around this ?

--
Eric Cholet

Re: Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Using CREATE INDEX on a large table (>70 million rows)
> results in the following error:
> ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc(134217728)
> (134217728 is exactly 128 megabytes).

You may be running into a per-process limit, which can be adjusted in
the kernel (probably after boot time, but I'm not familiar with the
details on FreeBSD).

                    - Thomas

Re: Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Eric Cholet <cholet@logilune.com> writes:

> Using CREATE INDEX on a large table (>70 million rows)
> results in the following error:
>
> ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc(134217728)
>
> (134217728 is exactly 128 megabytes).
>
> The box has 2Gigs of RAM.

Have you double checked to make sure the ulimits for postmaster are
large enough?

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc

Дата:
Doug McNaught <doug@wireboard.com> writes:
> Have you double checked to make sure the ulimits for postmaster are
> large enough?

More to the point, what have you got SORT_MEM set to?  We're assuming
that this allocation request is correct, and indeed it probably is if
you've got SORT_MEM cranked up to the moon.  But if you don't then
there may be a different issue (like corrupted data).

FWIW, running with SORT_MEM set in the hundreds of megs on a 2gig
box does not strike me as a good idea.  Keep in mind that that number
is *per sorting operation*.  Each backend might be trying to use that
much simultaneously --- in fact, in complex queries it's not hard to
cause a single backend to be executing multiple sort steps.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc

От
Eric Cholet
Дата:
--On mercredi 14 novembre 2001 10:37 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

> Doug McNaught <doug@wireboard.com> writes:
>> Have you double checked to make sure the ulimits for postmaster are
>> large enough?
>
> More to the point, what have you got SORT_MEM set to?  We're assuming
> that this allocation request is correct, and indeed it probably is if
> you've got SORT_MEM cranked up to the moon.  But if you don't then
> there may be a different issue (like corrupted data).
>
> FWIW, running with SORT_MEM set in the hundreds of megs on a 2gig
> box does not strike me as a good idea.  Keep in mind that that number
> is *per sorting operation*.  Each backend might be trying to use that
> much simultaneously --- in fact, in complex queries it's not hard to
> cause a single backend to be executing multiple sort steps.

That's it, trying to make postgres use more memory I cranked up SORT_MEM
to a much too high value. I just reduced it back to 1024 and it's working
fine now.

Thanks to the other posters who replied, I found out FreeBSD's default
kernel limits the data segment size to 128M, so I raised that as well.

I certainly didn't understand SORT_MEM's semantics. Any pointers, hints
on how to tune postgres to make best use of all the memory I've got
would be appreciated. My largest table is going to have ~ 200 million
rows. The docs are a little terse on how to tune for that kind of volume.

I said:
> More to the point, what have you got SORT_MEM set to?

Or maybe that's not the point.  A quick look through the sources didn't
turn up any repalloc calls that look like they could make requests that
large (at least not before you'd run out of memory from other causes).

Could you attach to the backend process with gdb, set a breakpoint
at elog, and get a backtrace, so we can see where the oversize
request is coming from?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Memory exhausted in AllocSetReAlloc

Дата:

There is a performance paper I wrote on techdocs site:

    http://techdocs.postgresql.org