Обсуждение: What CASE tools and clients for Postgres?

What CASE tools and clients for Postgres?

От
"Milorad Poluga"
Дата:
Hi, everybody!
I am a programmer with the 12-years experience in COBOL and FoxPro under
Unix environment.
Postgres seems to me as a good choice for step toward web apps, ERP, CRM,
e-business/commerce, etc. I have red many articles about Postgres but I am
still not sure:
1. What is the recommended tool from design of business processes and data
model, e.g. what CASE tool is the best for porting logical schema to
Postgres (if any is directly applicable);
2. What is the best client tool with a good GUI for Unix/Linux, and what is
for Windows/NT environment?
Thanks in advance for any advice, web link or book title.
Milorad Poluga

Re: What CASE tools and clients for Postgres?

От
Sam Staton
Дата:
Aren't Nassi-Schneiderman diagrams primarily for describing control
flow, not data modelling? The examples here, for example, allow
creation of a NS diagram and then generated the relevant C or Pascal
code.

Thanks for the links anyhow, they may well come in useful.

On 6 Jun 2001 02:38:33 -0700, lobet_romuald@my-deja.com (Romuald
Lobet) wrote:

>Hi Milorad,
>
>Searching for powerful CASE Tools ?
>
>I contacted two researchers about this question:
>Ike Nassi and Ben Schneiderman.
>
>They developped a new kind of diagrams. Here is their reply about CASE
>Tools related to NASSI-SCHNEIDERMAN DIAGRAMS.

>From:           Ike Nassi and Ben Scheiderman
>cc:
>Subject:    RE: Nassi-Shneiderman Diagrams
>

>I've been traveling... but here are a few recent web sites that may
>help...
>

>Ben Shneiderman
>Dept of Computer Science
>Univ of Maryland
>College Park, MD 20742    www.cs.umd.edu/hcil
>

>Nassi-Shneiderman on the Web
>http://www.rdrop.com/~cary/html/psd.html
>

>Here's a new piece of software to do NSD
>
>     http://href.com/SCODER:0
>
>I wish I could keep track of all the NSD work..
>the guy who was going to do a website did a small one and has a brief
>tutorial
>
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/4748/nsd_home.html
>

>Our original paper is at
>
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/4748/nsd.html
>
>There is a neat Java applet to make NSD on the web at
>http://www2.informatik.uni-e
>
>More powerful CASE Tools and development environment:
>
>MID                    INNOVATOR (WIN/UNIX)    (b.cramer@mid.de)
>I-LOGIX                RHAPSODY  (WIN/UNIX)
>SIP-SoftwareLösung     WINGESY   (WIN16)       http://www.sip.by.to/
>SPARXSYSTEMS           ENTERPRISEARCHITECT (WIN32)
>www.sparxsystems.com.au
>
>I hope this helps.
>
>Regards,
>
>R. Lobet

Re: What CASE tools and clients for Postgres?

От
lobet_romuald@my-deja.com (Romuald Lobet)
Дата:
[...]

Rick van Dijk
Дата:
hello Milorad,

Our tool, DeZign for databases can be used for data modeling. Dezign for
databases is a database development tool using an entity relationship diagram.
It visually supports the lay out of the entities and relations and
automatically generates SQL schemas for PostgreSQL databases. At the moment
only available as a win32 application. You can download an evaluation version
from http://www.datanamic.com

regards
Rick van Dijk
Datanamic

Milorad Poluga schreef:

> Hi, everybody!
> I am a programmer with the 12-years experience in COBOL and FoxPro under
> Unix environment.
> Postgres seems to me as a good choice for step toward web apps, ERP, CRM,
> e-business/commerce, etc. I have red many articles about Postgres but I am
> still not sure:
> 1. What is the recommended tool from design of business processes and data
> model, e.g. what CASE tool is the best for porting logical schema to
> Postgres (if any is directly applicable);
> 2. What is the best client tool with a good GUI for Unix/Linux, and what is
> for Windows/NT environment?
> Thanks in advance for any advice, web link or book title.
> Milorad Poluga

Re: What CASE tools and clients for Postgres?

От
lobet_romuald@my-deja.com (Romuald Lobet)
Дата:
Sam Staton <sam.staton@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Aren't Nassi-Schneiderman diagrams primarily for describing control
> flow, not data modelling?

Hi Sam,

That's right. Sorry, my know-how about Postgres is poor.

Note that INNOVATOR (MID) and RHAPSODY (I-LOGIX) are able to manage
about data modeling. Also, I think SW and DATA must be considered
in the same design.

Not sure INNOVATOR and RHAPSODY are compatible with Postgres, however.

Romuald.

Re: What CASE tools and clients for Postgres?

От
lobet_romuald@my-deja.com (Romuald Lobet)
Дата:
Sam Staton <sam.staton@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Aren't Nassi-Schneiderman diagrams primarily for describing control
> flow, not data modelling?

Hi Sam,

That's right. Sorry, my know-how about Postgres is poor.

Note that INNOVATOR (MID) and RHAPSODY (I-LOGIX) are able to manage
about data modeling. Also, I think SW and DATA must be considered
in the same design.

Not sure INNOVATOR and RHAPSODY are compatible with Postgres, however.

Romuald.

Re: What CASE tools and clients for Postgres?

От
Sam Staton
Дата:

Lobet) wrote:

>Hi Milorad,
>
>Searching for powerful CASE Tools ?
>
>I contacted two researchers about this question:
>Ike Nassi and Ben Schneiderman.
>
>They developped a new kind of diagrams. Here is their reply about CASE
>Tools related to NASSI-SCHNEIDERMAN DIAGRAMS.

>From:           Ike Nassi and Ben Scheiderman
>cc:
>Subject:    RE: Nassi-Shneiderman Diagrams
>

>I've been traveling... but here are a few recent web sites that may
>help...
>

>Ben Shneiderman
>Dept of Computer Science
>Univ of Maryland
>College Park, MD 20742    www.cs.umd.edu/hcil
>

>Nassi-Shneiderman on the Web
>http://www.rdrop.com/~cary/html/psd.html
>

>Here's a new piece of software to do NSD
>
>     http://href.com/SCODER:0
>
>I wish I could keep track of all the NSD work..
>the guy who was going to do a website did a small one and has a brief
>tutorial
>
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/4748/nsd_home.html
>

>Our original paper is at
>
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/4748/nsd.html
>
>There is a neat Java applet to make NSD on the web at
>http://www2.informatik.uni-e
>
>More powerful CASE Tools and development environment:
>
>MID                    INNOVATOR (WIN/UNIX)    (b.cramer@mid.de)
>I-LOGIX                RHAPSODY  (WIN/UNIX)
>SIP-SoftwareLösung     WINGESY   (WIN16)       http://www.sip.by.to/
>SPARXSYSTEMS           ENTERPRISEARCHITECT (WIN32)
>www.sparxsystems.com.au
>
>I hope this helps.
>
>Regards,
>
>R. Lobet

Re: What CASE tools and clients for Postgres?

От
lobet_romuald@my-deja.com (Romuald Lobet)
Дата: