Обсуждение: Would you do this?

Would you do this?

От
"Christian Marschalek"
Дата:
Hi!

I'm on a project that deals with a users database... Every user gets a
id assigned. If he cancles his account, the next user to register will
get his id. Would you do this? Or just let there be gaps between user
ids?

I guess just using a serial data type and don't care about gaps is the
fastest way...

Cya Chris

Re: Would you do this?

От
Paul Tomblin
Дата:
Quoting Christian Marschalek (cm@chello.at):
> I'm on a project that deals with a users database... Every user gets a
> id assigned. If he cancles his account, the next user to register will
> get his id. Would you do this? Or just let there be gaps between user
> ids?
>
> I guess just using a serial data type and don't care about gaps is the
> fastest way...

Depends what you're using the ids for, but I'd recycle them when you need
to recycle, not immediately.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
ALL programs are poems, it's just that not all programmers are poets.

Re: Would you do this?

От
Ludwig Meyerhoff
Дата:
Hallo!

> I'm on a project that deals with a users database... Every user gets a
> id assigned. If he cancles his account, the next user to register will
> get his id. Would you do this? Or just let there be gaps between user
> ids?
Well, AFAIK it is not a good idea to use IDs again, as by doing this You
have to be absolutely sure the application You run does not save some data
separately (login data, history and so on) ...
As You write the application to acces Your database it should not be of
that interest, but what if Your collegue (or the customer) decides to
write a new frontend?
But if You delete a row froma table, the following rows should move one
up, shouldn't they?

Saluti!

Ludwig