Re: Would you do this?

От Ludwig Meyerhoff
Тема Re: Would you do this?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hallo!

> I'm on a project that deals with a users database... Every user gets a
> id assigned. If he cancles his account, the next user to register will
> get his id. Would you do this? Or just let there be gaps between user
> ids?
Well, AFAIK it is not a good idea to use IDs again, as by doing this You
have to be absolutely sure the application You run does not save some data
separately (login data, history and so on) ...
As You write the application to acces Your database it should not be of
that interest, but what if Your collegue (or the customer) decides to
write a new frontend?
But if You delete a row froma table, the following rows should move one
up, shouldn't they?

Saluti!

Ludwig