Обсуждение: IBM to buy Informix

IBM to buy Informix

Дата:
IBM to buy Informix:

   http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5705678.html?tag=st.it.9500.lthd

Re: IBM to buy Informix

От
"Richard Huxton"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> said:

> IBM to buy Informix:

Scaring them out of the market, one at a time... ;-)

- Richard Huxton

Re: IBM to buy Informix

От
Martín Marqués
Дата:
On Mar 24 Abr 2001 18:04, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> IBM to buy Informix:
>
>    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5705678.html?tag=st.it.9500.lthd

The rumour was there about a month ago. The problem was that the people of
Informix didn't know how to sell there product, so Oracle and Micro$oft were
all over them.
Looks like the romour was right! :-)

--
El mejor sistema operativo es aquel que te da de comer.
Cuida tu dieta.

Re: IBM to buy Informix

От
Joseph Shraibman
Дата:
Martín Marqués wrote:

> On Mar 24 Abr 2001 18:04, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > IBM to buy Informix:
> >
> >    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5705678.html?tag=st.it.9500.lthd
>
> The rumour was there about a month ago. The problem was that the people of
> Informix didn't know how to sell there product, so Oracle and Micro$oft were
> all over them.
> Looks like the romour was right! :-)

They couldn't sell it because it was a crappy product.  I have no idea
why IBM would be willing to plunk down a bil for Informix.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net

Re: IBM to buy Informix

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> Mart�n Marqu�s wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 24 Abr 2001 18:04, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > IBM to buy Informix:
> > >
> > >    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5705678.html?tag=st.it.9500.lthd
> >
> > The rumour was there about a month ago. The problem was that the people of
> > Informix didn't know how to sell there product, so Oracle and Micro$oft were
> > all over them.
> > Looks like the romour was right! :-)
>
> They couldn't sell it because it was a crappy product.  I have no idea
> why IBM would be willing to plunk down a bil for Informix.

Doesn't matter much.  If IBM was marketing windows you probably wouldn't
see it on the shelves six months later.

Vince.

Re: IBM to buy Informix

От
Ryan Mahoney
Дата:
I think it the acquisition may be worth IBM's while just to gain Informix's
high profile clients.  IBM makes an unbelievable amount of money on
services.  I worked for a company who paid IBM a million dollars for some
early phase requirements gathering.  All that money, and they didn't even
number the pages of their documentation!

-r

At 07:28 PM 4/24/01 -0400, Joseph Shraibman wrote:

>Martín Marqués wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 24 Abr 2001 18:04, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > IBM to buy Informix:
> > >
> > >    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5705678.html?tag=st.it.9500.lthd
> >
> > The rumour was there about a month ago. The problem was that the people of
> > Informix didn't know how to sell there product, so Oracle and Micro$oft
> were
> > all over them.
> > Looks like the romour was right! :-)
>
>They couldn't sell it because it was a crappy product.  I have no idea
>why IBM would be willing to plunk down a bil for Informix.
>
>--
>Joseph Shraibman
>jks@selectacast.net
>Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

RE: IBM to buy Informix

От
"Michael Ansley (UK)"

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged and/or copyright
material of Intec Telecom Systems PLC (or its affiliated companies). If you are not an
intended or authorised recipient of this e-mail or have received it in error, please delete
it immediately and notify the sender by e-mail. In such a case, reading, reproducing,
printing or further dissemination of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Intec Telecom Systems PLC. does not represent or warrant that an attachment hereto is free
from computer viruses or other defects. The opinions expressed in this e-mail and any
attachments may be those of the author and are not necessarily those of Intec Telecom
Systems PLC.

Re: IBM to buy Informix

От
"Sergey E. Volkov"
Дата:
"Joseph Shraibman" <jks@selectacast.net> �������/�������� � ��������
���������: news:3AE60C23.7E40A44E@selectacast.net...
> Mart�n Marqu�s wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 24 Abr 2001 18:04, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > IBM to buy Informix:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5705678.html?tag=st.it.9500.lthd

> > The rumour was there about a month ago. The problem was that the people
of
> > Informix didn't know how to sell there product, so Oracle and Micro$oft
were
> > all over them.
> > Looks like the romour was right! :-)
>
> They couldn't sell it because it was a crappy product.  I have no idea
> why IBM would be willing to plunk down a bil for Informix.

I don't want to argue against  you, so don't flame please.

I'm using Informix DBMS since 1993 ( from Online 5.x and SE to IIF-2000 ),
I've also used ( developed application for Oracle and DB2 ), so I can to
compare them.
My opinion ( moreover my experience ) - Informix Servers smaller, smarter an
faster.

However business is the game where a really crappy products win frequently.
Take a look at M$ for example. Informix has ( had ) very nice products but
very bad marketing.

Good luck.

Sergey.

> --
> Joseph Shraibman
> jks@selectacast.net
> Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

Re: IBM to buy Informix

От
nospam@nospam.nospam (Steve Jorgensen)
Дата:
Probably to rip out some really good guts that it does have and put
them into DB2.