Обсуждение: gzip and bzip2 (distributing postgresql)

gzip and bzip2 (distributing postgresql)

От
Einar Karttunen
Дата:
Hello

I was wondering whether it would be possible to provide a bzip2 version of
the most popular versions in addition of the gzip version. In 7.1 the
sizes are 6.6mb vs 7.9mb (the source distribution) so this would also
lessen the network load on ftp sites. I'm not suggesting getting rid of
gzip, just providing an alternative, for those of us who have a slow
connection.

- Einar Karttunen

Re: gzip and bzip2 (distributing postgresql)

От
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Дата:
Einar Karttunen <ekarttun@cs.Helsinki.FI> writes:

> I was wondering whether it would be possible to provide a bzip2 version of
> the most popular versions in addition of the gzip version. In 7.1 the
> sizes are 6.6mb vs 7.9mb (the source distribution) so this would also
> lessen the network load on ftp sites. I'm not suggesting getting rid of
> gzip, just providing an alternative, for those of us who have a slow
> connection.

It would also save valuable space on our CDs, so I'm all for it.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: gzip and bzip2 (distributing postgresql)

От
Joseph Shraibman
Дата:
Einar Karttunen wrote:

> Hello
>
> I was wondering whether it would be possible to provide a bzip2 version of
> the most popular versions in addition of the gzip version. In 7.1 the
> sizes are 6.6mb vs 7.9mb (the source distribution) so this would also
> lessen the network load on ftp sites. I'm not suggesting getting rid of
> gzip, just providing an alternative, for those of us who have a slow
> connection.

I'd like to chime in and say I vote for this.  I had to download
postgres to a machine with a fast connection and gunzip and bzip2 it to
get it over this slow modem link I'm using since our northpoint went
out.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net