Re: gzip and bzip2 (distributing postgresql)

От Joseph Shraibman
Тема Re: gzip and bzip2 (distributing postgresql)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Einar Karttunen wrote:

> Hello
>
> I was wondering whether it would be possible to provide a bzip2 version of
> the most popular versions in addition of the gzip version. In 7.1 the
> sizes are 6.6mb vs 7.9mb (the source distribution) so this would also
> lessen the network load on ftp sites. I'm not suggesting getting rid of
> gzip, just providing an alternative, for those of us who have a slow
> connection.

I'd like to chime in and say I vote for this.  I had to download
postgres to a machine with a fast connection and gunzip and bzip2 it to
get it over this slow modem link I'm using since our northpoint went
out.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net