Обсуждение: Bad book review

Bad book review

Дата:
I am not sure how many people have looked at my book on Amazon.com, but
I have received my first negative book review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201703319/o/qid%3D976592762/sr%3D8-1/ref%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fb%5F1%5F3/104-0116316-8891907

I guess everyone isn't going to like my book.  :-)

Re: Bad book review

От
"Matt Friedman"
Дата:
I have it and have found it very useful.

Matt Friedman
Spry New Media

> I am not sure how many people have looked at my book on Amazon.com, but
> I have received my first negative book review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201703319/o/qid%3D976592762/sr%3D8-1
/ref%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fb%5F1%5F3/104-0116316-8891907

> I guess everyone isn't going to like my book.  :-)

Re: Re: Bad book review

От
"Mikhail V. Majorov"
Дата:
Matt Friedman wrote:

> I have it and have found it very useful.

I think charachter about Functions and Triggers too small.
Server-side functions are very impotant for check input information and
integrity of database.

Best regards,
Mik

Re: Bad book review

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am not sure how many people have looked at my book on Amazon.com, but
> I have received my first negative book review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201703319/o/qid%3D976592762/sr%3D8-1/ref%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fb%5F1%5F3/104-0116316-8891907

> I guess everyone isn't going to like my book.  :-)

    Give yourself an amusement and lookup this:

        http://www.petdance.com/andy/resume/

    After   15   years  of  *professional*  ColdFusion  and  Perl
    development, 7 years of OO-Perl (interfacing  MySQL)  plus  a
    couple of other high-level skills, he got the enlightment and
    learns VB 6.

    On Word: If your only tool is MSWord, everything looks like a
    .doc :-)

Jan

Re: Bad book review

От
"mike"
Дата:
I got the book when it was first made availiable, and its been a damn good
reference, though I do admit it doesn't go into using Large Objects well
enough. as for installation, the INSTALL file pretty much explains what
needs to be done. All in all its one of my most frequently used references.
=)

Mike

> I am not sure how many people have looked at my book on Amazon.com, but
> I have received my first negative book review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201703319/o/qid%3D976592762/sr%3D8-1
/ref%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fb%5F1%5F3/104-0116316-8891907

> I guess everyone isn't going to like my book.  :-)

Re: Re: Bad book review

От
"Matt Friedman"
Дата:
the book is called "Introduction and Concepts" so I don't think it's
misrepresenting itself as a detailed explaination of everything. I really
needed a good getting started type of book and it's done the trick so far.

Combined with the docs, I've learned a great amount.

But yes, find me a book with excellent examples of detailed functions and
triggers plus other advanced topics and I'd buy that too.

Matt Friedman

> > I have it and have found it very useful.
>
> I think charachter about Functions and Triggers too small.
> Server-side functions are very impotant for check input information and
> integrity of database.
>
> Best regards,
> Mik

Re: Re: Bad book review

Дата:
[ Charset KOI8-R unsupported, converting... ]
> Matt Friedman wrote:
> >
> > I have it and have found it very useful.
>
> I think charachter about Functions and Triggers too small.
> Server-side functions are very impotant for check input information and
> integrity of database.

Yes, because the book is "Introduction and Concepts" I had to decide how
much detail people _should_ know, and how much is too much for someone
starting out with PostgreSQL.

Beginning people are very bad at understanding what is important, and
what can wait until they have been using it for a while.

Re: Bad book review

От
Fred Yankowski
Дата:
It's a useful reference, but I wish it included the formatting codes
for to_char() and the like.  The equivalent section in the "MySQL &
mSQL" book by Yarger et. al does include such codes and I find that
very helpful.  [nudge, nudge]

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370

Re: Bad book review

Дата:
> It's a useful reference, but I wish it included the formatting codes
> for to_char() and the like.  The equivalent section in the "MySQL &
> mSQL" book by Yarger et. al does include such codes and I find that
> very helpful.  [nudge, nudge]

Yes, that would be nice.  Are those in the main docs?  If not? [nudge,
nudge]  (I think I see them in there, but I am not sure.)

Re: Bad book review

От
Fred Yankowski
Дата:
http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/functions-formatting.htm

It's one of my bookmarks since it's a bit tricky to find from the
table of contents.

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 10:12:06AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > It's a useful reference, but I wish it included the formatting codes
> > for to_char() and the like.  The equivalent section in the "MySQL &
> > mSQL" book by Yarger et. al does include such codes and I find that
> > very helpful.  [nudge, nudge]
>
> Yes, that would be nice.  Are those in the main docs?  If not? [nudge,
> nudge]  (I think I see them in there, but I am not sure.)

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370
OntoSys, Inc             38W242 Deerpath Rd, Batavia, IL 60510, USA

Re: Bad book review

От
Alfonso Peniche
Дата:
Actually, I wouldn't worry to much about it. It's true there might be some things that could be improved (there always
is),but
I'm not sure the guy who wrote it is even sure of what he read (if he did it fully, which I doubt, since he couldn't
find
anywhere about OID's, and I think the rest of us who have really read and used the book know where it is)

I agree it's one of the most used books for Postgres. I know I do. :-)

Cheers.

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am not sure how many people have looked at my book on Amazon.com, but
> I have received my first negative book review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201703319/o/qid%3D976592762/sr%3D8-1/ref%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fb%5F1%5F3/104-0116316-8891907

> I guess everyone isn't going to like my book.  :-)

Re: Re: Bad book review

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
In general the main point I would take serious is about the lack of info on
the install and setup.

If the book is geared to non-admins that are going to be using it, but
someone else is setting up, then there is not much need for it.  But if it
is geared to people that will set it up and use it, then the person is going
to be put out.

I agree, online docs are very useful and have all the info BUT the people
that are buying the hard copies want a reference that is not online
dependant.  I have multitudes of books ranging from BIND to Postgres to VB
to Apache.

All the info in them can be found online, but I just hate reading on the
comp monitor if I can avoid it.  I buy the books for the convienece factor
(plus examples).

I will agree though.  Buying a book and being told to look up a topic online
does seem to tell you to piss off.  It is a bit different if it goes into
the topic enough to get you started and then says for advance details, here
is further reading.

Actually, I forgot which book I have that does it, but at the end of each
chapter it has a list of places for further reading on the topics in the
chapter.  The chapter covers most of the info, but it points you to a place
to check to see if any details were left out.

In summation, I think the book is good.  The book is basically "using SQL on
Postgresql".  Nothing wrong with that.  Several introductory Oracle books
are the same way.

What the guy writing the commentary was looking for was a "System
Admin/Programmer Guide to Postgresql".

There ya go.  Make a boxed set.
Book 1: Postgresql and SQL
Book 2: System Admin's guide
Book 3: Programmer's guide.

They would all have overlapping info, but each would go into deep detail of
its appropriate areas.  Arguably the programmer's guide would be the hardest
nd would involve several authors due to multiple platform and language
issues.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> the book is called "Introduction and Concepts" so I don't think it's
> misrepresenting itself as a detailed explaination of everything. I really
> needed a good getting started type of book and it's done the trick so far.
>
> Combined with the docs, I've learned a great amount.
>
> But yes, find me a book with excellent examples of detailed functions and
> triggers plus other advanced topics and I'd buy that too.
>
> Matt Friedman

Re: Bad book review

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am not sure how many people have looked at my book on Amazon.com, but
> I have received my first negative book review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201703319/o/qid%3D976592762/sr%3D8-1/ref%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fb%5F1%5F3/104-0116316-8891907

> I guess everyone isn't going to like my book.  :-)

Did you read any of his other reviews?  He doesn't strike me as a happy
person.   Someone musta moved his cheese.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

DSN-less connection to Postgres-database

От
"Kristoffer Hoffe Bergqvist"

 Hi all!

I'd like to set up a DNS-less connection from ASP to a PostgreSQL-server. What I'm looking for is a connectionstring looking something like this:

db.Open("driver=PostgreSQL};host=www.host.com:666;database=name;UID=me;Password=;pass")

But the one above (obviously, since I'm writing this mail) doesn't work. Please if anyone know how to solve this, drop a line.

 Thanks in advance!

  Cheers

   /Hoffe

Re: Bad book review

От
Tony Grant
Дата:
On 14 Feb 2001 11:57:47 -0500, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I am not sure how many people have looked at my book on Amazon.com, but
> > I have received my first negative book review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201703319/o/qid%3D976592762/sr%3D8-1/ref%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fb%5F1%5F3/104-0116316-8891907

> > I guess everyone isn't going to like my book.  :-)
>
> Did you read any of his other reviews?  He doesn't strike me as a happy
> person.   Someone musta moved his cheese.

His data base server crashed???

Come on now Bruce! We all get a bad review from time to time. Don't lose
any sleep.

Your next book will be perfect - "Dreamweaver Ultradev application
building with Postgresql"

=:-`

Cheers
Tony Grant