Re: Re: Bad book review

От Adam Lang
Тема Re: Re: Bad book review
Дата
Список pgsql-general
In general the main point I would take serious is about the lack of info on
the install and setup.

If the book is geared to non-admins that are going to be using it, but
someone else is setting up, then there is not much need for it.  But if it
is geared to people that will set it up and use it, then the person is going
to be put out.

I agree, online docs are very useful and have all the info BUT the people
that are buying the hard copies want a reference that is not online
dependant.  I have multitudes of books ranging from BIND to Postgres to VB
to Apache.

All the info in them can be found online, but I just hate reading on the
comp monitor if I can avoid it.  I buy the books for the convienece factor
(plus examples).

I will agree though.  Buying a book and being told to look up a topic online
does seem to tell you to piss off.  It is a bit different if it goes into
the topic enough to get you started and then says for advance details, here
is further reading.

Actually, I forgot which book I have that does it, but at the end of each
chapter it has a list of places for further reading on the topics in the
chapter.  The chapter covers most of the info, but it points you to a place
to check to see if any details were left out.

In summation, I think the book is good.  The book is basically "using SQL on
Postgresql".  Nothing wrong with that.  Several introductory Oracle books
are the same way.

What the guy writing the commentary was looking for was a "System
Admin/Programmer Guide to Postgresql".

There ya go.  Make a boxed set.
Book 1: Postgresql and SQL
Book 2: System Admin's guide
Book 3: Programmer's guide.

They would all have overlapping info, but each would go into deep detail of
its appropriate areas.  Arguably the programmer's guide would be the hardest
nd would involve several authors due to multiple platform and language
issues.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company