Обсуждение: Write to postgreSQL via ODBC?

Write to postgreSQL via ODBC?

От
Rudolf Potucek
Дата:
I've got the postgres ODBC driver installed and can connect to it from
MS Excel 97. However it seems I can only execute queries (read data) but
not save data. Is that a limitation of Excel or of the ODBC approach?

Rudolf

Re: Write to postgreSQL via ODBC?

От
Andrew Gould
Дата:
Neither, I would think.  The most probable cause is
that your driver is configured for read only access.

Open the ODBC Administration application. (I think
it's at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ODBCAD32.EXE).  Select your
PostgreSQL driver and click on the configure button.

A window will popup with various configuration
options.  Under Options(Advanced), there should be a
button labelled "DataSource".  Click on the DataSource
button and look for a check box labelled "ReadOnly".
Make sure that "ReadOnly" is NOT checked.

Perform these steps for all PostgreSQL connections
that you have created.

I hope this helps,

Andrew Gould

--- Rudolf Potucek <potucek@acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca>
wrote:
> I've got the postgres ODBC driver installed and can
> connect to it from
> MS Excel 97. However it seems I can only execute
> queries (read data) but
> not save data. Is that a limitation of Excel or of
> the ODBC approach?
>
> Rudolf

Re: Write to postgreSQL via ODBC?

От
Craig Orsinger

Rudolf Potucek wrote:

> I've got the postgres ODBC driver installed and can connect to it from
> MS Excel 97. However it seems I can only execute queries (read data) but
> not save data. Is that a limitation of Excel or of the ODBC approach?

    When you set up your DSN on the Windows box, did you uncheck
the box in Advanced Options named "ReadOnly (Default)" ? For some
reason, the PostgreSQL ODBC driver defaults to only being able to do
queries.

    There's some useful information about all this in the
PostgreSQL FAQ at:

Re: Write to postgreSQL via ODBC?

От
Rudolf Potucek
Дата:
In comp.databases.ms-sqlserver Craig Orsinger <cjorsinger@earthlink_net.invalid> wrote:

: Rudolf Potucek wrote:
:>
:> I've got the postgres ODBC driver installed and can connect to it from
:> MS Excel 97. However it seems I can only execute queries (read data) but
:> not save data. Is that a limitation of Excel or of the ODBC approach?

:     When you set up your DSN on the Windows box, did you uncheck
: the box in Advanced Options named "ReadOnly (Default)" ? For some
: reason, the PostgreSQL ODBC driver defaults to only being able to do
: queries.

I did. I subsequently tried this with Access and I can actually create
new tables that way ... now I just have to figure out how to do an UPDATE
instead ...

Thx,

  Rudolf

Re: Re: Write to postgreSQL via ODBC?

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Another thing is that sometimes after you reconfigure an ODBC driver, you
need to relink your tables.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company