Обсуждение: Solaris 8 compilation errors

Solaris 8 compilation errors

От
"J.Goodleaf"
Дата:
Hello,

Am new to list (and Solaris for that matter). I have tried a couple of times
to compile postgres 7.0.3 under solaris 8 and it fails consistently,
reporting an error 2 in string_info.c (I can supply the full text of the
build if it's helpful.)
Have tried a couple of different configurations all have --with-tcl in
common. Configure always completes correctly...
Am using gmake 3.79.1 and gcc 2.95.

I don't see Solaris 8 on the list of supported platforms, but Solaris 7 is
there, so I had hoped 8 would work pretty much the same. Has anyone else run
into this problem?
 -john

Re: Solaris 8 compilation errors

От
Alex Guryanow
Дата:
JG> I don't see Solaris 8 on the list of supported platforms,

I have compiled postgres 7.0.3 on SPARC/Solrais 8. But it was compiled w/o tcl support. There is no
much time since installation, but yet all works fine.

JG> but Solaris 7 is
JG> there, so I had hoped 8 would work pretty much the same. Has anyone else run
JG> into this problem?
JG>  -john

Re: Solaris 8 compilation errors

От
"Martin A. Marques"
Дата:
El Lun 05 Feb 2001 02:30, Alex Guryanow escribió:
> JG> I don't see Solaris 8 on the list of supported platforms,
>
> I have compiled postgres 7.0.3 on SPARC/Solrais 8. But it was compiled w/o
> tcl support. There is no much time since installation, but yet all works
> fine.

I have installed it on Solaris 7 and 8 with tcl (pgaccess works great!!).

Send the output of the error.

Saludos... :-)

--
System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.

Re: Solaris 8 compilation errors _OUTPUT

От
"J.Goodleaf"
Дата:
Thanks for your help.
I've included the output as an attachment. Please let me know what you make
of it.
 -John

Martin A. Marques writes:

> El Lun 05 Feb 2001 02:30, Alex Guryanow escribió:
>> JG> I don't see Solaris 8 on the list of supported platforms,
>>
>> I have compiled postgres 7.0.3 on SPARC/Solrais 8. But it was compiled w/o
>> tcl support. There is no much time since installation, but yet all works
>> fine.
>
> I have installed it on Solaris 7 and 8 with tcl (pgaccess works great!!).
>
> Send the output of the error.
>
> Saludos... :-)
>
> --
> System Administration: It's a dirty job,
> but someone told I had to do it.
> Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar
> Santa Fe - Argentina        http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
> Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar

Re: Re: Solaris 8 compilation errors _OUTPUT

Дата:
"J.Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net> writes:
> stringinfo.c: In function `appendStringInfo':
> stringinfo.c:104: `va_list' undeclared (first use in this function)
> stringinfo.c:104: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> stringinfo.c:104: for each function it appears in.)
> stringinfo.c:104: parse error before `args'
> stringinfo.c:121: warning: implicit declaration of function `va_start'
> stringinfo.c:121: `args' undeclared (first use in this function)
> stringinfo.c:124: warning: implicit declaration of function `va_end'

In src/include/c.h, try including <stddef.h> and <stdarg.h>
unconditionally --- that is, remove #ifdef STDC_HEADERS / #endif
near line 53.  This is what we are doing in the 7.1 sources...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Solaris 8 compilation errors _OUTPUT

От
"J.Goodleaf"
Дата:
Tom,
This appears to have done it. Everything compiled properly; postgres
announced it was ready for install. (One minor hitch with "ar" not being in
my PATH... I have to say: Solaris is vastly more of a PITA than FreeBSD, the
only *NIX with which I have any familiarity. No ports tree in Sol8...)

Thx,
John
Tom Lane writes:

> "J.Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net> writes:
>> stringinfo.c: In function `appendStringInfo':
>> stringinfo.c:104: `va_list' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> stringinfo.c:104: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>> stringinfo.c:104: for each function it appears in.)
>> stringinfo.c:104: parse error before `args'
>> stringinfo.c:121: warning: implicit declaration of function `va_start'
>> stringinfo.c:121: `args' undeclared (first use in this function)
>> stringinfo.c:124: warning: implicit declaration of function `va_end'
>
> In src/include/c.h, try including <stddef.h> and <stdarg.h>
> unconditionally --- that is, remove #ifdef STDC_HEADERS / #endif
> near line 53.  This is what we are doing in the 7.1 sources...
>
>             regards, tom lane

RE: Solaris 8 compilation errors _OUTPUT

От
"George Johnson"
Дата:
Hi John,

It can't find one of the header files it needs to compile that file.  I
looked around and cannot find the header containing the definition of
va_args anywhere -- these developers will know.

Did you download gcc for Solaris 8 as a binary or package?
If so,
Bad idea -- and here's why:  I had always downloaded the Solaris 7 binary
for gcc.  The problem is the libraries "they" used to make that version of
gcc most likely don't match your machine at all.  What you gotta do is:

1.  download a gcc for sol 8.
2.  download the sources for gcc (yea they're huge)
3.  compile gcc using the binary/package you downloaded.
4.  install the new freshly compiled version

Sure as sh*ttin', everything works after that (compiler wise).  Also for
some reason, I have trouble compiling things a lot of the time if I'm logged
in as root, but not as a reg user (with gcc).  So usually I compile as a
regular user, then run the gmake install as root.

OH -- make sure you are using gmake instead of distributed make.  That can
make a huge difference.

Hope this helps -- I'll be compiling 7.1 for solaris 8 thursday on a new box
(with gcc and sun c both) so I could help out with that if u can wait and
are interested in 7.1

L8r,
George Johnson