Обсуждение: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
When I run VACUUM ANALYZE it fails and all the backend connections are
closed. Has anyone else run into this problem?

--DC--

Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

Дата:
"Dave Cramer" <Dave@micro-automation.net> writes:
> When I run VACUUM ANALYZE it fails and all the backend connections are
> closed. Has anyone else run into this problem?

There should be a core dump file from the crashed backend in your
database subdirectory --- can you provide a backtrace from it?

            regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Tom,

No core dump but here is the message from vacuum verbose analyze;

NOTICE:  --Relation pg_rewrite--
        before or while processing the request.

--DC--
> > When I run VACUUM ANALYZE it fails and all the backend connections are
> > closed. Has anyone else run into this problem?
>
> There should be a core dump file from the crashed backend in your
> database subdirectory --- can you provide a backtrace from it?
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

Дата:
"Dave Cramer" <Dave@micro-automation.net> writes:
> No core dump but here is the message from vacuum verbose analyze;

> NOTICE:  --Relation pg_rewrite--
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.

Can't tell much from that, except that the backend crashed, which
*should* leave a core dump.

On some platforms (eg, most Linux distros), processes started from
system boot scripts are by default started under "ulimit -c 0", which
prevents core dumps.  To get more information about what's happening,
I recommend restarting the postmaster with "ulimit -c unlimited" so that
crashed backends will leave core files.  While you're at it, make sure
you are starting the postmaster without -S, and redirect its stdout and
stderr into some convenient logfile.  The postmaster log might also
contain useful info about what's going wrong...

            regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Ok, I tried setting ulimit to unlimited inside the script. This didn't help,
still no core dump
I did get logging working though:

/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 20146 exited with status 139
Server process (pid 20146) exited with status 139 at Tue Jan 23 22:32:26
2001
Terminating any active server processes...
Server processes were terminated at Tue Jan 23 22:32:26 2001
Reinitializing shared memory and semaphores
010123.22:32:26.086 [19777] shmem_exit(0)

--DC--
> > No core dump but here is the message from vacuum verbose analyze;
>
> > NOTICE:  --Relation pg_rewrite--
> > pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
>
> Can't tell much from that, except that the backend crashed, which
> *should* leave a core dump.
>
> On some platforms (eg, most Linux distros), processes started from
> system boot scripts are by default started under "ulimit -c 0", which
> prevents core dumps.  To get more information about what's happening,
> I recommend restarting the postmaster with "ulimit -c unlimited" so that
> crashed backends will leave core files.  While you're at it, make sure
> you are starting the postmaster without -S, and redirect its stdout and
> stderr into some convenient logfile.  The postmaster log might also
> contain useful info about what's going wrong...
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

Дата:
"Dave Cramer" <Dave@micro-automation.net> writes:
> Ok, I tried setting ulimit to unlimited inside the script. This didn't help,
> still no core dump
> I did get logging working though:

> /usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 20146 exited with status 139
> Server process (pid 20146) exited with status 139 at Tue Jan 23 22:32:26
> 2001

Well, that is for *sure* a backend crashing --- with signal 11, which
is SIGSEGV on most Unixen.  There should be a coredump.  Poke around in
your OS documentation and see if you can figure out what's preventing
the core file from being written.

(BTW, you are looking in the right place no? $PGDATA/base/yourdbname/core)

            regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

От
"Rob Arnold"
Дата:
I had a machine with a bad CPU that did that, but I don't know that this is
your case.

Perhaps a bad index?

Can you determine if only one table is the cause (i.e. Vacuum Analyze

Anything in the logs?

--rob