Обсуждение: OpenBSD startup - logfile?

OpenBSD startup - logfile?

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
I've got the following line in /etc/rc.local on my OpenBSD 2.6 system:

/usr/local/bin/pgwrap -o /var/pgsql/log postmaster -i -S -o -F >>
/var/pgsql/postmaster.log

Postgres starts ok, and /var/pgsql/postmaster.log gets created, but it
stays at size=0.

Where did I go wrong?

Frank

Re: OpenBSD startup - logfile?

Дата:
Frank Bax <fbax@execulink.com> writes:
> I've got the following line in /etc/rc.local on my OpenBSD 2.6 system:
> /usr/local/bin/pgwrap -o /var/pgsql/log postmaster -i -S -o -F >>
> /var/pgsql/postmaster.log

> Postgres starts ok, and /var/pgsql/postmaster.log gets created, but it
> stays at size=0.

Remove -S switch.

Might be a good idea to redirect postmaster's stderr into the logfile,
as well as stdout.

            regards, tom lane

Re: OpenBSD startup - logfile?

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
Thanks.  When I remove -S then the command never completes?

How do I redirect stderr?

At 11:49 AM 10/17/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Frank Bax <fbax@execulink.com> writes:
>> I've got the following line in /etc/rc.local on my OpenBSD 2.6 system:
>> /usr/local/bin/pgwrap -o /var/pgsql/log postmaster -i -S -o -F >>
>> /var/pgsql/postmaster.log
>
>> Postgres starts ok, and /var/pgsql/postmaster.log gets created, but it
>> stays at size=0.
>
>Remove -S switch.
>
>Might be a good idea to redirect postmaster's stderr into the logfile,
>as well as stdout.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Re: OpenBSD startup - logfile?

Дата:
Frank Bax <fbax@execulink.com> writes:
> Thanks.  When I remove -S then the command never completes?

Oh, OK.  It wasn't clear what context you were starting the postmaster
in.  Evidently it's from a script that has other things to do.  You
need to put an ampersand "&" at the end of the command line to fork off
a separate process for the postmaster.  I had mistakenly assumed your
"pgwrap" thingy was doing something like that.

> How do I redirect stderr?

Depends what shell you're using, but on sh-derived shells adding
    2>&1
after the >>file phrase will put stderr into the same file as stdout.

            regards, tom lane

Re: OpenBSD startup - logfile?

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
Thanks!  2>&1  was already used in same script.  pgwrap is an OpenBSD thing
that sets pg environment for root user (I know a *little* bit about my
system).

Frank

At 12:49 PM 10/17/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Frank Bax <fbax@execulink.com> writes:
>> Thanks.  When I remove -S then the command never completes?
>
>Oh, OK.  It wasn't clear what context you were starting the postmaster
>in.  Evidently it's from a script that has other things to do.  You
>need to put an ampersand "&" at the end of the command line to fork off
>a separate process for the postmaster.  I had mistakenly assumed your
>"pgwrap" thingy was doing something like that.
>
>> How do I redirect stderr?
>
>Depends what shell you're using, but on sh-derived shells adding
>    2>&1
>after the >>file phrase will put stderr into the same file as stdout.
>
>            regards, tom lane

OpenBSD startup - no logfile?

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
Here's my pgsql startup command (OpenBSD 2.6):

/usr/local/bin/pgwrap -o /var/pgsql/log postmaster -i -o -F >>
/var/pgsql/postmaster.log 2>&1 &

When I run my PHP routine, I get this:

Warning: PostgresSQL query failed: pqReadData() -- backend closed the
channel unexpectedly. This probably means the backend terminated
abnormally before or while processing the request. in db_pgsql.inc on
line 52
Database error: Invalid SQL: INSERT INTO gedcom_grp
(grpkey1,grpseq,grpkey2) VALUES('I0000016','1','F0000067')
PostgreSQL Error: 1 (pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel
unexpectedly. This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
before or while processing the request. )
Session halted.

The program is trying to do an initial load of three tables.  It starts by
deleting all rows in these three tables, then manages to add 13 rows to
gedcom_grp before the above error.

But both log files mentioned in the startup command are empty?

Frank

Re: OpenBSD startup - no logfile?

От
Frank Bax
Дата:
Thanks!  vacuum did get rid of those messages.  The last time
import/rebuild worked it took over 2hrs, now it's down to 30min!

But the original problem ...

I'm finally starting to get some log entries, but they are in
/var/pgsql/log instead of /var/pgsql/postmaster.log - any ideas?  probably
an OpenBSd thing with pgwrap - I'll try an OpenBSD newsgroup.

Frank