Обсуждение: int8 vs text in odbc link

int8 vs text in odbc link

От
Andrew Gould
Дата:
Hi all!

I'm accessing PostgreSQL 7.0.2 from MS Access 97 via
the ODBC driver.  I can successfully link and query
tables.  Unfortunately, all of the columns of the data
type int8 are interpreted as text in MS Access 97 when
you look at the design view of the table. Dates and
float8 seem to be ok.

1.  Has anyone else encountered this?
2.  Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks,

Andrew

http://im.yahoo.com/

Re: int8 vs text in odbc link

От
"Len Morgan"
Дата:
>Hi all!
>
>I'm accessing PostgreSQL 7.0.2 from MS Access 97 via
>the ODBC driver.  I can successfully link and query
>tables.  Unfortunately, all of the columns of the data
>type int8 are interpreted as text in MS Access 97 when
>you look at the design view of the table. Dates and
>float8 seem to be ok.
>
>1.  Has anyone else encountered this?
>2.  Does anyone know of a solution?

In a similar vein....Does anyone know how to make MSAccess export a table to
Postgresql with fixed char length fields?  I always get VARCHARs and for
some reason I can't do a join between a table that has a varchar and fixed
char.  The system runs until it eventually runs out of memory.  This means
that I have to export the table as is to Postgres, do a pg_dump on the
table, modify the CREATE TABLE definition to be CHAR(9), drop the table,
then re-import it with psql.  If I could get MSAccess to put out a fixed
length field (which is how I've defined the table) I could avoid all of
this.

Len Morgan

Re: int8 vs text in odbc link

Дата:
Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com> writes:
> Unfortunately, all of the columns of the data
> type int8 are interpreted as text in MS Access 97 when
> you look at the design view of the table.

Offhand it looks like our ODBC driver will report the type of an int8
field as "SQL_BIGINT" (-5), which may or may not be a standard ODBC
type code --- and even if it is, Access might not know it.  Anybody
know?

            regards, tom lane

Re: int8 vs text in odbc link

От
"Richard Huxton"
> > Unfortunately, all of the columns of the data
> > type int8 are interpreted as text in MS Access 97 when
> > you look at the design view of the table.
>
> Offhand it looks like our ODBC driver will report the type of an int8
> field as "SQL_BIGINT" (-5), which may or may not be a standard ODBC
> type code --- and even if it is, Access might not know it.  Anybody
> know?

Access 97 has Integer as 16-bit and Long Integer as 32-bit - those are the
only options available AFAICT.

- Richard Huxton