Обсуждение: New user question -- alternate programmer interfaces?

New user question -- alternate programmer interfaces?

От
"Carl Alexander"
Дата:
To make a long story short, I've recently been learning PostgreSQL
(and SQL in general) in a sort of trial-by-fire fashion.  I copied
the .pdf of Bruce Momjian's book onto my iBook and hacked out some
code while I was traveling on business for a couple of weeks,
largely without benefit of connectivity to a host where I could
test things.  Now I have about 1000 lines of doubtless very buggy
code --- and I don't see any way to feed it to PostgreSQL for
parsing other than to copy and paste into psql.  (Aside from the
obvious frustrations, psql seems to lock up whenever I paste more
than about 15 lines of code into it.)

Obviously I'm missing something.  I assume there's a emacs mode for
interacting with PostgreSQL from within emacs?  Or at least some
way to feed PostgreSQL a text file of code and have it spit back
debugging info?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Re: New user question -- alternate programmer interfaces?

От
"Mitch Vincent"
Дата:
You could put it in a file and feed it to psql like

psql <db-name> < codefile.sql

-Mitch

> To make a long story short, I've recently been learning PostgreSQL
> (and SQL in general) in a sort of trial-by-fire fashion.  I copied
> the .pdf of Bruce Momjian's book onto my iBook and hacked out some
> code while I was traveling on business for a couple of weeks,
> largely without benefit of connectivity to a host where I could
> test things.  Now I have about 1000 lines of doubtless very buggy
> code --- and I don't see any way to feed it to PostgreSQL for
> parsing other than to copy and paste into psql.  (Aside from the
> obvious frustrations, psql seems to lock up whenever I paste more
> than about 15 lines of code into it.)
>
> Obviously I'm missing something.  I assume there's a emacs mode for
> interacting with PostgreSQL from within emacs?  Or at least some
> way to feed PostgreSQL a text file of code and have it spit back
> debugging info?
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Re: New user question -- alternate programmer interfaces?

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 09:39:53AM -0700, Mitch Vincent wrote:
> You could put it in a file and feed it to psql like
>
> psql <db-name> < codefile.sql

I find a slight variation on this most userful (this is for bash: season
redirects for your flavor of shell):

psql -e <db-name> <codefile.sql 2>&1 | less

then search in less for the string ERROR

Or, if you want to do code fragments, tale a look at the \i command in
psql. (hit \? in psql to get a list of all the slash commands)

Ross

Re: New user question -- alternate programmer interfaces?

От
Martin Christensen
Дата:
Carl> I assume there's a emacs mode for interacting with PostgreSQL
Carl> from within emacs?

M-x sql-postgres, provided you've the right stuff installed. To my
best of memory the proper package is available from the GNU ftp
server, if you haven't already got it. But just for loading scripts I
find psql's \i [filename] to be much more painless, especially since
psql generally is nicer to work with in daily use than the equivalent
Emacs mode. Each, of course, have their benefits.

Martin

--
GPG public key: http://home1.stofanet.dk/factotum/gpgkey.txt