Обсуждение: boolean isn't boolean?

boolean isn't boolean?

От
Marc Britten
Дата:
why does a boolean value return a t or an f?

this goes against everything i know, i'm doing a php app(first time php
first time postgres, but i have extensive knowledge of oracle, sybase, and
more than a bit of MS SQL 6.5 n 7, plus extensive knowledge of c/c++ and
java and perl and elisp)

and  i have to check for $myarray[3] == 't' if i want to check for a true
value? why?

i just need to know that there was some actual logic behind this.

thanks,

marc britten

Re: boolean isn't boolean?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc Britten writes:

> why does a boolean value return a t or an f?

The language-lawyer version:

ISO/IEC 9075-5:1999 ("SQL99") 17.2 GR6

"If [the result of the query expression] is not empty, then [it] is
returned. The method of returning [it] is implementation-defined."

Then that's how this implementation defines it. :-)

> and  i have to check for $myarray[3] == 't' if i want to check for a true
> value? why?

The native libpq C API returns all data as text. It is up to the interface
that is build on libpq to do something useful with the data. For example,
embedded SQL will map query data to appropriate C data types, although I'm
not sure what it would do with boolean in particular. Similar things go
for ODBC and JDBC. So the fact is that you need to take it up with the PHP
(I guess?) guys to translate boolean values to defined/undefined or
whatever they prefer to use. But since they'd probably not break
compatibility like that you should probably provide your own wrapper
class/function/etc.

RE: boolean isn't boolean?

От
Marc Britten
Дата:
normaly i wouldn't be this picky but......

language-lawyer version.. you used the wrong version of the lang, the docs
say it complies to SQL3, which has completely different wording than SQL99

> why does a boolean value return a t or an f?

The language-lawyer version:

ISO/IEC 9075-5:1999 ("SQL99") 17.2 GR6

"If [the result of the query expression] is not empty, then [it] is
returned. The method of returning [it] is implementation-defined."

Then that's how this implementation defines it. :-)

Re: boolean isn't boolean?

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> language-lawyer version.. you used the wrong version of the lang, the
> docs say it complies to SQL3, which has completely different wording
> than SQL99

Do you have a reference for an SQL99 document? Preferably on-line or in
a form similar to what we've found for SQL3-1999?

                     - Thomas

Re: boolean isn't boolean?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> Do you have a reference for an SQL99 document? Preferably on-line or in
> a form similar to what we've found for SQL3-1999?

ftp://jerry.ece.umassd.edu/isowg3/x3h2/Standards/ansi-iso-9075-[12345]-1999.txt

This seems to be the real copyrighted deal, so get yours while it's there.

RE: boolean isn't boolean?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc Britten writes:

> language-lawyer version.. you used the wrong version of the lang, the docs
> say it complies to SQL3, which has completely different wording than SQL99

SQL3 isn't a standard, the term used to be employed to mean "the potential
successor to ISO/IEC 9075:1992", which turned out to be ISO/IEC 9075:1999,
which is what I quoted.

Re: boolean isn't boolean?

Дата:
> Thomas Lockhart writes:
>
> > Do you have a reference for an SQL99 document? Preferably on-line or in
> > a form similar to what we've found for SQL3-1999?
>
> ftp://jerry.ece.umassd.edu/isowg3/x3h2/Standards/ansi-iso-9075-[12345]-1999.txt
>
> This seems to be the real copyrighted deal, so get yours while it's there.

Seems we need an ANSI SQL napster server.  :-)

Re: boolean isn't boolean?

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 12:29:14PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
> > Thomas Lockhart writes:
> >
> > > Do you have a reference for an SQL99 document? Preferably on-line or in
> > > a form similar to what we've found for SQL3-1999?
> >
> > ftp://jerry.ece.umassd.edu/isowg3/x3h2/Standards/ansi-iso-9075-[12345]-1999.txt
> >
> > This seems to be the real copyrighted deal, so get yours while it's there.
>
> Seems we need an ANSI SQL napster server.  :-)

Hmm, the README at that site says:

----
This is the primary server for the /isowg directory.  A mirror site
is available at math0.math.ecu.edu.  math0.math.ecu.edu is updated
twice a day.
----

So, it looks like it's the offical repository for (at least) the US part
of the iso working groups. Traditionally, those docs have been freely
available until the standard is actually accepted. Perhaps these are
working drafts for the next version? OR someone slipped up, and forgot
to remove them when the standard was voted on? Is the voting done? Has
ANSI voted? Will Lassie find Jimmy in the well?

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer