Обсуждение: createdb -- alternate locations

createdb -- alternate locations

От
"J.R."
    Hello:

Novice, just installed PGSQL 7.0 on Redhat 6.1.

Everything went smoothly with initial installation and db setup.
However, I've run into some problems subsequently.

To keep it simple, here is a specific problem.  Attempting to create a
database in an alternate location, I went through the following steps as
the superuser (postgres):

mkdir /home/postgres/testdata
export PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata
initlocation PGDATA2
createdb testdb -D 'PGDATA2'

the last command failed with this error:
"The database path 'PGDATA2' in invalid.  This may be due to a character
that is not allowed or because the chosen path isn't permitted for
databases"

I also tried createdb -D 'PGDATA2' testdb, same result.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
J.R. Belding
jrbelding@yahoo.com

Re: createdb -- alternate locations

От
Charles Tassell
Дата:
Try createdb -D $PGDATA2 testdb

At 11:26 PM 5/25/00, J.R. wrote:
>     Hello:
>
>Novice, just installed PGSQL 7.0 on Redhat 6.1.
>
>Everything went smoothly with initial installation and db setup.
>However, I've run into some problems subsequently.
>
>To keep it simple, here is a specific problem.  Attempting to create a
>database in an alternate location, I went through the following steps as
>the superuser (postgres):
>
>mkdir /home/postgres/testdata
>export PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata
>initlocation PGDATA2
>createdb testdb -D 'PGDATA2'
>
>the last command failed with this error:
>"The database path 'PGDATA2' in invalid.  This may be due to a character
>that is not allowed or because the chosen path isn't permitted for
>databases"
>
>I also tried createdb -D 'PGDATA2' testdb, same result.
>

>Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>
>Thanks,
>J.R. Belding
>jrbelding@yahoo.com

Re: createdb -- alternate locations

Дата:
> Try createdb -D $PGDATA2 testdb

I will be surprised if that works.  The initlocation manual says -D can
be a path or an environment variable which will be referenced.  Not sure
what that means.

> At 11:26 PM 5/25/00, J.R. wrote:
> >     Hello:
> >
> >Novice, just installed PGSQL 7.0 on Redhat 6.1.
> >
> >Everything went smoothly with initial installation and db setup.
> >However, I've run into some problems subsequently.
> >
> >To keep it simple, here is a specific problem.  Attempting to create a
> >database in an alternate location, I went through the following steps as
> >the superuser (postgres):
> >
> >mkdir /home/postgres/testdata
> >export PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata
> >initlocation PGDATA2
> >createdb testdb -D 'PGDATA2'
> >
> >the last command failed with this error:
> >"The database path 'PGDATA2' in invalid.  This may be due to a character
> >that is not allowed or because the chosen path isn't permitted for
> >databases"
> >
> >I also tried createdb -D 'PGDATA2' testdb, same result.
> >

> >Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >J.R. Belding
> >jrbelding@yahoo.com

Re: createdb -- alternate locations

Дата:
> Try createdb -D $PGDATA2 testdb
>
> At 11:26 PM 5/25/00, J.R. wrote:
> >     Hello:

OK, I see this in the code, so it seems $PGDATA2 and 'PGDATA2' are the
same:

if [ "$?" -ne 0 -a ! -d "$Location" ]; then
    PGALTDATA=`printenv $Location 2> /dev/null`
    if [ -z "$PGALTDATA" ]; then
        echo "$CMDNAME: environment variable $Location not set"
        exit 1
    fi

Does everyone have printenv?  I sure hope so.

Re: createdb -- alternate locations

От
Giles Lean
Дата:
On Thu, 25 May 2000 23:10:49 -0400 (EDT)  Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Does everyone have printenv?  I sure hope so.

Possibly not, since it's not part of UNIX98 (the "Single Unix
Specification, version 2"). I don't have a POSIX standard handy right
now but I don't think it is specified there either.

On the other hand, my NetBSD manual page says printenv was introduced
in BSD 3.0, so perhaps it's everywhere even if non-standard, which
would be typically Unix!

If someone does find a platform that is missing printenv it's easy
enough to change that code to use env and grep instead.

Regards,

Giles

Re: createdb -- alternate locations

От
Jeff Hoffmann
Дата:
"J.R." wrote:

>     Hello:
>
> Novice, just installed PGSQL 7.0 on Redhat 6.1.
>
> Everything went smoothly with initial installation and db setup.
> However, I've run into some problems subsequently.
>
> To keep it simple, here is a specific problem.  Attempting to create a
> database in an alternate location, I went through the following steps as
> the superuser (postgres):
>
> mkdir /home/postgres/testdata
> export PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata
> initlocation PGDATA2
> createdb testdb -D 'PGDATA2'
>
> the last command failed with this error:
> "The database path 'PGDATA2' in invalid.  This may be due to a character
> that is not allowed or because the chosen path isn't permitted for
> databases"

does anybody actually read the mailing lists?  i think this was covered
last week.  it's almost certainly that the postmaster was started before
the environment variable was declared.  the postmaster needs to be
restarted with the environment variable set in order for this to work.
this should probably be put in bold print in the docs or in a faq  (if i
recall correctly, i think it's mentioned there).  it'd even be a good
use of annotable documentation, too.  it seems like there are a lot of
novice mistakes like that that are common & very frustrating to new
users & that annotated docs or expanded faqs would be really helpful.

jeff

createdb -- alternate locations

От
"Richard J. Kuhns"
Дата:
J.R. writes:
 >     Hello:
 >
 > Novice, just installed PGSQL 7.0 on Redhat 6.1.
 >
 > Everything went smoothly with initial installation and db setup.
 > However, I've run into some problems subsequently.
 >
 > To keep it simple, here is a specific problem.  Attempting to create a
 > database in an alternate location, I went through the following steps as
 > the superuser (postgres):
 >
 > mkdir /home/postgres/testdata
 > export PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata
 > initlocation PGDATA2
 > createdb testdb -D 'PGDATA2'
 >
 > the last command failed with this error:
 > "The database path 'PGDATA2' in invalid.  This may be due to a character
 > that is not allowed or because the chosen path isn't permitted for
 > databases"
 >
 > I also tried createdb -D 'PGDATA2' testdb, same result.
 >

 > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

What a coincidence; I just asked about this last week.  What you've got is
right, but before you can createdb, you've got to stop and restart the
postmaster with "PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata" in its environment.

Good luck...

--
Richard Kuhns            rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249            Tel: (765)477-6000 \

Re: createdb -- alternate locations

Дата:
> J.R. writes:
>  >     Hello:
>  >
>  > Novice, just installed PGSQL 7.0 on Redhat 6.1.
>  >
>  > Everything went smoothly with initial installation and db setup.
>  > However, I've run into some problems subsequently.
>  >
>  > To keep it simple, here is a specific problem.  Attempting to create a
>  > database in an alternate location, I went through the following steps as
>  > the superuser (postgres):
>  >
>  > mkdir /home/postgres/testdata
>  > export PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata
>  > initlocation PGDATA2
>  > createdb testdb -D 'PGDATA2'
>  >
>  > the last command failed with this error:
>  > "The database path 'PGDATA2' in invalid.  This may be due to a character
>  > that is not allowed or because the chosen path isn't permitted for
>  > databases"
>  >
>  > I also tried createdb -D 'PGDATA2' testdb, same result.
>  >
>  >
>  > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>
> What a coincidence; I just asked about this last week.  What you've got is
> right, but before you can createdb, you've got to stop and restart the
> postmaster with "PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata" in its environment.

OK, I have udpated initlocation manual pages to mention stop/restart of
postmaster and that this must be defined everytime the postmaster
starts.  Do we allow absolute paths in initlocation anymore?  I am not
sure.

Re: createdb -- alternate locations

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Thu, 25 May 2000, J.R. wrote:

> mkdir /home/postgres/testdata
> export PGDATA2=/home/postgres/testdata
> initlocation PGDATA2
> createdb testdb -D 'PGDATA2'

You need to set the PGDATA2 environment variable in the environment of the
postmaster. That is, shut it down, export xxx, restart. Not ideal, I know,
but we're working on it.