Обсуждение: How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT

How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT

От
"Joost Kraaijeveld"
Дата:
These are the steps I used to compile and run PostgreSQL on Windows NT.
Notice that I have not verfied it after 24-3-99. In the coming week I hope
to update my webpage.

1. Install the Cygwin package
2. Update to EGCS 1.1.2

1. Install the Andy Piper Tools

1. Download the Cygwin32 IPC Package by .
2. Untar the package and follow the readme instructions.
3. I tested 1.03.
4. I used the \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\lib and
\cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\include\sys instead of the
/usr/local/lib and usr/local/include/sys.

1. Download the current snapshot.tar.gz (24-3-98).
2. Untar the package.
3. Copy the files from \pgsql\src\win32 according to the readme file.
3. Edit \pgsql\src\template\cygwin32 if needed (I had to adjust the YFLAGS
path).
4. ./configure
5. make
6. create the directory /usr/local/pgsql manually: the mkdir cannot create a
directory 2 deep.
7. make install
8. cd /usr/lical/pgsql/doc
9. make install
10. Set the environmental data
11. Initdb--username=jkr (do not run this command as administrator)

12. Open a new Cygwin command prompt
13. Start "ipc-deamon&" (background proces)
14. Start "postmaster -i 2>&1 > /tmp/postgres.log &" (background proces)
15. Start "tail -f /tmp/postgres.log" to see the messages

16. cd /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress
17. make all runtest

18. triggers aborts dr watson
19. misc after portals aborts dr watson
20. plpgsql aborts dr watson
21. temp results in a deadlock.

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Groenewoudseweg 46
6524VB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
email: JKraaijeveld@askesis.nl
web: www.askesis.nl

Re: [GENERAL] How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT

Дата:
This is now in the doc directory as README.NT.

> These are the steps I used to compile and run PostgreSQL on Windows NT.
> Notice that I have not verfied it after 24-3-99. In the coming week I hope
> to update my webpage.
>
> 1. Install the Cygwin package
> 2. Update to EGCS 1.1.2
>
> 1. Install the Andy Piper Tools
>
> 1. Download the Cygwin32 IPC Package by .
> 2. Untar the package and follow the readme instructions.
> 3. I tested 1.03.
> 4. I used the \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\lib and
> \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\include\sys instead of the
> /usr/local/lib and usr/local/include/sys.
>
> 1. Download the current snapshot.tar.gz (24-3-98).
> 2. Untar the package.
> 3. Copy the files from \pgsql\src\win32 according to the readme file.
> 3. Edit \pgsql\src\template\cygwin32 if needed (I had to adjust the YFLAGS
> path).
> 4. ./configure
> 5. make
> 6. create the directory /usr/local/pgsql manually: the mkdir cannot create a
> directory 2 deep.
> 7. make install
> 8. cd /usr/lical/pgsql/doc
> 9. make install
> 10. Set the environmental data
> 11. Initdb--username=jkr (do not run this command as administrator)
>
> 12. Open a new Cygwin command prompt
> 13. Start "ipc-deamon&" (background proces)
> 14. Start "postmaster -i 2>&1 > /tmp/postgres.log &" (background proces)
> 15. Start "tail -f /tmp/postgres.log" to see the messages
>
> 16. cd /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress
> 17. make all runtest
>
> 18. triggers aborts dr watson
> 19. misc after portals aborts dr watson
> 20. plpgsql aborts dr watson
> 21. temp results in a deadlock.
>

> Joost Kraaijeveld
> Askesis B.V.
> Groenewoudseweg 46
> 6524VB Nijmegen
> tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
> fax: 024-3608416
> email: JKraaijeveld@askesis.nl
> web: www.askesis.nl

Re: [GENERAL] How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT

От
Jeff MacDonald
Дата:
I have used this file to take a hack at installing on nt.
May I suggest more detail on items such as

> > 1. Install the Andy Piper Tools

who is andy piper ?

Jeff MacDonald           // Hub.org Networking Services // PostgreSQL INC
jeff@hub.org            // sales@hub.org               // sales@pgsql.com
http://hub.org/~jeff   // http://hub.org              // http://pgsql.com

Re: [GENERAL] How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT

От
Ted Nolan SRI Augusta GA
Дата:
In message <199907070305.XAA01808@candle.pha.pa.us>you write:

>This is now in the doc directory as README.NT.
>

>[Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>> These are the steps I used to compile and run PostgreSQL on Windows NT.
>> Notice that I have not verfied it after 24-3-99. In the coming week I hope
>> to update my webpage.
>>
>> 1. Install the Cygwin package
>> 2. Update to EGCS 1.1.2
>>
>> 1. Install the Andy Piper Tools
>>
>> 1. Download the Cygwin32 IPC Package by .
>> 2. Untar the package and follow the readme instructions.
>> 3. I tested 1.03.
>> 4. I used the \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\lib and
>> \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\include\sys instead of the
>> /usr/local/lib and usr/local/include/sys.
>>
>> 1. Download the current snapshot.tar.gz (24-3-98).

It might be nice to say what and where the Andy Piper Tools are
(http://www.xemacs.freeserve.co.uk/) and where the cygwin32 IPC package can
be gotten (http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/)

Also I didn't use the Piper tools or EGCS 1.1.2, and as far as I can tell,
it is working (6.5)..

                Ted Nolan

Re: [GENERAL] How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT]

Дата:
> I have used this file to take a hack at installing on nt.
> May I suggest more detail on items such as
>
> > > 1. Install the Andy Piper Tools
>
> who is andy piper ?

No idea.  I would be glad to add more information to the file if I knew
anything.  Perhaps the author can add something.

Re: [GENERAL] How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT

Дата:
> It might be nice to say what and where the Andy Piper Tools are
> (http://www.xemacs.freeserve.co.uk/) and where the cygwin32 IPC package can
> be gotten (http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/)
>
> Also I didn't use the Piper tools or EGCS 1.1.2, and as far as I can tell,
> it is working (6.5)..

New version attached.

It can be done by done by typing configure, make and make install.

1. Install the Cygwin package
2. Update to EGCS 1.1.2
   (This may be optional.)

1. Install the Andy Piper Tools (http://www.xemacs.freeserve.co.uk/)
   (This may be optional.)

1. Download the Cygwin32 IPC Package by Ludovic LANGE
   (http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/
2. Untar the package and follow the readme instructions.
3. I tested 1.03.
4. I used the \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\lib and
\cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\include\sys instead of the
/usr/local/lib and usr/local/include/sys.

1. Download the current version of PostgreSQL.
2. Untar the package.
3. Copy the files from \pgsql\src\win32 according to the readme file.
3. Edit \pgsql\src\template\cygwin32 if needed (I had to adjust the YFLAGS
path).
4. ./configure
5. make
6. create the directory /usr/local/pgsql manually: the mkdir cannot create a
directory 2 levels deep in one step.
7. make install
8. cd /usr/lical/pgsql/doc
9. make install
10. Set the environmental data
11. Initdb --username=jkr (do not run this command as administrator)

12. Open a new Cygwin command prompt
13. Start "ipc-deamon&" (background proces)
14. Start "postmaster -i 2>&1 > /tmp/postgres.log &" (background proces)
15. Start "tail -f /tmp/postgres.log" to see the messages

16. cd /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress
17. make all runtest

All test should be run, allthought the latest snapshot I tested (18-4)
appears to have some problems with locking.

Joost

July 1999 issue of Sys Admin

От
Thomas Good
Дата:
Jeff -

The July issue of sys admin has a feature on Perl for DBAs.
This is actually better coverage than you get in most perl
books.  It covers most of the DBI command set so it may be of
some interest to Edmund...

What is of note is that the author uses Oracle as his primary
database.  And so all the primary examples are in Oracle_Speak.

The secondary examples tho --- are all Pg.

I don't recall seeing any reference to Postgres in the article
but then again I only read the listings closely...skimmed the
literary verbiage hastily over my A.M. coffee.

Shall I fax you a copy?

Tom

------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good                                   MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs:                  tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
                                          Phone: 718-354-5528
                                          Fax:   718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */

Re: [GENERAL] July 1999 issue of Sys Admin

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
> The July issue of sys admin has a feature on Perl for DBAs.
> This is actually better coverage than you get in most perl

> Shall I fax you a copy?

Yes, please :-)

I'd like to ask if it's on the web?

Re: [GENERAL] July 1999 issue of Sys Admin

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> I'd like to ask if it's on the web?

The magazine (www.samag.com) but not the article.  Maybe later in the
year.  I can't remember the policy right now.

Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson
raanders@altoplanos.net               Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.

Re: [GENERAL] July 1999 issue of Sys Admin

От
Thomas Good
Дата:
On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> > The July issue of sys admin has a feature on Perl for DBAs.
> > This is actually better coverage than you get in most perl
>
> > Shall I fax you a copy?
>
> Yes, please :-)

I could do that...of course, Kaare, you'd have to buy me a pint.
I hope to be at a conference in Paris next spring...maybe I'll
stop by.  Or we could meet in Antwerpen.  ;-)

> I'd like to ask if it's on the web?

Not yet.

BTW, this is not any advanced code, it is basic, `how do I connect'
stuff.  But it is clear and correct - unlike what you see in `Advanced
Perl Programming'.

The reason I mentioned it to Jeff is that he's in Sales and it's good
to see Pg mentioned (albeit indirectly) in one of the trades...it is
a pet peeve that MySQL and mSQL get all the press.  I suppose they
are decent databases and deserve coverage but postgres beat out both
of them in my shop.  I wish Tim O'Reilly would notice that lots of
use _rely_ on postgres...

How goes the accounting project?  I had to refocus on my clinical
software as we have dumped all proprietary databases (shut down our
last PROGRESS database yesterday) and I have lots of code to write.
Speaking of which --- back to work!

Cheers,
Tom
------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good                                   MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs:                  tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
                                          Phone: 718-354-5528
                                          Fax:   718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */

Re: [GENERAL] How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT

От
Geraldo Lopes
Дата:
Hi

These steps can work in Win95 ?

> Installing PostgreSQL on NT:

> It can be done by done by typing configure, make and make install.
>
> 1. Install the Cygwin package
> 2. Update to EGCS 1.1.2
>    (This may be optional.)
>
> 1. Install the Andy Piper Tools (http://www.xemacs.freeserve.co.uk/)
>    (This may be optional.)
>
> 1. Download the Cygwin32 IPC Package by Ludovic LANGE
>    (http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/
> 2. Untar the package and follow the readme instructions.
> 3. I tested 1.03.
> 4. I used the \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\lib and
> \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\include\sys instead of the
> /usr/local/lib and usr/local/include/sys.
>
> 1. Download the current version of PostgreSQL.
> 2. Untar the package.
> 3. Copy the files from \pgsql\src\win32 according to the readme file.
> 3. Edit \pgsql\src\template\cygwin32 if needed (I had to adjust the YFLAGS
> path).
> 4. ./configure
> 5. make
> 6. create the directory /usr/local/pgsql manually: the mkdir cannot create a
> directory 2 levels deep in one step.
> 7. make install
> 8. cd /usr/lical/pgsql/doc
> 9. make install
> 10. Set the environmental data
> 11. Initdb --username=jkr (do not run this command as administrator)
>
> 12. Open a new Cygwin command prompt
> 13. Start "ipc-deamon&" (background proces)
> 14. Start "postmaster -i 2>&1 > /tmp/postgres.log &" (background proces)
> 15. Start "tail -f /tmp/postgres.log" to see the messages
>
> 16. cd /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress
> 17. make all runtest
>
> All test should be run, allthought the latest snapshot I tested (18-4)
> appears to have some problems with locking.
>
> Joost

Re: [GENERAL] How to compile PosttgreSQL on NT

Дата:
> Hi
>
> These steps can work in Win95 ?

I don't think so.  Only on NT.  You can compile the client stuff like
libpq and psql in win95.  Stuff is in src/win32.mak.