Обсуждение: Minor addition to index documentation

Minor addition to index documentation

От
Anastasia Lubennikova
Дата:
Fix incomplete gist interface description.
Patch is attached.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: Minor addition to index documentation

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> Fix incomplete gist interface description.

Hi, thanks for the patch.

I think this sentence is a bit confusing:

>    <para>
> -   GiST indexes require seven support functions, with an optional eighth, as
> +   GiST indexes require seven support functions, with two optional, as
>     shown in <xref linkend="xindex-gist-support-table">.

The new text seems to say that one of the seven support funcs is
optional, which is wrong if I correctly understand that the "fetch"
optional function was added.

Maybe "GiST indexes require nine support functions, two of which are
optional, as shown in XYZ".

This is to be backpatched as far back as commit d04c8ed9044ec, right?

Re: Minor addition to index documentation

От
Anastasia Lubennikova

16.11.2015 21:59, Alvaro Herrera:
> Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
>> Fix incomplete gist interface description.
> Hi, thanks for the patch.
>
> I think this sentence is a bit confusing:
>
>>     <para>
>> -   GiST indexes require seven support functions, with an optional eighth, as
>> +   GiST indexes require seven support functions, with two optional, as
>>      shown in <xref linkend="xindex-gist-support-table">.
> The new text seems to say that one of the seven support funcs is
> optional, which is wrong if I correctly understand that the "fetch"
> optional function was added.
>
> Maybe "GiST indexes require nine support functions, two of which are
> optional, as shown in XYZ".
Yes, thank you for advice. I think it'll be more clear.

> This is to be backpatched as far back as commit d04c8ed9044ec, right?
Yes.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: Minor addition to index documentation

Дата:
> Maybe "GiST indexes require nine support functions, two of which are
> optional, as shown in XYZ".

That wording seems just as bizarre to me: a support function can hardly
be both "required" and "optional".  After a bit of thought I changed it
    GiST indexes have nine support functions, two of which are optional,

I noted that the corresponding wording for GIN indexes was a bit out
of date too :-(.  Pushed with those corrections.

            regards, tom lane