Обсуждение: Pattern Matching doc

Pattern Matching doc

От
Michael Toews
Дата:
Hi,

I've noticed two issues with the 8.4 documentation, see:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/functions-matching.html

Firstly, search for "///". This should only have two slashes "//".

Secondly, search for "An RE cannot..." after the table named "Regular Expression Atoms". I think this should be changed
to"A regular expression pattern cannot..." (or alternatively, "A pattern cannot...".

I've produced a diff output using pgsql/browser/trunk/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/func.sgml from CVS

3448c3448
< SELECT foo FROM regexp_split_to_table('the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog', E'\\\s+') AS foo;
---
> SELECT foo FROM regexp_split_to_table('the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog', E'\\s+') AS foo;
3648c3648
<     An RE cannot end with <literal>\</>.
---
>     A regular expression pattern cannot end with <literal>\</>.

Regards,
-Mike

Re: Pattern Matching doc

Дата:
Michael Toews <mwtoews@sfu.ca> writes:
> I've noticed two issues with the 8.4 documentation, see:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/functions-matching.html

> Firstly, search for "///". This should only have two slashes "//".

You mean \\\, right?  Yeah, that's bogus ... not actually incorrect,
but the third backslash is redundant.

> Secondly, search for "An RE cannot..." after the table named "Regular Expression Atoms". I think this should be
changedto "A regular expression pattern cannot..." (or alternatively, "A pattern cannot...".

The constructs "the RE" and "an RE" are all over that section, and the
abbreviation is defined right at the top.  I think expanding them all
would just make it longer, not more readable.

            regards, tom lane