Обсуждение: Partitioning documentation example

Partitioning documentation example

Дата:
Simon, I was looking at the new table partitioning documentation that
recommends triggers:

    http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/ddl-partitioning.html#DDL-PARTITIONING-IMPLEMENTATION

and came upon this trigger function example:

    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION measurement_insert_trigger()
    RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
    BEGIN
        IF ( NEW.logdate >= DATE '2006-02-01' AND NEW.logdate < DATE '2006-03-01' ) THEN
            INSERT INTO measurement_y2006m02 VALUES (NEW.*);
        ELSIF ( NEW.logdate >= DATE '2006-03-01' AND NEW.logdate < DATE '2006-04-01' ) THEN
            INSERT INTO measurement_y2006m03 VALUES (NEW.*);
        ELSIF ( NEW.logdate >= DATE '2008-01-01' AND NEW.logdate < DATE '2008-02-01' ) THEN
            INSERT INTO measurement_y2008m01 VALUES (NEW.*);
        ELSE
            RAISE EXCEPTION 'Date out of range.  Fix the measurement_insert_trigger() function!';
        END IF;
        RETURN NULL;
    END;
    $$
    LANGUAGE plpgsql;

It seems to me it would be much clearer if we added a second example
that used to_char() to create the INSERT statement dynamically based on
NEW.logdate:

    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION measurement_insert_trigger()
    RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
    BEGIN
       EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO measurement_y' || to_char(NEW.logdate,'YYYY_mMM') || ' VALUES (NEW.*)';
    END;
    $$
    LANGUAGE plpgsql;

It will of course fail if the table does not exist, which I think is
what we want.  This trigger function would not have to be modified when
new tables are added.

Re: Partitioning documentation example

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 10:27 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> It seems to me it would be much clearer if we added a second example
> that used to_char() to create the INSERT statement dynamically based on
> NEW.logdate:
>
>     CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION measurement_insert_trigger()
>     RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
>     BEGIN
>        EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO measurement_y' || to_char(NEW.logdate,'YYYY_mMM') || ' VALUES (NEW.*)';
>     END;
>     $$
>     LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
> It will of course fail if the table does not exist, which I think is
> what we want.  This trigger function would not have to be modified when
> new tables are added.

I like your new trigger better than the old, but I am still
uncomfortable with recommending we use triggers with COPY for
performance reasons and we should add a caveat.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Partitioning documentation example

Дата:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 10:27 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > It seems to me it would be much clearer if we added a second example
> > that used to_char() to create the INSERT statement dynamically based on
> > NEW.logdate:
> >
> >     CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION measurement_insert_trigger()
> >     RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
> >     BEGIN
> >        EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO measurement_y' || to_char(NEW.logdate,'YYYY_mMM') || ' VALUES (NEW.*)';
> >     END;
> >     $$
> >     LANGUAGE plpgsql;
> >
> > It will of course fail if the table does not exist, which I think is
> > what we want.  This trigger function would not have to be modified when
> > new tables are added.
>
> I like your new trigger better than the old, but I am still
> uncomfortable with recommending we use triggers with COPY for
> performance reasons and we should add a caveat.

OK, I will add this example in addition to the examples already present.

Re: Partitioning documentation example

Дата:
>        EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO measurement_y' || to_char(NEW.logdate,'YYYY_mMM') || ' VALUES (NEW.*)';

That won't actually work.  Even if it did, I don't think we should be
recommending use of EXECUTE here; the performance implications are bad.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> >        EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO measurement_y' || to_char(NEW.logdate,'YYYY_mMM') || ' VALUES (NEW.*)';
>
> That won't actually work.  Even if it did, I don't think we should be
> recommending use of EXECUTE here; the performance implications are bad.

Bummer.  :-(

bruce wrote:
> Simon, I was looking at the new table partitioning documentation that
> recommends triggers:
>
>     http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/ddl-partitioning.html#DDL-PARTITIONING-IMPLEMENTATION
>
> and came upon this trigger function example:
>
>     CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION measurement_insert_trigger()
>     RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
>     BEGIN
>         IF ( NEW.logdate >= DATE '2006-02-01' AND NEW.logdate < DATE '2006-03-01' ) THEN
>             INSERT INTO measurement_y2006m02 VALUES (NEW.*);
>         ELSIF ( NEW.logdate >= DATE '2006-03-01' AND NEW.logdate < DATE '2006-04-01' ) THEN
>             INSERT INTO measurement_y2006m03 VALUES (NEW.*);
>         ELSIF ( NEW.logdate >= DATE '2008-01-01' AND NEW.logdate < DATE '2008-02-01' ) THEN
>             INSERT INTO measurement_y2008m01 VALUES (NEW.*);
>         ELSE
>             RAISE EXCEPTION 'Date out of range.  Fix the measurement_insert_trigger() function!';
>         END IF;
>         RETURN NULL;
>     END;
>     $$
>     LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Because my EXECUTE example didn't work I have created a new example
using date_trunc(), which I think is less error-prone than the
comparisons done in the original example:

    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION measurement_insert_trigger()
    RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
    BEGIN
        IF date_trunc('month', NEW.logdate) = '2006-02-01' THEN
        INSERT INTO measurement_y2006m02 VALUES (NEW.*);
        ELSIF  date_trunc('month', NEW.logdate) = '2006-03-01' THEN
        INSERT INTO measurement_y2006m03 VALUES (NEW.*);
        ELSIF  date_trunc('month', NEW.logdate) = '2008-01-01' THEN
        INSERT INTO measurement_y2008m01 VALUES (NEW.*);
        ELSE
        RAISE EXCEPTION 'Date out of range.  Fix the measurement_insert_trigger() function!';
        END IF;
        RETURN NULL;
    END;
    $$
    LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Re: Partitioning documentation example

Дата:
> Because my EXECUTE example didn't work I have created a new example
> using date_trunc(), which I think is less error-prone than the
> comparisons done in the original example:

This is not an improvement either.  You can't represent the check
constraints that way (at least not if you want the planner to do
constraint exclusion with them) and I don't think it's "less
error-prone" to have a different representation in the trigger than
you have in the constraints.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Because my EXECUTE example didn't work I have created a new example
> > using date_trunc(), which I think is less error-prone than the
> > comparisons done in the original example:
>
> This is not an improvement either.  You can't represent the check
> constraints that way (at least not if you want the planner to do
> constraint exclusion with them) and I don't think it's "less
> error-prone" to have a different representation in the trigger than
> you have in the constraints.

I see, so date_trunc() can't be used for constraint exclusion in the
CHECK constraint, and the trigger should match;  makes sense.

Re: Partitioning documentation example

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:25:59PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >        EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO measurement_y' || to_char(NEW.logdate,'YYYY_mMM') || ' VALUES (NEW.*)';
>
> That won't actually work.  Even if it did, I don't think we should be
> recommending use of EXECUTE here; the performance implications are bad.

I think it's still worthy as an example. Not all partitioning systems
need a high insert rate. And even if it does, that tends to be CPU-work;
if you're partitioning you're likely IO-bound and not CPU-bound.

Has anyone measured the performance difference?
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Re: Partitioning documentation example

Дата:
Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:25:59PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> That won't actually work.

> I think it's still worthy as an example.

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.  How are you
going to do performance measurement on something that does not work?

            regards, tom lane