Обсуждение: Re: [CORE] Release schedule?

Re: [CORE] Release schedule?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Okay, I'm blind, but I thought that we were doing a 6.5 vs 7.0 docs tree
also ::(  but I can't find it anywhere ...

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > btw, the 7.0 release tarball will need to be built with wget or
> > > something similar picking up the current copies of docs from the
> > > Postgres web site. Is that OK? If so, I'll stay away from committing
> > > them to CVS and will deep-six the ones that are there...
> > Okay, what should I be 'wget'ng?  And where would you like it to go to?
> > I just set things up to pull:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/backend
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/chinese
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/programmer
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/tutorial
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user
> > And am figuring on putting them into:
> > postgresql-<version>/docs/{admin,backend,chinese,postgres,programmer,etc}
> > Is there some other place you would like them put, or something else I
> > should be including?
>
> We should be pulling them from a version-specific place; my
> recollection is that we have set up
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.0/ for this (and that a .../6.5 also
> exists).
>
> The places you list above will likely hold the snapshot version of the
> same files.
>
> I would suggest picking up the .tar.gz and .ps.gz files from .../7.0,
> rather than individual files, since the doc/ Makefile assumes that
> those exist for purposes of unpacking/installing into some place
> *other* than the local Postgres distribution tree. And I won't have
> time to change the Makefile to do something else by May 1. (May 5 --
> all things are possible ;)
>
>                         - Thomas
>
> btw, we've got several threads going on core which should be on
> hackers. This is one of them...
>
> --
> Thomas Lockhart                lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu
> South Pasadena, California

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [CORE] Release schedule?

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Okay, I'm blind, but I thought that we were doing a 6.5 vs 7.0 docs tree
> also ::(  but I can't find it anywhere ...

It's in the user's lounge.  I haven't put it online yet.  I've been
working on the bugtool which is about ready.  Besides, they're not
due till 7.0release (*ducking*).    Take a look at:

www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/6.5/docs

I think.  For 7.0 replace the 6.5 with 7.0.  I don't have an index
built yet.  Maybe later this week with the bugtool.

Bugtool status: It takes bug reports, puts them in the database and
sends email to the specified address.  So far I can only view the
entire list of bugs, I still need to do the search page and decide
on a place for uploaded files, and do a quick techtool for it.  So
it's almost done.

Programmer's corner is still a couple of weeks away.  I also need to
talk to Dmitry about a couple of new graphics for the menus.

Vince.

> > > Okay, what should I be 'wget'ng?  And where would you like it to go to?
> > > I just set things up to pull:
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/backend
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/chinese
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/programmer
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/tutorial
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user
> > > And am figuring on putting them into:
> > > postgresql-<version>/docs/{admin,backend,chinese,postgres,programmer,etc}
> > > Is there some other place you would like them put, or something else I
> > > should be including?
> >
> > We should be pulling them from a version-specific place; my
> > recollection is that we have set up
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.0/ for this (and that a .../6.5 also
> > exists).
> >
> > The places you list above will likely hold the snapshot version of the
> > same files.
> >
> > I would suggest picking up the .tar.gz and .ps.gz files from .../7.0,
> > rather than individual files, since the doc/ Makefile assumes that
> > those exist for purposes of unpacking/installing into some place
> > *other* than the local Postgres distribution tree. And I won't have
> > time to change the Makefile to do something else by May 1. (May 5 --
> > all things are possible ;)
> >
> >                         - Thomas
> >
> > btw, we've got several threads going on core which should be on
> > hackers. This is one of them...
> >
> > --
> > Thomas Lockhart                lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu
> > South Pasadena, California
> >

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: Re: [CORE] Release schedule?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> Bugtool status: It takes bug reports, puts them in the database and
> sends email to the specified address.  So far I can only view the
> entire list of bugs, I still need to do the search page and decide
> on a place for uploaded files, and do a quick techtool for it.  So
> it's almost done.

So I take it you're not sold on Gnats or Bugzilla?

Re: Re: [CORE] Release schedule?

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > Bugtool status: It takes bug reports, puts them in the database and
> > sends email to the specified address.  So far I can only view the
> > entire list of bugs, I still need to do the search page and decide
> > on a place for uploaded files, and do a quick techtool for it.  So
> > it's almost done.
>
> So I take it you're not sold on Gnats or Bugzilla?

I need simple to administer, straightforward, easy to use, expandable
to fit our needs, runs without grief in PostgreSQL, easy to setup.  I
can write one that suits our needs in less time than it'd take me to
learn the minimun on one of the others.   We've already tried a couple
of other bug trackers and they all met the same fate, mainly because
they were a pita to setup and use.  I only have another couple of hours
work to go on this one then I can easily integrate it into the website.

But before I do that I need to get a new radiusd running on the customer
auth machine for pop4 and build a kiosk so I can get it painted and have
the screen printer put my logo on it for a show I'll be at in about 3
and a half weeks.   Anyone else going to Dayton?

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: [CORE] Release schedule?

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > Okay, I'm blind, but I thought that we were doing a 6.5 vs 7.0 docs tree
> > also ::(  but I can't find it anywhere ...
> It's in the user's lounge.  I haven't put it online yet.  I've been
> working on the bugtool which is about ready.  Besides, they're not
> due till 7.0release (*ducking*).    Take a look at:
> www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/6.5/docs
> I think.  For 7.0 replace the 6.5 with 7.0...

Right; sorry about getting the path wrong.

I just put in a man.tar.gz for 7.0, and I've got the tutorial.ps.gz
ready to go (but forgot to take it off my laptop; should remember to
do it tomorrow).

I'm going to assume that the docs are more-or-less frozen after I
leave for vacation tomorrow, and I'll work a bit on them while I'm
away. afaik they will be about ready to go on May 1. The html versions
are very quick to do, and if people have real corrections to make they
may as well continue to make them. I'll see them in the cvs tree and
can backpatch to the printed docs if it isn't too ugly.

I'll do the admin doc and the INSTALL page last, after I return. I'm
planning on adding a "Things to know" section to the release notes, to
help those upgrading from a previous version. Bruce, are you still
planning on making big changes to the release notes (I recall mail
saying you were going to do so last weekend??) or are they pretty good
already?

                       - Thomas

btw, are we sticking with the ".tar.gz" format for the html docs in
our release tarball? I think we should at least until we are done with
the 7.0.x releases, since changing it does require someone to take
ownership of the "make install" issue.

South Pasadena, California

Re: [CORE] Release schedule?

Дата:
> I just put in a man.tar.gz for 7.0, and I've got the tutorial.ps.gz
> ready to go (but forgot to take it off my laptop; should remember to
> do it tomorrow).
>
> I'm going to assume that the docs are more-or-less frozen after I
> leave for vacation tomorrow, and I'll work a bit on them while I'm
> away. afaik they will be about ready to go on May 1. The html versions
> are very quick to do, and if people have real corrections to make they
> may as well continue to make them. I'll see them in the cvs tree and
> can backpatch to the printed docs if it isn't too ugly.
>
> I'll do the admin doc and the INSTALL page last, after I return. I'm
> planning on adding a "Things to know" section to the release notes, to
> help those upgrading from a previous version. Bruce, are you still
> planning on making big changes to the release notes (I recall mail
> saying you were going to do so last weekend??) or are they pretty good
> already?

Release.sgml is up-to-date.  I just committed the most recent additions.
Seems there wasn't much _visible_ change since I updated it on March
23rd.  It is ready to go.

My reference page cleanups will have to be post-7.0.  Not sure how much
I can improve them, but I will go over them in detail to see.

Re: Release schedule?

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Release.sgml is up-to-date.  I just committed the most recent additions.
> Seems there wasn't much _visible_ change since I updated it on March
> 23rd.  It is ready to go.

Thanks. I'll proceed as though the docs are "frozen", though as I
mentioned before people can and should still correct errors and
omissions in the sources. Those last fixes will be reflected in the
hmtl for sure and I can backpatch the printed docs in at least some
cases. Note that this is somewhat different than in previous releases,
where I asked folks to stay away from the docs after freeze time.

I'll refresh my cvs tree on my laptop this morning, then sign off
until April 30. At least one morning I'll be sitting in a cafe in
Barcelona with my laptop working on the docs, so don't think it is all
vacation ;)

                       - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [CORE] Release schedule?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Okay, now I'm getting *really* *really* confused here *sigh*

What exactly am I supposed to be pulling, using wget, to add to the
release?  Looking in postgresql-v7.0RC1/doc, there are already .tar.gz
files in place, as taken from teh CVS repository ... but, looking inside
of these, they are from Aug 7th ...

... so, am I supposed to be taking what isn't currently in
http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/7.0/docs and replacing the existing
.tar.gz and .ps.gz files as part of the release? *raised eyebrow*

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > Okay, I'm blind, but I thought that we were doing a 6.5 vs 7.0 docs tree
> > > also ::(  but I can't find it anywhere ...
> > It's in the user's lounge.  I haven't put it online yet.  I've been
> > working on the bugtool which is about ready.  Besides, they're not
> > due till 7.0release (*ducking*).    Take a look at:
> > www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/6.5/docs
> > I think.  For 7.0 replace the 6.5 with 7.0...
>
> Right; sorry about getting the path wrong.
>
> I just put in a man.tar.gz for 7.0, and I've got the tutorial.ps.gz
> ready to go (but forgot to take it off my laptop; should remember to
> do it tomorrow).
>
> I'm going to assume that the docs are more-or-less frozen after I
> leave for vacation tomorrow, and I'll work a bit on them while I'm
> away. afaik they will be about ready to go on May 1. The html versions
> are very quick to do, and if people have real corrections to make they
> may as well continue to make them. I'll see them in the cvs tree and
> can backpatch to the printed docs if it isn't too ugly.
>
> I'll do the admin doc and the INSTALL page last, after I return. I'm
> planning on adding a "Things to know" section to the release notes, to
> help those upgrading from a previous version. Bruce, are you still
> planning on making big changes to the release notes (I recall mail
> saying you were going to do so last weekend??) or are they pretty good
> already?
>
>                        - Thomas
>
> btw, are we sticking with the ".tar.gz" format for the html docs in
> our release tarball? I think we should at least until we are done with
> the 7.0.x releases, since changing it does require someone to take
> ownership of the "make install" issue.
>
> --
> Thomas Lockhart                lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu
> South Pasadena, California

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [CORE] Release schedule?

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> What exactly am I supposed to be pulling, using wget, to add to the
> release?  Looking in postgresql-v7.0RC1/doc, there are already .tar.gz
> files in place, as taken from teh CVS repository ... but, looking inside
> of these, they are from Aug 7th ...

Right. Until now, these files were in cvs. But Tom Lane pointed out
that they just clog up cvs with not much extra value, and advocated
removing them from cvs. I haven't yet done so, since you are still
working out the details of wget (right?).

> ... so, am I supposed to be taking what isn't currently in
> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/7.0/docs and replacing the existing
> .tar.gz and .ps.gz files as part of the release? *raised eyebrow*

There is something there now (as of this morning), but the .ps.gz
files are from the v6.5 release (except for the tutorial; it is for
v7.0). But it is enough for you to test with. We will remove the
existing .tar.gz and .ps.gz files from the cvs repository before
release; at the moment just overwrite them with the wget'd versions.

See y'all in 10 days; off to Spain now...

                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California