Обсуждение: Updated docs needed for 7.0

Updated docs needed for 7.0

Дата:
OK, I have talked to Thomas and have found which items need work for
7.0.  Comments please.

> Add CmdTuples() to libpq++(Vince)

> New CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and SET CONSTRAINTS commands(Jan)
> ALTER TABLE CONSTRAINT
> First real FOREIGN KEY constraint trigger functionality (Jan)
> Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH FULL ... ON DELETE CASCADE (Jan)
> Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH  referential actions (Don Baccus)
> Add ALTER TABLE ... ADD FOREIGN KEY (Stephan Szabo)

Needs much more work.

> Add ecpg EXEC SQL IFDEF, EXEC SQL IFNDEF, EXEC SQL ELSE, EXEC SQL ELIF
>         and EXEC SQL ENDIF directives

ecpg.sgml?

> Updated user interfaces on initdb, initlocation, pg_dump, ipcclean (Peter E)

Need updating of switches.

> New libpq functions PQsetClientEncoding(), PQclientEncoding() (Tatsuo)

Documented, but only in README.mb.  Is that OK?

> New lztext data type for compressed text fields

Not documented.  I think we want to document it, no?

> New C-routines to implement a BIT and BIT VARYING type in /contrib
>         (Adriaan Joubert)

Let's hold on this one.

Re: Updated docs needed for 7.0

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> > New libpq functions PQsetClientEncoding(), PQclientEncoding() (Tatsuo)
>
> Documented, but only in README.mb.  Is that OK?

It seems I'm not looking forward to announce widely them since we will
go into a direction supporting the national character and when they
would be available, application interfaces might be changed
dramatically.

Comments?
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Updated docs needed for 7.0

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Updated user interfaces on initdb, initlocation, pg_dump, ipcclean (Peter E)
>
> Need updating of switches.

initdb is up to date. initlocation and ipcclean don't even have any
switches. pg_dump switches seem up to date but I don't have anything to do
with that.

> > New libpq functions PQsetClientEncoding(), PQclientEncoding() (Tatsuo)
>
> Documented, but only in README.mb.  Is that OK?

Seemingly, since README.mb is the de facto authorative source for MB
documentation.

> > New lztext data type for compressed text fields
>
> Not documented.  I think we want to document it, no?

No. :)

Re: Updated docs needed for 7.0

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
> OK, I have talked to Thomas and have found which items need work for
> 7.0.  Comments please.

> > Add CmdTuples() to libpq++(Vince)
>
> > New CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and SET CONSTRAINTS commands(Jan)
> > ALTER TABLE CONSTRAINT
> > First real FOREIGN KEY constraint trigger functionality (Jan)
> > Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH FULL ... ON DELETE CASCADE (Jan)
> > Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH  referential actions (Don Baccus)
> > Add ALTER TABLE ... ADD FOREIGN KEY (Stephan Szabo)

    Attached  is  are  diffs  for  CREATE/ALTER  table  doc  I've
    forgotten in my mailbox (sorry). Haven't tried to  apply  and
    since I don't have working sgml stuff cannot check.

> > New lztext data type for compressed text fields
>
> Not documented.  I think we want to document it, no?

    If  at  all,  only  in the release notes because it has to be
    removed again as soon as we implement TOAST.

Jan

Re: Updated docs needed for 7.0

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut <e99re41@DoCS.UU.SE> writes:

>> Need updating of switches.

> initdb is up to date. initlocation and ipcclean don't even have any
> switches. pg_dump switches seem up to date but I don't have anything to do
> with that.

initlocation has switches ... look at the source ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Updated docs needed for 7.0

Дата:
> > OK, I have talked to Thomas and have found which items need work for
> > 7.0.  Comments please.

> > > Add CmdTuples() to libpq++(Vince)
> >
> > > New CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and SET CONSTRAINTS commands(Jan)
> > > ALTER TABLE CONSTRAINT
> > > First real FOREIGN KEY constraint trigger functionality (Jan)
> > > Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH FULL ... ON DELETE CASCADE (Jan)
> > > Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH  referential actions (Don Baccus)
> > > Add ALTER TABLE ... ADD FOREIGN KEY (Stephan Szabo)
>
>     Attached  is  are  diffs  for  CREATE/ALTER  table  doc  I've
>     forgotten in my mailbox (sorry). Haven't tried to  apply  and
>     since I don't have working sgml stuff cannot check.

Added.  Thanks.

> > > New lztext data type for compressed text fields
> >
> > Not documented.  I think we want to document it, no?
>
>     If  at  all,  only  in the release notes because it has to be
>     removed again as soon as we implement TOAST.

OK, I will remove the item from the list of needed doc changes.

Re: Updated docs needed for 7.0

Дата:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Updated user interfaces on initdb, initlocation, pg_dump, ipcclean (Peter E)
> >
> > Need updating of switches.
>
> initdb is up to date. initlocation and ipcclean don't even have any
> switches. pg_dump switches seem up to date but I don't have anything to do
> with that.

OK, thanks, I will mark it as done.

> > > New libpq functions PQsetClientEncoding(), PQclientEncoding() (Tatsuo)
> >
> > Documented, but only in README.mb.  Is that OK?
>
> Seemingly, since README.mb is the de facto authorative source for MB
> documentation.

OK, I will remove it.

> > > New lztext data type for compressed text fields
> >
> > Not documented.  I think we want to document it, no?
>
> No. :)

OK, everyone seems to agree.

Re: Updated docs needed for 7.0

Дата:
> > > New libpq functions PQsetClientEncoding(), PQclientEncoding() (Tatsuo)
> >
> > Documented, but only in README.mb.  Is that OK?
>
> It seems I'm not looking forward to announce widely them since we will
> go into a direction supporting the national character and when they
> would be available, application interfaces might be changed
> dramatically.
>
> Comments?

OK, removed from list.

Tom Lane writes:

> initlocation has switches ... look at the source ...

They also come with this notice

# These options are not really necessary, but what the heck.

I think the change was actually to not require the option switch as such
anymore (because there's nothing else you could do anyway), so the
documentation could be considered up to date. :) Maybe I can put in a note
though.

Re: Updated docs needed for 7.0

Дата:
> Tom Lane writes:
>> initlocation has switches ... look at the source ...

> They also come with this notice

> # These options are not really necessary, but what the heck.

> I think the change was actually to not require the option switch as such
> anymore (because there's nothing else you could do anyway), so the
> documentation could be considered up to date. :) Maybe I can put in a note
> though.

OK, I hadn't actually stopped to look at what the options were ;-),
I was just skimming through Bruce's list of potential trouble spots
as fast as I could.

If you think there's no need to add more documentation, I'm cool with
that.  The point of this exercise was just to make sure nothing had
slipped through the cracks.  Making a conscious decision not to document
something is not dropping the ball.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Updated docs needed for 7.0

Дата:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > initlocation has switches ... look at the source ...
>
> They also come with this notice
>
> # These options are not really necessary, but what the heck.
>
> I think the change was actually to not require the option switch as such
> anymore (because there's nothing else you could do anyway), so the
> documentation could be considered up to date. :) Maybe I can put in a note
> though.

That's all I needed to hear.  Doc TODO item removed.