Обсуждение: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2

Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2

От
Jason Tishler
New News:
=== ====
I have updated the version of PostgreSQL to 7.3.2-2.  The tarballs should
be available on a Cygwin mirror near you shortly.

This version is built against cygipc 1.14-1 which contains a fix to
properly handle Windows XP's Fast User Switching.  If interested, see
the following for the details:

Old News:
=== ====
PostgreSQL is an open-source, Object-Relational DBMS.  If interested,
see the PostgreSQL web site for more details:

    http://www.postgresql.org/

Please read the README file:

    /usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.3.2.README

since it covers requirements, installation, known issues, etc.

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.

Note that we have recently stopped downloads from sources.redhat.com
(aka cygwin.com) due to bandwidth limitations.  This means that you will
need to find a mirror which has this update.

In the US,
ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
is a reliable high bandwidth connection.

In Germany,
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/pc/gnuwin32/cygwin/mirrors/cygnus/
is usually pretty good.

In the UK,
http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/
is usually up-to-date within 48 hours.

If one of the above doesn't have the latest version of this package
then you can either wait for the site to be updated or find another
mirror.

The setup.exe program will figure out what needs to be updated on your
system and will install newer packages automatically.

If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at: cygwin@cygwin.com .  I would appreciate if you would
use this mailing list rather than emailing me directly.  This includes
ideas and comments about the setup utility or Cygwin in general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question, the Cygwin mailing list
is the appropriate place.

              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

Jason

Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2

От
Frank Seesink
Дата:
Jason Tishler wrote:
> New News:
> === ====
> I have updated the version of PostgreSQL to 7.3.2-2.  The tarballs should
> be available on a Cygwin mirror near you shortly.
>
> This version is built against cygipc 1.14-1 which contains a fix to
> properly handle Windows XP's Fast User Switching.  If interested, see
> the following for the details:
>
>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg00282.html

Jason,

    How version-specific is PostgreSQL under Cygwin with relation to
CygIPC?  I mean, from the above, it seems that a fix in the latter
requires a recompile of the former?  Is that accurate?  Or is that only
in specific cases like this one with the Fast User Context Switching
(FUCS)?  [Acronym unintentional...but kind of amusing when I think about
it. :-) ]

    I only ask because I saw the updated CygIPC 1.14-1 this morning and
figured I'd test against it (with the same same PostgreSQL 7.3.2-1
that's been installed).  FYI:  PostgreSQL 7.3.2-1 behaves no differently
than before--initdb still fails if you use FUCS--but 'ipctest s' DOES
work even when logged in using FUCS, and PostgreSQL itself runs just fine.

    I suspect my results answer my own question, but wanted to make sure.

Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2 --still trouble in

От
Frank Seesink
Дата:
Jason,

    Answered my own question.  Having installed CygIPC 1.14-1 and
PostgreSQL 7.3.2-2 on two different PCs, I can say with some certainty
that the fixes in place have helped...to an extent.  HOWEVER, there
still appears to be a bug in 'psql' related to Fast User Context
Switching.  Let me explain.

    On PC #1 (my test box), I simply used Cygwin's 'setup.exe' to update my
installation to the latest and greatest PostgreSQL 7.3.2-2, being sure
to shutdown 'postmaster' and 'ipc-daemon' prior to installing (the
latter for completeness rather than necessity).  On PC #2 (my laptop), I
never had gotten around to installing PostgreSQL, so decided now was a
good time to test.

    All now appears to be working better (note: WITH the snapshot
cygwin1.dll in place, mind you).  User 'postgres' can run 'initdb' just
fine, even if you context switch over to that account instead of logging
completely out of your admin account and then log in as 'postgres'
(making sure to be in context 0, or the first user signed on).  In other
words, logged in as a 2nd user, I was able to run

    $ initdb /usr/share/postgresql/data

without issue.

    HOWEVER, 'psql' still fails miserably when using internal sockets.  If
you are signed in as the FIRST user in XP, you're fine.  But do a
'Switch User' and log in under another account, and you will find trying
to run

    $ psql -U postgres template1

fails.  This, by the way, occurs whether you are logged in first as your
Admin account and switch over to the 'postgres' account, or vice versa.
  So it does NOT appear to be a permissions issue.

    Note that, for now, simply using the TCP/IP connection by adding the switch

    $ psql -h localhost -U postgres template1

works just fine, whether as the first or second user (haven't tried
being logged in as more users than that :-) ).  This, of course, assumes
postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf are properly edited.

    Anyway, figured you might like to know.

Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Frank,

[Note redirected from cygwin-announce@ to cygwin@...]

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:16:37PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >New News:
> >=== ====
> >This version is built against cygipc 1.14-1 which contains a fix to
> >properly handle Windows XP's Fast User Switching.  If interested, see
> >the following for the details:
> >
> >    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg00282.html
>
> Jason,
>
> How version-specific is PostgreSQL under Cygwin with relation to
> CygIPC?

Somewhat.

> I mean, from the above, it seems that a fix in the latter requires a
> recompile of the former?

It depends.

> Or is that only in specific cases like this one with the Fast User
> Context Switching (FUCS)?

If the change is internal to ipc-daemon then no recompile of PostgreSQL
should be necessary.  On the other hand, if the change is in libcygipc.a,
then a recompile is necessary.

> [Acronym unintentional...but kind of amusing when I think about
> it. :-) ]

Agreed.  Maybe the CKOA <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#CKOA> will add it
to the list.

> I only ask because I saw the updated CygIPC 1.14-1 this morning and
> figured I'd test against it (with the same same PostgreSQL 7.3.2-1
> that's been installed).  FYI:  PostgreSQL 7.3.2-1 behaves no differently
> than before--initdb still fails if you use FUCS--but 'ipctest s' DOES
> work even when logged in using FUCS, and PostgreSQL itself runs just fine.

The above is the expected behavior because the FUCS change is in
libcygipc.a (and ipc-daemon).

Jason

Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2 --still

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Frank,

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 09:03:59PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
> HOWEVER, 'psql' still fails miserably when using internal sockets.  If
> you are signed in as the FIRST user in XP, you're fine.  But do a
> 'Switch User' and log in under another account, and you will find
> trying to run
>
>   $ psql -U postgres template1
>
> fails.  This, by the way, occurs whether you are logged in first as
> your Admin account and switch over to the 'postgres' account, or vice
> versa.

See attached -- I was concerned that the separate XP namespaces could
affect Cygwin itself.  PostgreSQL's use of AF_UNIX sockets is the first
known case of this problem:

    $ handle -a -p postgres | fgrep secret
      364: Event \BaseNamedObjects\cygwin.local_socket.secret.54788.00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000

> Anyway, figured you might like to know.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I will work with the other
Cygwin developers to fix this problem and hopefully prevent others.

Jason

Does Cygwin itself need to be enhanced to support XP Fast User Switching
too?  See the following for the details:

While debugging the above, I noticed the following:

    $ handle -a -p mutt | fgrep '\BaseNamedObjects\cygwin'
       68: Section       \BaseNamedObjects\cygwin1S3.shared.3
       8c: Mutant        \BaseNamedObjects\cygwin1S3.title_mutex.0
       90: Section       \BaseNamedObjects\cygwin1S3.JATIS.27
       ac: Semaphore     \BaseNamedObjects\cygwin1S3.sigcatch.2128

Are there any Cygwin events, semaphores, etc. that can be similarly
affected by the multiple namespace issue too?

Jason

Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2 --still

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Frank,

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 08:08:20AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 09:03:59PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
> See attached -- I was concerned that the separate XP namespaces could
> affect Cygwin itself.  PostgreSQL's use of AF_UNIX sockets is the
> first known case of this problem:
>
>     $ handle -a -p postgres | fgrep secret
>       364: Event \BaseNamedObjects\cygwin.local_socket.secret.54788.00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000
>
> > Anyway, figured you might like to know.
>
> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I will work with the other
> Cygwin developers to fix this problem and hopefully prevent others.

The above problem has been fixed and committed to Cygwin CVS:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2003-q2/msg00112.html

Please try a Cygwin snapshot containing this fix when available:

    http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Thanks,
Jason