Обсуждение: pgsql: Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.

pgsql: Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.

Since 2004, int2 and int4 operators do detect overflow; this was fixed by
commit 4171bb869f234281a13bb862d3b1e577bf336242.

Extracted from a larger patch by Andres Freund.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=8d70ed84ba577abf9e985518024fb92e2081dac9

Modified Files
--------------
src/test/regress/expected/int2.out |    2 --
src/test/regress/expected/int4.out |    2 --
src/test/regress/sql/int2.sql      |    2 --
src/test/regress/sql/int4.sql      |    2 --

Re: pgsql: Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.

Дата:
Robert Haas wrote:
> Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.
>
> Since 2004, int2 and int4 operators do detect overflow; this was fixed by
> commit 4171bb869f234281a13bb862d3b1e577bf336242.
>
> Extracted from a larger patch by Andres Freund.

I noticed with this commit that we are referencing pre-git-conversion
git branches, basically adding a dependency on git to our commit
messages.  I don't see a problem with this, but did we ever reference
CVS details in CVS commits?  I don't remember any.

Re: pgsql: Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.

Дата:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.
>>
>> Since 2004, int2 and int4 operators do detect overflow; this was fixed by
>> commit 4171bb869f234281a13bb862d3b1e577bf336242.
>>
>> Extracted from a larger patch by Andres Freund.

> I noticed with this commit that we are referencing pre-git-conversion
> git branches, basically adding a dependency on git to our commit
> messages.  I don't see a problem with this, but did we ever reference
> CVS details in CVS commits?  I don't remember any.

I've usually preferred to use a date, eg, "my patch of 2009-10-07",
when referring to previous patches in commit messages.  I think people
have occasionally mentioned CVS revision IDs, but the folly of that
should now be obvious.  I agree that reference to a git hash is way
way way too fragile and git-centric.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:
> >> Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.
> >>
> >> Since 2004, int2 and int4 operators do detect overflow; this was fixed by
> >> commit 4171bb869f234281a13bb862d3b1e577bf336242.
> >>
> >> Extracted from a larger patch by Andres Freund.
>
> > I noticed with this commit that we are referencing pre-git-conversion
> > git branches, basically adding a dependency on git to our commit
> > messages.  I don't see a problem with this, but did we ever reference
> > CVS details in CVS commits?  I don't remember any.
>
> I've usually preferred to use a date, eg, "my patch of 2009-10-07",
> when referring to previous patches in commit messages.  I think people
> have occasionally mentioned CVS revision IDs, but the folly of that
> should now be obvious.  I agree that reference to a git hash is way
> way way too fragile and git-centric.

Who's going to be the first to say that being git-centric can't ever be
a bad thing?  ;-)

Re: pgsql: Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Nov 27, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Who's going to be the first to say that being git-centric can't ever be
> a bad thing?  ;-)

At least for me, referring to it that way makes finding the original patch an order of magnitude faster (git show
hash). YMMV.

...Robert

Re: pgsql: Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.

Дата:
> On Nov 27, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Who's going to be the first to say that being git-centric can't ever be
>> a bad thing?  ;-)

> At least for me, referring to it that way makes finding the original patch an order of magnitude faster (git show
hash). YMMV.

[ shrug... ]  You need to take the long view here.  We're not working on
the assumption that git is the last SCM this project will ever use.
Even granting that it is, I don't think git hashes are adequately stable;
hashes.  And AFAIK there is no mechanism that would fix hash references
embedded in commit log messages (or the code).

            regards, tom lane